RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I live in Toronto and bought my 19.5 RRS HST this summer, I have the 21' all-season tires from the factory and I wonder if it's necessary to buy those expensive winter tires. After all, this is a range rover, I have high expectation on its winter accessibility. Cheers!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Winter tires for winter conditions, it will always be better than all season no matter which car you have.
I live in sunny CA, so I don't need them, but if you're in Toronto, best to get dedicated winters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you can afford winter tires it’s an easy decision. The RRS is a very capable car but it’s heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi guys, I live in Toronto and bought my 19.5 RRS HST this summer, I have the 21' all-season tires from the factory and I wonder if it's necessary to buy those expensive winter tires. After all, this is a range rover, I have high expectation on its winter accessibility. Cheers!
I am in Chicago. All seasons are ok and with the RR your are not going to get stuck, but i found once temps drop below freezing the tires freeze and it is like having frozen hockey pucks. You will slide on wet and snow when starting/stopping/turning unless do so cautiously. Manageable but not optimal. Get them if you can. Spent a full year without them and it is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too live in Northern Illinois, and I have driven thru many a winter both with and without... and let's just put it this way, I will never go thru another winter without them. I found some 20in RR rims in black, from this message board no less, and then a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winters from some guy in New York that I found on ebay, BOTH for ridiculously good deals. I then had to buy new TPM's for these, so that I could just swap out every season, to have dedicated winter wheels. I like the seasons, because then in winter I have black rims, that I'm not worried about salt, and then I rock the 22in aluminums in summer. Bring it on Mother Nature...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am in Chicago. All seasons are ok and with the RR your are not going to get stuck, but i found once temps drop below freezing the tires freeze and it is like having frozen hockey pucks. You will slide on wet and snow when starting/stopping/turning unless do so cautiously. Manageable but not optimal. Get them if you can. Spent a full year without them and it is a noticeable difference.
You're not kidding about the frozen hockey puck experience. Last winter I was in Tahoe with snow and ice on the ground. Had the stock Continental all seasons. I was driving carefully and at a very low speed, couldn't brake or turn until I hit a fence. Get winter tires if you are in snow or ice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're not kidding about the frozen hockey puck experience. Last winter I was in Tahoe with snow and ice on the ground. Had the stock Continental all seasons. I was driving carefully and at a very low speed, couldn't brake or turn until I hit a fence. Get winter tires if you are in snow or ice.
Same story here; ONCE (never more!) was driving on all season tyres on the Autobahn, in the winter. Temp around - 2-3C, road salted with snowy, watery mud. Tried to brake to take exit (quite late, last moment decision), made a slow motion slip - perfectly on track, thanks to stability controls! - of about 100 meters.
First thing I did when home to get rid of the all season tyres. Remind, these are 2.5 ton weight cars!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Winter tires are always worth the investment, they operate better in freezing temps. Easiest is to put more aggressive winter tires on some smaller diameter wheels. Keep a nice set with all-seasons or summers for when the weather rises and you swap them out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Winter tires are always worth the investment, they operate better in freezing temps. Easiest is to put more aggressive winter tires on some smaller diameter wheels. Keep a nice set with all-seasons or summers for when the weather rises and you swap them out.
this sounds familiar...

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I have a set of 21” wheels from ebay, Tpms sensors from lrdirect to be delivered by Friday and the tire shop got in 4 Nokian Hakkapalittas r3 suv for me.
This ended up being more expansive than I planned. This is my first time ever using snow tires. Hope it’s worth it. I am in the snowy mountains during the winter weekends. Woke to -14f one morning last year. So test them I will.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just to echo all of the responses posted above: get a dedicated set if you plan to drive in any region where you have a considerable amount of snow. I swap mine out every year (I have 21" Continental winter tires and they are great). If I were to do it over, I would purchase dedicated 20" wheels and go with the Nokians.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have a pretty good tire place by me and they advised me to just swap tires and stay with the 21 rims. I bought 21 Pirelli Scorpion Winters winter tires and found them to work perfect for the 3-4 winter months around here and saved me a little money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Four wheel drive w/all season tires are okay to keep you going forward in snow/ice but agree that dedicated snow tires are far superior to all season, particularly when it comes to stopping and gripping in turns. Now in AZ but previously in IL and have been able to pick-up good OEM take-off wheels on Craig's List, typically under $500/set.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes from Minnesota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Toronto as well, and this is my third SUV that I have owned, and I find my RRS SE with stock 20" tires slides around badly in snowy/icy conditions (even when driving at low to moderate speeds, with the snow traction setting on). My previous Acura MDX and Toyota SUV were fine with all season tires. This will be my third winter with the RRS and I finally decided to buy a set of dedicated winter tires and rims. Costco didn't have my size, but I ended up buying online from PMC tire and they shipped the set to my home with the tires mounted/balance. I also ordered them with the TPMS pressure sensors. I'm planning to change the tires myself tomorrow (after buying some tools from Canadian Tire), before the "big" snow storm comes. Still have to search online for the recommended lug nuts torque tension settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update on my DIY winter tires install today. I currently have OEM 20" 520 all season tires on my 2016 RRS SE, and the 19" rims I ordered were too small inside the rim and touching the brake calipers, even though the RTX website (rim maker) and PMC online store and guy whom I chatted with confirmed it would fit. Luckily PMC will take it back for full refund (Fedex) and now I need to order a new and bigger set. I managed to find the specs to my 20" tires online from a few websites, so I tried to find the set of rims closest to those specs in hopes of finding a aftermarket rim that fits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in Toronto as well, and this is my third SUV that I have owned, and I find my RRS SE with stock 20" tires slides around badly in snowy/icy conditions (even when driving at low to moderate speeds, with the snow traction setting on). My previous Acura MDX and Toyota SUV were fine with all season tires. This will be my third winter with the RRS and I finally decided to buy a set of dedicated winter tires and rims. Costco didn't have my size, but I ended up buying online from PMC tire and they shipped the set to my home with the tires mounted/balance. I also ordered them with the TPMS pressure sensors. I'm planning to change the tires myself tomorrow (after buying some tools from Canadian Tire), before the "big" snow storm comes. Still have to search online for the recommended lug nuts torque tension settings.
Update from today's driving, all are fine, gonna hang out now and see if there is an issue

·
Registered
475 Posts
Update from yesterday's driving in northcentral Illinois. My 9 month old bridgestone duelers were worthless in the snow and ice. Can't wait to get my Continental winters on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts