RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have always had a second set of rims with Nokian snows on them for my past L322's...I have to load the truck up with the 4 mounted rims to the tire guy where he swaps and then bring them back home...4 months later I do the reverse....anyone just swap tires and not have to deal with heavy mounted rims / tires and a second set of TPMS units?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
why not just change to a winter set your self? If you do not have an air compressor you can pick up an electric impact wrench. After breaking nuts loose by hand it takes less than 10 minutes to change each corner and properly hand tighten nuts. This ensures no damage to wheels and proper handling. Best of all, tyres never have to be in the back of your rig.

Changing tyres only affords the possibility of rim damage everytime they dismount a tyre and every time they mount one. The paint on rims is not designed for or able to stand up to repeated mounting and dismounting of tyres. Most rims only see three or four sets of tyres in the life of the vehicle. in only two years you would have gone through a lifetime of tyre changes.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I have my tires swapped & stored at the dealer. I don't have a second set of rims.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not just change to a winter set your self? If you do not have an air compressor you can pick up an electric impact wrench. After breaking nuts loose by hand it takes less than 10 minutes to change each corner and properly hand tighten nuts. This ensures no damage to wheels and proper handling. Best of all, tyres never have to be in the back of your rig.
I used to change them myself using my 4 post lift and and the sliding jack, however with some health issues I can't due it anymore...even lifting those lumps from the ground into the cargo area is a bit much...

I wish my guy would store the off season tires or rims / tires...I would even pay a few $$ to have them come to the house and swap them...

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Perhaps it's time to buy a few pints for the local mobile mechanic. :mrgreen: I'm sure most any mobile mechanic would love to have a regular quick and easy job that requires no troubleshooting.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish...you have to beg people to do work in the People's Republik of NJ....lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a second set of rims. I got them off of eBay with delivery mileage tires/TPMS on and they had been powder coated black. So they became my normal set. The rims that came with the car get the Nokians and I swap them when we go skiing. Takes about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Im getting my winter nokian tire set for my 20in wheels. The dealer is excellent in setting me up and am looking to get this done within the following week due to the cold temps and possible snow to follow. The summer 22s wont work right soon lol. I love having two sets of wheels one summer and one winter because it makes it very easy instead having wheel damage like mentioned earlier

·
Registered
352 Posts
I prefer to keep the OEM (and my nice big 22" wheels) look year round so I have a set of 22" Pirelli snow tires on our RR and no issues with swapping twice a year. My guy stores them at his shop and I just pull in, and I'm in and out within the hour.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I've been struggling to find 22" snow tyres in the UK. What did you buy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts