RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone uses studded tires- I live in NY-metroplitan area, but like to ski- are they necessary/better, and is the noise that bad- was thinking of Nokia Hakkapellitta 8 or for nonstuddedthe R2 SUV? Anyone use either? thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for raising the issue, I have been researching the same topic.

I am the new owner of a 2016 TD6 HSE with 20" wheels. I would like a snow tire for the 20" wheel but there doesn't seem to be much with an XL load rating. Nokian has been all I can find.

I'm also considering buying a set of 19" wheels as they are affordable and there is a Pirelli tire available in the 19" size for the L405.

Does anyone have fresh experience with snow tires for this size? I'm not planning to use studded tires.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
On ice and packed snow the studs will be far superior. On fresh/loose snow there is not any difference. You should consider how much you drive on those conditions before you decide. It's not the noise that is the problem on bare tarmac, it's more your environmental consciousness, because it really wears on the tarmac. If you only have like 3-4 weekend trips you might as well go for tires without studs and drive a little slower when you are on packed snow. I use studded as we have a long winter over here. You will find premium brands at least up to 22" (which I have).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thats to OneStepAhead who spotted a set on eBay last year I. When I was up in the mountains this ski season I ran with a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. Probably not as good as the R2s but outstandingly good on ice, packed and loose snow.

Unless you are living on packed snow and ice I would tend away from studs, they can be a PITA on clear ploughed roads even for short distances. If you are however somewhere where they plough down to packed snow (as in parts of Norway) then go for them.

Sean

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
92 Posts
Curious if anyone uses studded tires- I live in NY-metroplitan area, but like to ski...
I'm all over upstate NY / Ontario Canada in the winter and I've never used snow tires on any of my RRs, let alone studded snows. Maybe that makes me an idiot (lol) but I've managed to get by just fine with all seasons, even in tricky spots around the Adirondacks and lake effect snow bands. I'd settle for non-studded snow tires if anything.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This past winter with the record snow fall we had I did just fine with the stock tires. I was considering getting me some Nokians but then when its snowing hard or nasty outside im usually inside lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We picked up our RR in November 2015 and it has performed well in the Goodyear Eagle F1 all-terrrain tires several times in Stowe and Jay Peak in Vermont this past winter, with snowstorms during our stay. I just choose the snow terrain setting and we were good to go, even on steep inclines. My only concern were those behind me on the way down the mountain.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm on my 4th winter in Colorado and in fact spent one living in Telluride. I regularly "ignore the forecast" and plow ahead whatever conditions are on the way. I've driven some of the sketchiest mountain passes in Colorado in severe storms and ran Nokian Hakka R2's. Yes all seasons are fine, until braking or steering distances of a couple of ft/inches matter and then you're cooked on all seasons, especially the Eagle's that come on this Rovers which are not very good all-seasons even as far as A/S go. Problem with winter/snow driving is under normal circumstances sure you're fine, but when other people slide and nearly crash into you, or you have to suddenly brake, or any other sudden hazard pops up, All Seasons won't allow you to react with the precision that a snow tire can. Tirerack has some awesome videos on this, although frankly experienced it myself many times. If you have snow and ice where you live, do yourself a favor and spend a grand on proper winter tires. It isn't just for the snow, but regular tires are really designed to operate that well at temps below 40 typically. Blizzak's are great but the wear very fast. Again Nokian's are awesome, I've sold probably at least 5 of my friends on them and those of us in the high Rockies know that those in the know use these tires. With that said, I know have the BFG K02's on my Rover and they have a full snowflake rating. I found they were almost as good as the Nokian's in the snow. Almost.... ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
just bought some pirelli scorpion winters for my 22" style 6 on my rr sc.

will report back later. the contis are just ok in the messy stuff. i didn't have enough confidence in them

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just order a set of Nokia Hakka 8 non studded tires for my '15 RR Supercharged.

These non studded Hakka 8s are not typically available in the US, but I have a home in northern Vermont and because of proximity to Canada the local tire center is able to get them. Putting them on next weekend as business travel and some other commitments over the next two months make this about the only time I can get them installed between now and mid December. Will post a review once I've had some drive time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
ordered some Nokian Hakka R2's today at 275 instead of 255/55-20 but it seems they will still work according to dealer. I look forward to using these up in Northern California this year as I'm tired of slipping around in my A/S tires when it snows. Just because the truck knows how to 'drive' in the snow, doesn't mean the A/S tires would keep up.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Have been running with the Nokian R2's on the Rover and Cayenne for several seasons and are great in dry and fantastic in snow / ice...Question would be, will my current 19" Rims with snows fit on a 2017 Supercharged? What is the min rim size on a SC?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the Nokian R2 - but no snow yet. They drive smoothly and are quiet. I think its a better ride that the Pirelli I had prior-

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
119 Posts
Ran studs on a car in Europe for a few years.

Never again.

Buy 19 inch rims and go Blizzak.

None better.

Good luck.

·
Registered
543 Posts
B1.

Have you had a look a the Dick Cepek Trail Country which is available in P275/55R20 that's XL rated and Mud + Snow ready for this winter ?

I checked the tire matrix chart from this forum and a narrowest tyre specified is 31" tall, so long as your 20 inch rims are 7.5-9.5 wide mista !

Another possibility could be the european Verdi's which have tyres in larger rim sizes for FFRR Mk4 members with wheels greater than 20".

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Hi-line
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I ordered the Nokia R2 and was told they come in the 255/55/20. Just curious why people were ordering the 275/55/20's.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I'm all over upstate NY / Ontario Canada in the winter and I've never used snow tires on any of my RRs, let alone studded snows. Maybe that makes me an idiot (lol) but I've managed to get by just fine with all seasons, even in tricky spots around the Adirondacks and lake effect snow bands. I'd settle for non-studded snow tires if anything.
Same here with my L322 and L320, never really needed full blown snow tires up here in northern Wisconsin, I just stay away from any unfrozen mud and I'll be fine!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Nokian all weather tires are wonderful and can be driven year round. They are filling a gap between winters and all seasons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have had the Hakka 8 non studded on for a while now and have finally had the opportunity to drive in real winter weather. So far so good. No problem getting up (or down!) our slick driveway (even our plow guy doesn't like it), or getting over mountain passes in Northern Vermont.

The tire obviously is a tad louder on pavement and not as supple as the Goodyear F1 all seasons (at least they claim to be all seasons!), but so far I'm pleased with the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts