RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am having trouble finding the correct windshield wipers for my 1994 RRC SWB. I understand they are 18 inches, however I have run into two problems. First, most wipers do not seem to have a nipple like projection which locks the wiper blade onto the arm, and therefore after a few swipes of the arm, the wiper works it's way loose. Second, the "J" part of the wiper arm which attaches to the wiper blade is either too narrow, or the mounting part of all the wipers I've tried is too wide and thus, once on, there is excessive play of the wiper. For example, when the wiper is sitting on the glass and is turned on, the entire blade pivots too much forward and backwards with respect to the direction of the movement. As I'm writing this I realize how poor of a description it is :roll:. Of the three wiper blades on the car, the only one that seems to properly fit is the rear and it says "Trico 8mm" on it, but after searching online I'm not able to find it. I've also searched online for anyone with a similar problem and can't find anything. I also spoke with Atlantic British and they weren't sure if their wipers have the projection to lock it into place. I hope I'm not the only one with this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I’ve been using the Rain-X blades on my 95 RRC for a few years; very happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the Rain-X, but they're loose. Either the mounting point is too wide on the blade or the arm is too narrow

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
they come with an adaptor, the wiper arms on a classic are basically japanese style J hook arms. generic at any parts store and the adaptor is normally included in the kit.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Also, the plastic caps for the wiper arms can be replaced w/ Jaguar parts. There’s a thread in this forum with the part # and a few suppliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have he same issue. i even bough some from atlantic british specifically for my truck and they didnt fit quite right. i ended up reusing the clips that were on the old wipers with the new blades. Frustrating.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Strange. I've never run into this, on a 1996 D1 or the '95 LWB. In fact, the wiper arms use the same adaptors as my 2003 VW Jetta. Wipers I've used come with a section of adaptors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, only the rear wiper fits correctly, so I can reuse it's adapter. However the front do not and I have tried using the adapters some new wipers come with and none have the protrusion to lock it into place. It's so frustrating!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Unfortunately, only the rear wiper fits correctly, so I can reuse it's adapter. However the front do not and I have tried using the adapters some new wipers come with and none have the protrusion to lock it into place. It's so frustrating!
Rain-x blades with adapters fit perfectly and are locked in. Great thing is, I picked them up at the local auto parts store, so no waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip, however I went and tried the Rain-X. With the adapter, they indeed lock into place. However there is too much play/pivoting of the wiper blade with respect to the direction the wiper arm is traveling.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Good grief folks. Sooo many wiper issues and so easily solved. Go find good old fashioned squeegee replacements and reuse your arms and blades. unless your blade pivots have lost their flexibility you can just replace the rubber. If your arm springs are shot and you are getting lift and streaking for lack of glass contact, go purchase new arms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The arms themselves are fine. It's just when the wiper is fit, there is excessive play. If it was just a matter or replacing the blade itself, then that would be fine. But the entire wiper pivots excessively at the mounting point to the arm. I think it's a matter of finding the appropriate adapter, which unfortunately none of the wipers I have tried include. I think my best bet is to take the arm to a pick n' pull wrecking yard and try on different wipers to see which fits, then take the adapter from the wiper and use it on a new blade.

·
Registered
718 Posts
worse comes to worst, you can always replace the arms with another genuine set that seem to work with off the shelf wipers. I might go that route if mine start to act up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts