Range Rovers Forum banner

Windshield VIN tag moisture

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mancerator 
#1 ·
Took my 3 week old RRS SVR on a trip yesterday through intermittent sometimes heavy rain. Noticed today the windshield VIN tag is area has significant moisture build up. I personally don’t care if it eventually evaporates as long as water isn’t getting into the cabin. Anyone know what the design of the front windshield area is? Is the VIN tag sealed with its own area separately from the rest of the windshield? My concern is that moisture is near this area so it is likely getting elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I checked and I do not have this moisture ever.
Do you think it’s possible that some water got into the car from an open window or something?

#3 ·
That's a significant amount of condensation which indicates there's a lot of water somewhere below the dash. Given the heavy rains you describe my first thought is a windshield leak. The glass is typically installed with a sealer around the entire perimeter that seals it and holds it in place. It's possible there is a gap in that sealer which allowed rainwater where it shouldn't be.
I assume by "3 week old" that's it's new so should be brought back to the dealer and repaired under warranty. I wouldn't ignore it as there are probably other wet parts you can't see that can eventually cause problems including faulty electrical connections, damage/warping of wood trim and mold/mildew.

#4 ·
Mancerator, if there was lots of water below his dash I believe the OP would have heard it is sloshing around in corners or feel it dripping on to his carpets while driving.

Those stickers are just that... stickers. That does not look like moisture, it looks glue delaminating. Where ever it was done, Factory/SVR/port. you have a warranty that should cover replacement if a replacement can be made. Now because this an individual item... You will have to cut dealer some slack. They will will have to call corporate to see if a replacement is even possible. If is not you can ask the dealer to remove it and any residue left.

#10 ·
Mancerator, if there was lots of water below his dash I believe the OP would have heard it is sloshing around in corners or feel it dripping on to his carpets while driving.

By "lots of water" I meant if there is that much condensation visible through the VIN window (actual droplets not just foggy) how much more has condensed where it can't be seen and possibly not dry out? jjvd21 stated it occurred after driving through rain which points to a leak and VIN is on the dash at the bottom of the windshield but obviously it could be something besides the windshield seal. Taking it to the dealer is the right place to start.

#5 ·
Took it to my local LR dealer. They confirmed that they have never seen condensation on the VIN tag like that in any LR product.

The condensation has now dried but there are actual pin head stains on the underside of the windshield. Dealer says it’s likely a faulty windshield seal which is surprising given they are installed by machines at the factory. Very disappointed to face the fact of a potential windshield replacement on a brand new 19.5 RRS SVR (received with 20 miles on odometer) as I am certain some other collateral damage or issue will occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.