RangeRovers.net Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Why won’t later than a 2009 fit your vehicle?

2010-2012:

2008-2009:

2007:

2003-2006:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beacsue they seem to have a different type of rain sensor connector and they also have the infra red feature which isnt supported on 03,04,05,06 models?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Beacsue they seem to have a different type of rain sensor connector and they also have the infra red feature which isnt supported on 03,04,05,06 models?
Not sure anything actually changes in the glass or that’s a separate connection. Climate glass simply didn’t exist in the earlier L322 years. So I imagine that’s why it’s only 2010-2012. They didn’t retro the part to earlier years when it came out.

The rain sensor may in fact be different. Adaptive cruise was an OPTION but did that have anything to do with the glass?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Thats right , adaptive cruise , the on creen messages the infrared dimming are not connection that are supported in onlder models , not the newer models have information mats displaying on your windsheild .. wont work on an older model.. but the dimentions of the screens are all the same.. the elctrical connetions are the issue and the programing , see there is a program that monitors the funtions on all the electronics so it has to be coded , if you installed the later model screen and wired it up you might get it working but theere will be endless alrams if the monitorig software cannot read the values to confirm preset normal working conditions. That is where the issue lies.. i see it on yachts too where i do alot of programming and automation , the engine will work but the software can inhibit funtions and ofcourse the software is controlled by the manufacturer... that brings us all back to our knees infront of “land rover” the software owner.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thats right , adaptive cruise , the on creen messages the infrared dimming are not connection that are supported in onlder models , not the newer models have information mats displaying on your windsheild .. wont work on an older model.. but the dimentions of the screens are all the same.. the elctrical connetions are the issue and the programing , see there is a program that monitors the funtions on all the electronics so it has to be coded , if you installed the later model screen and wired it up you might get it working but theere will be endless alrams if the monitorig software cannot read the values to confirm preset normal working conditions. That is where the issue lies.. i see it on yachts too where i do alot of programming and automation , the engine will work but the software can inhibit funtions and ofcourse the software is controlled by the manufacturer... that brings us all back to our knees infront of “land rover” the software owner.
What it sounds like is a lot of the monitoring and sensing is done via reading voltages and impedance, but nearly no variance is allowed before an alarm or crippling error triggers. There’s no “wiggle room” for aging components or even sometimes environmental factors else it will throw an error that won’t be reproducible without those exact conditions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
What it sounds like is a lot of the monitoring and sensing is done via reading voltages and impedance, but nearly no variance is allowed before an alarm or crippling error triggers. There’s no “wiggle room” for aging components or even sometimes environmental factors else it will throw an error that won’t be reproducible without those exact conditions.

What they are doing is making it impossible for clones and copy cats , along with retaining their client base , if you buy any of their products you are tied to them through software , so you will need them . CHop shops and car lots cannot profit from any of these items without land rover profitting first , this is why progamming is such a huge market , your phone , your car your boats anything that requires electricity will have software protecting it going forward becase of thieves copycats and goons... the products i invent have the same code wirtten in to protect them , there is also a safety factor that is neccesary and this ties into insurance , if i want insurance to back me up i have to show them proff of safety masure where public utility applies becasue of liability lawsuits. software is the name of the game going forward expect it in every piece of electronics you own. i recently purchased some osh headphones for my walks as i love to listen to music and pod casts.. the thing would not work unless i registered them and uploaded some software first. if they are stolen or lost ii can call bosch and they will lock then remotely , smae goes for the ipad mac, etc...

·
Registered
491 Posts
What they are doing is making it impossible for clones and copy cats , along with retaining their client base , if you buy any of their products you are tied to them through software , so you will need them . CHop shops and car lots cannot profit from any of these items without land rover profitting first , this is why progamming is such a huge market , your phone , your car your boats anything that requires electricity will have software protecting it going forward becase of thieves copycats and goons... the products i invent have the same code wirtten in to protect them , there is also a safety factor that is neccesary and this ties into insurance , if i want insurance to back me up i have to show them proff of safety masure where public utility applies becasue of liability lawsuits. software is the name of the game going forward expect it in every piece of electronics you own. i recently purchased some osh headphones for my walks as i love to listen to music and pod casts.. the thing would not work unless i registered them and uploaded some software first. if they are stolen or lost ii can call bosch and they will lock then remotely , smae goes for the ipad mac, etc...
I remember when my independent replaced my ABS pump they had to use the controller from the old one or said it would have had to be a brand new part coded by the dealer.

Back on topic, would it be worthwhile to buy a newer model windshield and fashion new connectors for the heater element? Can you do that? I’m not aware if any codes parts are involved for a heater element or rain sensor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I remember when my independent replaced my ABS pump they had to use the controller from the old one or said it would have had to be a brand new part coded by the dealer.

Back on topic, would it be worthwhile to buy a newer model windshield and fashion new connectors for the heater element? Can you do that? I’m not aware if any codes parts are involved for a heater element or rain sensor.

I imagine it would be possible just snip the old winshield connectors and solder them on to the new ones and plug in.. dont see why not .Iwent and looked at the windshield i traced down and it has the acoustics the tint the heat wires and the rain sensors.. it is the windshield supposedly for a 2007 l322 but i will be having it installed Saturday. No reason why it wouldnt fit. cost me $600 including installation , also bout the seals and a new bottom cowl for a good finish. Definitely an upgrade , looking fwd to a silent cabin as i do my road trips..

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
Don’t buy anything but factory. You think it’s the same and then you find out the heater wires aren’t painted matte black so they shine in the sun and basically blind you. Rain sensors are off because the glass is different.

DO NOT... f*** with your windshield glass.

I cannot agree move. The OME part is proven to match perfectly in every way. I’m on my third OME windshield due to road trash when on highways. I do understand how original manufacturers parts cost more but you won’t deal with sunlight refraction and increase road noise when traveling on highways.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
264 Posts
Buying OEM only makes sense if the manufacturer of the car actually makes the part, for example the engine, OR if the manufacturer provides an aftermarket manufacturer with more stringent QC requirements and/or additional features. LR does not make its own windshields. Does it make any sense that a manufacturer like Pilkington would make two different grades of windshields for LR, one to carry the LR logo and one to not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although
I have been researching windshields as i feel mine has done a great job but is due for replacement.(large crack on passenger side do to highway debris)
My windshild is the original pilkington glass with the land rover logo on it. It is heated , has the rain sensors and the nice green tint.
Dealer wants $1100 just to buy it then another $300 to install.(Thugs)

So i started looking round and where is what i have found.

Pilkington used to make durable and fantastic glass ten years ago but no longer do so especially after getting aquired by AFG, A Japanese company.
they now no longer make the glass for landrover and the quality has changed. todays glass is thinner and thus lighter but still durable

Then i stumbled upon an company i had never heard of called FYG . from what i gather they make their own glass and seem to be generating a rather good reputation in the subaru and bmw world of cars , I got in touch with them and theiy do make a glass for the l322 at less than half the cost of the dealer($600) and that number includes installation and a lifetime warranty.

Their glass comes with everything the dealers has except the land rover logo.
So i asked them about the quality of the glass and the gentlamn was happy to explain to me why their glass was good. He xplained that ten years ago the glass had to be thicker to compensate for durability ut in todays times there are better quality product hat make glass therefore thickness is no longer neccesary to justify durability.i agreed with that theory in part because i see the parallels of that idiology on ither technical fieds i work in.

He also included a very important point that sold me on the FYG aftermarket option.
While the OEM seem to be the best option due to its provenance and the land rover logo the FYG glass comes with a layer of acoustic sound barrier in between the glass thus reducing highway/engine nose by approximately 3 decibels.

The OEM brand does NOT ome with an acoustic sound shield, costs twice as much and is built with a different standard to hat they had ten years ago. in other words OEM is not a better glass from a hardware perspective , all they have is the pilkington name and a land rover logo from back in the day , everything else has changed.

So i decided to go with FYG glass , included for $600 is
Heat layer
Rain sensors
Green U.V protective tint
2 year warranty on glass from time of install plus lifetime warranty on defects/distortion etc.
Very reasonable price with labor cost included.
The fitment was determined using my VIN# so that confirms correct fitting to vehicle.
I hope this helps others in their research.. carfeul with those dealerships out there...

NB: your windsheild does not have the acoustic layer if you do not see on it-
View attachment 283305
Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
My OEM windsheild does not have ANY of the above signs so i know it is not sound proof.
A 3 dB reduction in sound is not going to make the windshield "soundproof." Any decrease in noise is always welcome, but you are in for a disappointment if you anticipate total silence. Check out this website and play the test tone which provides a 3dB diminution in sound volume.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,085 Posts
A 3dB reduction is half the "loudness" of the original sound, so it is definately noticable, especially in the lower frequency ranges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been researching windshields as i feel mine has done a great job but is due for replacement.(large crack on passenger side do to highway debris)
My windshild is the original pilkington glass with the land rover logo on it. It is heated , has the rain sensors and the nice green tint.
Dealer wants $1100 just to buy it then another $300 to install.(Thugs)

So i started looking round and where is what i have found.

Pilkington used to make durable and fantastic glass ten years ago but no longer do so especially after getting aquired by AFG, A Japanese company.
they now no longer make the glass for landrover and the quality has changed. todays glass is thinner and thus lighter but still durable

Then i stumbled upon an company i had never heard of called FYG . from what i gather they make their own glass and seem to be generating a rather good reputation in the subaru and bmw world of cars , I got in touch with them and theiy do make a glass for the l322 at less than half the cost of the dealer($600) and that number includes installation and a lifetime warranty.

Their glass comes with everything the dealers has except the land rover logo.
So i asked them about the quality of the glass and the gentlamn was happy to explain to me why their glass was good. He xplained that ten years ago the glass had to be thicker to compensate for durability ut in todays times there are better quality product hat make glass therefore thickness is no longer neccesary to justify durability.i agreed with that theory in part because i see the parallels of that idiology on ither technical fieds i work in.

He also included a very important point that sold me on the FYG aftermarket option.
While the OEM seem to be the best option due to its provenance and the land rover logo the FYG glass comes with a layer of acoustic sound barrier in between the glass thus reducing highway/engine nose by approximately 3 decibels.

The OEM brand does NOT ome with an acoustic sound shield, costs twice as much and is built with a different standard to hat they had ten years ago. in other words OEM is not a better glass from a hardware perspective , all they have is the pilkington name and a land rover logo from back in the day , everything else has changed.

So i decided to go with FYG glass , included for $600 is
Heat layer
Rain sensors
Green U.V protective tint
2 year warranty on glass from time of install plus lifetime warranty on defects/distortion etc.
Very reasonable price with labor cost included.
The fitment was determined using my VIN# so that confirms correct fitting to vehicle.
I hope this helps others in their research.. carfeul with those dealerships out there...

NB: your windsheild does not have the acoustic layer if you do not see on it-
View attachment 283305
Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
My OEM windsheild does not have ANY of the above signs so i know it is not sound proof.
Good Job ! I have been wondering and researching the exact same thing. I just have a little star right now .... knock on wood but definitely looking for a remedy should I have to address it down the road here. Thanks for the info and please keep me updated on the progress and actual installation outcome as one thread mentioned that it’s possible things won’t work out with an aftermarket windshield. Good luck. I hope everything works out as planned and perfect. Thanks again for this info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why are so many here not using their comprehensive coverage under their insurance to repair or replace their windshields? Even a small pit can compromise the strength of the glass - and a crack is inviting disaster should something fly into the windshield at speed. Small pits and short cracks (3" or smaller) can usually be repaired - as long as they are not directly in the sight line of the driver. It is illegal in most states to drive with a damaged windshield. I suspect other countries have similar laws.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I imagine it would be possible just snip the old winshield connectors and solder them on to the new ones and plug in.. dont see why not .Iwent and looked at the windshield i traced down and it has the acoustics the tint the heat wires and the rain sensors.. it is the windshield supposedly for a 2007 l322 but i will be having it installed Saturday. No reason why it wouldnt fit. cost me $600 including installation , also bout the seals and a new bottom cowl for a good finish. Definitely an upgrade , looking fwd to a silent cabin as i do my road trips..
You will LOSE IT when you experience the quiet ride for the first time. No more yelling to your passenger on the highway. You can whisper now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth .. I live in US, state of Georgia. I received quotes from the dealer and the big brand windshield replacement companies in the US. VERY high prices for the windshield and labor to install it. Researched independent installers. Decided to go with an independent for a lot less. They used an aftermarket windshield that did come with a warranty for defects, they provided a warranty for the installation. I figured for the cost savings I'd give it a try. I've had the new windshield for almost a year and have had NO problems with it. All options and electronics work great. I couldn't be more happy. I plan to have them replace the windshield on my BMW. Maybe I got lucky but I do feel that same as others ... dealer options and pricing are NOT always the best choice. I did the same things on my rotors and brake pads, bought upgraded parts (much lower cost), hired someone local to install them (not the dealer) ... everything is great with the rotors/brakes. I saved over $2,000 US.

·
Registered
491 Posts
For what it's worth .. I live in US, state of Georgia. I received quotes from the dealer and the big brand windshield replacement companies in the US. VERY high prices for the windshield and labor to install it. Researched independent installers. Decided to go with an independent for a lot less. They used an aftermarket windshield that did come with a warranty for defects, they provided a warranty for the installation. I figured for the cost savings I'd give it a try. I've had the new windshield for almost a year and have had NO problems with it. All options and electronics work great. I couldn't be more happy. I plan to have them replace the windshield on my BMW. Maybe I got lucky but I do feel that same as others ... dealer options and pricing are NOT always the best choice. I did the same things on my rotors and brake pads, bought upgraded parts (much lower cost), hired someone local to install them (not the dealer) ... everything is great with the rotors/brakes. I saved over $2,000 US.
You avoided a scam is what you did.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Please keep us informed!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
It’s not my windshield, I don’t have to show you anything. You either see my point, or you’ll deny any facts I bring in front of you, and never acknowledge any point was made.

You’re approaching this with your mind already made up. And if you’re about to tell me you’re not, you’re setting the bar impossibly high for anything to change what you believe.

If you’re that bent out of shape over LR’s new products, then find a piece of donor glass that was manufactured in the same year your vehicle was. That should put to rest any concerns you have.

Or you can just buy your shanghai glass and hope you can “just reprogram” your rain sensor. We’re literally talking about ONE value. If this value and allowable range aren’t sufficient to adjust to your new glass (or the sensor is basically refusing to acknowledge any rain through it) you’re screwed. And that’s not something covered in your lifetime guarantee, unless a new rain sensor comes pre-mounted to your windshield.

You have to understand how these companies operate.

I believe you're showing some racial prejudice that could offend people. While Chinese products had a sometimes justifiable poor quality reputation, that is not accurate currently.

I have traveled to China several times since my first visit in 1978, most recently just a couple of years ago. I visited many manufacturers of electrical and medical systems that wanted me to carry their products in the USA. I found some that I would not collaborate with, mostly due to their small size and as yet unproven quality but most larger ones demonstrated excellent materials, process and finished product quality.

Cheap products can result from production efficiency, cheaper labor, manufacturing someone else' designs (legitimately under license or by unapproved copying) and are produced all around the world, including Britain and the USA. Some British and US made products are absolute rubbish. Caveat emptor.

I saw Honda engines being made in China for use in their OEM products. In fact, I bought a Chinese made Honda engine to replace one in a motorcycle I own. It bolted right in and connected to the original wiring transparently except that the new engine has an electric starter that was never available in the US from Honda so I had to add circuitry for that.

I also saw iPhones being assembled while I was in China. I can tell you that from a materials and construction standpoint, a Samsung is vastly superior by comparison.

So how do you like your Chinese made iPhone?

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322
35 Posts
Great information. Thanks to all who contributed.
Learned the hard way on my Mercedes 300CD a couple years ago.
Just HAD to have "OEM" glass due to perceived superior quality.
Found out after the fact that aftermarket glass was $275 less.
It was the exact same manufacturer/specs minus the three pointed star in the lower left hand corner...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I believe you're showing some racial prejudice that could offend people. While Chinese products had a sometimes justifiable poor quality reputation, that is not accurate currently.

I have traveled to China several times since my first visit in 1978, most recently just a couple of years ago. I visited many manufacturers of electrical and medical systems that wanted me to carry their products in the USA. I found some that I would not collaborate with, mostly due to their small size and as yet unproven quality but most larger ones demonstrated excellent materials, process and finished product quality.

Cheap products can result from production efficiency, cheaper labor, manufacturing someone else' designs (legitimately under license or by unapproved copying) and are produced all around the world, including Britain and the USA. Some British and US made products are absolute rubbish. Caveat emptor.

I saw Honda engines being made in China for use in their OEM products. In fact, I bought a Chinese made Honda engine to replace one in a motorcycle I own. It bolted right in and connected to the original wiring transparently except that the new engine has an electric starter that was never available in the US from Honda so I had to add circuitry for that.

I also saw iPhones being assembled while I was in China. I can tell you that from a materials and construction standpoint, a Samsung is vastly superior by comparison.

So how do you like your Chinese made iPhone?
Your initial claims and closing rhetoric are at odds with one another. Not sure why you’re making blanket statements like “While Chinese products had a sometimes justifiable poor quality reputation, that is not accurate currently.” This leaves out any chance that a Chinese manufacturer could today produce an inferior product. Such grand claims are Chinese-supremacist as well as wildly inaccurate.

China already has 1B+ people defending it’s reputation. Why are you stepping in front of them?

101 - 120 of 143 Posts