Range Rovers Forum banner
81 - 100 of 154 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
A local independent had their "glass guy" install it. He also did a sloppy job which I told them about.

Original and aftermarket pictures. Both have heating elements.
Does your vehicles VIN fall in between XXXXX5A- XXXXX7A? Because based on the grouping it may be possible for an 05 to use a windsheild built for an 2010 within the same VIN grouping.

Discussion starter · #82 · (Edited)
I didn't have a choice (beyond the options I selected) when I made the appointment but they did tell me it was original glass, they seemed to beleive it was the only option they had, and it turned out to be LR labeled pilkington glass when I got there. You can call the local branch and make sure its what you ordered before getting the job done, or taking the glass with you, however you plan on doing it.
Gotcha... i will talk to them and hear what they say.. i think the Acoustic layer was offered after the roll out of the 05 and the complaints led them to make that addition for the later models... i dont think they changed the dimensions on fitment but someone failed to update the data change to include 05 models for an acoustic layer...Just spoke to safelight, You lucked out up there Mark .. safelight service down here is in the dumps... the sales rep told me to go to land rover if i wanted an original windshield.. this after i asked about getting one with the original tint plus all the bells and whilstles ....she was dismissive and informed me that they only install aftermarket glass.

Discussion starter · #83 · (Edited)
OP can you call your local Safelite branch and ask if they have the glass for you to see for yourself? (vs. paying first and risking the luck of the draw?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just spoke to safelight and sure enough the quote is for an undisclosed aftermarket brand... i then asked the sales rep about the tint , the acoustic inner layer and she told me if i wanted an original i had to go to Land rover as they do not install originals... WOW!....

Discussion starter · #84 ·
A local independent had their "glass guy" install it. He also did a sloppy job which I told them about.

Original and aftermarket pictures. Both have heating elements.
This is the clear non tinted glass , but has the acoustic inner layer non the less , no u.v protection.

Discussion starter · #87 ·
I don't think so.
SALMF1E40AAXXXXXX
So your windshield is in a different grouping compared to the early l322 , i fi bought your screen and tried to fit in my car there would be fitment issues but if i bought a screen from a different year vehicle but within the VIN grouping then i would fit on my car e.g an 06 or 07 model

Discussion starter · #88 ·
I don't think so.
SALMF1E40AAXXXXXX
So your windshield is in a different grouping compared to the early l322 , i fi bought your screen and tried to fit in my car there would be fitment issues but if i bought a screen from a different year vehicle but within the VIN grouping then i would fit on my car e.g an 06 or 07 model
I got a new windshield 4 months ago. The heating element is noticably more reflective than my original windshield and I'm not talking about distortions on the edges. If yours isn't, then good for you. I don't know why you're getting so defensive and bent out of shape about quoting someone I agreed with.
My current glass is factory i see tons of distortions on the edges and the heating wires are clearly viible at all times , i dont need to look at them from an angle or with additional light.. i can see them even during cloudy days... .. this is a pilkington glas btw...

Are we in agreement that the base factory option for these still included heater wires and acoustic properties? I imagine this was the “green” one. The only other option was to add thermal properties in the climate glass, which appears purple from the outside.

Discussion starter · #91 ·
Are we in agreement that the base factory option for these still included heater wires and acoustic properties? I imagine this was the “green” one. The only other option was to add thermal properties in the climate glass, which appears purple from the outside.

No , i think the early factory l322 had the rain sensor, the heated screen but NOT the acoustic layer when i say early i mean the 2005 models because mark has an 06 and he seems to have the acoustic layer on his with a factory glass.. unless it is aftermarket. My issue is with lack of acousic layer , i have everything else but that and it appears it is impossible to get factory glass or the 05 l322 with the acoustic layer as an option. so i am currently thinking of oder the glass for an 06 l322 since those have the acoustic layer AND everything else and putting it in.. see what happens...

Discussion starter · #92 ·
Can y’all review this link for me? I think I may be getting close:

I looked at it and yes it is a step closer , it seems to confirm the VIN grouping that has the spotty acoustic layer options , ASK that ebay seller if that glass has the acoustic layer , if they say yes you have a winner. Better yet have him send you a photo of the bottom right sreeen data so that you can see for yourself how/what is in that screen etc...Otherwise it is just the same as all the other out there that are incomplete... my guess is it does not have the acoustic layer...

Discussion starter · #93 ·
Can y’all review this link for me? I think I may be getting close:

Be careful ddm2k , the ebay ad says it is a used glass but the botom details of the poster says it is new , never used... for that price i would cought up the extra $100 and get a brand new one... aint worth spending $500 for a used glass...

Discussion starter · #94 ·
It appears that this is a nagging issue with other car forums too.. check out the link attached lol!.. it almost feels like we have been scammed by landrover.. the price you pay for these cars SHOULD have all the bells and whistles but no-one knows to look for this feature until it’s too late...

Discussion starter · #95 ·
Ihave been researching and i think i finally have proof that the windsheilds are interchangeable from the l322 years 2003 to 2009 , the part numbrs keep changing as you visit different dealer sites , i tried four and used the part numbers and their fitment tool , each time the part number that was a match one one dealer site for the 05 would also be a match for an 07 or 09 on a different site.
Some examples below , so i will be ordering using the prt number but knowing it can fit a wide array of cars , i think i found a screen in the u.k that has the sound proofing , the heting and the rain sensor..

Discussion starter · #96 ·
the one below will fit an 05 all the way up to an 07 model according to the vin grouping they display , it comes with the heat , the rain sensor but no mention of the acoustic layer...

Discussion starter · #97 · (Edited)
MORE research updates...i’m getting good at this..lol!.. I just learned that the glass that does NOT have the acoustic inner layer weights about 40 lbs , the one that has the inner layer weighs about 79 lbs , i was able to track one down that is within a ten mile range of my location , listed for $600 , going to go and visually inspect it in person tomorrow or Monday , will share what i find out. Have a good weekend..

MORE research updates...i’m getting good at this..lol!.. Ijust learned that the galss that does NOT have the acoustic inner layer weights about 40 lbs , the one that has the ley weighs about 79 lbs , i was able to track one down that is within a ten mile range of my location and unstuck , listed for $600 , going to go andvisually inspect it in person tomorrow or monday , will share what i find out. Have a good weekend..
Sticker on the one in my link clearly says 18kg so it’s a hard no in the acoustic insulation department. That’s just shy of 40 pounds.

It may fit and probably the only difference is that they has those exta UV layers in it. Did the 2010's and up have adaptive cruise control or auto braking, if so that glass may have connections for those systems which certainly are not used in the earlier vehicles.

81 - 100 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.