Range Rovers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 154 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 · (Edited)
I'm not positive that's true. I have zero symbols on my glass. Yet I can see the heating element, it says its tinted on the windshield, the window sticker indicates "climate glass" (assumes that's the tint) and it has a rain sensor. So despite not having symbols for tint/UV or heat, it has those features. It does have the -1 in the part number, but mine is M1859-1. So I'm not sure on acoustic. I can tell you it amazingly quiet on the road so I don't really care of it doesn't. For me and where I live, glad to have the tint for some protection to the dash and less heat inside.
Well , the labeling is debatable but there has to be a symlbol or number indicating what layers are there...

Discussion starter · #62 ·
I'm not positive that's true. I have zero symbols on my glass. Yet I can see the heating element, it says its tinted on the windshield, the window sticker indicates "climate glass" (assumes that's the tint) and it has a rain sensor. So despite not having symbols for tint/UV or heat, it has those features. It does have the -1 in the part number, but mine is M1859-1. So I'm not sure on acoustic. I can tell you it amazingly quiet on the road so I don't really care of it doesn't. For me and where I live, glad to have the tint for some protection to the dash and less heat inside.
good for you. i can heal all the trucks passing through my windsheld and it sucks!... looking to change that.. the 1 might be an indication of the acoutic layer , i have a 0 in its place...

Discussion starter · #63 ·
Thats the first 05 model year Range Rover, to probably the last 07 model year. my 06 is 6A2227xx.and it was built in Feb of 06 I beleive. 1st digit is the model year, the letter is the assembly plant Solihull, and the rest are just the sequence number of the build. I don't know it the RR's were built in sequential numbers (that would mean they made 250K of them a year) or if something else was being built alongside them and the sequence number is for all models. The first part of the VIN tells you the model type, engine size and type, transmission, Left or Right drives and some other options.
So i would imgine your windhseild would fit just fine on my vehicle , i cannot see why not... now if you have the contact inofrmation of the people who supplied you with yours i would like to give them a call and talk to them. Thank you.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
You could try an 06 windshield since mine is apparently has the acoustic layer, the only difference is that the rain sensor might be different(I don't know), and it comes fitted to the glass, you can't remove it and reattach it as far as I know, other than that they should be the same. They should be the same part number all the way thru the end of the 06 production. The original number was CMB500480 which runs from 2004 thru 2006, don't know why some appear to have an accoustic layer and some don't. The CMB500494 number you have above is an 07 and up windshield.
Dos your glass have the green tint ?

Dos your glass have the green tint ?
Green tint may not be perceptible with all other coatings IMHO. Maybe on aftermarkets if they do it differently.

From the inside, standard, non-tinted windows can have a “coke bottle glass” appearance with green reflections being especially noticeable near the edges.

With laminated glass this is much more difficult (for me) especially when there are no visible borders, at least not inside the dot matrix.

There does appear to be a line border within my dot matrix, almost perfectly midway through the gradient, but nothing at any angle is telling me this tint is green.

It’s just a line on my L322’s windshield, no film, nothing aftermarket was done to it.

Now, I’ll take a pic of my Evoque window to show you what DOES look green to me. That tint in NO way follows the dot matrix, AS-1 tint, or anything else [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, my windsheild is slightly green tinted, with the darker green AS1 band across the top, I got mine from Safelite, which is a glass replacement company here in Mass (thought they were nationwide?). (www.safelite.com) They get their glass from a central warehouse/provider in Providence RI. I don't know if they are specific to safelite, or if they provide every glass shop with windsheilds, side glass, rear glass etc. I just know thats where they said the truck came from that delivered it to the local safelite installation office. They have a brick and mortar garage for installations but they also come to your driveway or work and do it. I just went on their site an set up a fake appointment (didn't complete it) and got a price of 689.99 plus tax for a tinted, , heated rain sensor, soundproof windsheild installed if I was paying (the would jam my insurance company over 1100 for the same glass). They have three different options for the glass. Heres a little trick if you use them. Go thru their entire site setting up your appointment filling out your info (email, etc.) and then cancel out of the web page. They will send you an email offering you a discount on the price in about an hour. They gave me a 50 dollar discount on my sons 03 Celica when I had the glass replaced.

They do have locations in Florida so you should be able to get what you want. You may want to tell then you only want the LR branded pilkington glass when setting up an appointment (even if you are just going to pick it up and install it yourself).

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Green tint may not be perceptible with all other coatings IMHO. Maybe on aftermarkets if they do it differently.

From the inside, standard, non-tinted windows can have a “coke bottle glass” appearance with green reflections being especially noticeable near the edges.

With laminated glass this is much more difficult (for me) especially when there are no visible borders, at least not inside the dot matrix.

There does appear to be a line border within my dot matrix, almost perfectly midway through the gradient, but nothing at any angle is telling me this tint is green.

It’s just a line on my L322’s windshield, no film, nothing aftermarket was done to it.

Now, I’ll take a pic of my Evoque window to show you what DOES look green to me. That tint in NO way follows the dot matrix, AS-1 tint, or anything else [emoji23]

My original and current glass has very clear green tint.. if you stand infant of the vehicle all my ivory seats appear lightly green and the screen is visibly darker with the green hue.. gives my car a very classic look because it is also green

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Yes, my windsheild is slightly green tinted, with the darker green AS1 band across the top, I got mine from Safelite, which is a glass replacement company here in Mass (thought they were nationwide?). (www.safelite.com) They get their glass from a central warehouse/provider in Providence RI. I don't know if they are specific to safelite, or if they provide every glass shop with windsheilds, side glass, rear glass etc. I just know thats where they said the truck came from that delivered it to the local safelite installation office. They have a brick and mortar garage for installations but they also come to your driveway or work and do it. I just went on their site an set up a fake appointment (didn't complete it) and got a price of 689.99 plus tax for a tinted, , heated rain sensor, soundproof windsheild installed if I was paying (the would jam my insurance company over 1100 for the same glass). They have three different options for the glass. Heres a little trick if you use them. Go thru their entire site setting up your appointment filling out your info (email, etc.) and then cancel out of the web page. They will send you an email offering you a discount on the price in about an hour. They gave me a 50 dollar discount on my sons 03 Celica when I had the glass replaced.

They do have locations in Florida so you should be able to get what you want. You may want to tell then you only want the LR branded pilkington glass when setting up an appointment (even if you are just going to pick it up and install it yourself).
thank you same here on the tint , i will follow your instructions and see what transpires , just for kiscks i will also claim an 06 full size , see if it fits , i can take a loss if i cant return the glass but i do hope to get the Acoustic layer and telling them i have the 05 seems to automatically disqualify that for some awful reason... Thx Mark. Getting redy to drive up to seattle in March .

Discussion starter · #69 · (Edited)

Just went on to safelight and here is the quote i got, the options seemed a little vague , they mentioned sound proofing heat and rain sensor in one of them and i picked that but they dont tell you the brand of glass they are bringing or weather it will have the tint.. i did this having selected an 06 as my vehicle , then i did a second quote this time selecting an 05 and the options were the same.. so now i am left wondering if the 05 will come with sound proofing or not and if the 06 quote will come with all the bells and whilstels you currently have?

Don’t buy anything but factory. You think it’s the same and then you find out the heater wires aren’t painted matte black so they shine in the sun and basically blind you. Rain sensors are off because the glass is different.

DO NOT... f*** with your windshield glass.

100%

I don't know if the "new" factory glass is still good, but the aftermarket glass I got reflects WAY more light off the defroster wires than the original factory glass I had. I never really noticed it before but now I notice it every time I drive and it's really bad in the morning or evening. Sensor is fine though.

If I were to do it again I would pay the ~$300 extra.

Discussion starter · #71 ·
funny ddm
Funny! DDM2K used this warning verbatim afew posts ago... quit copying and pasting and write something original...

i dont believe one bit.. there are aftermarket product that are BETTER than factory because its been ten plus years and the factory quality may have diminished over time...

There are pros and cons on both sides , My current windshield IS factory yet i see distortions on the edges... go figure... not beating this dead hose a second time but thx.

I got a new windshield 4 months ago. The heating element is noticably more reflective than my original windshield and I'm not talking about distortions on the edges. If yours isn't, then good for you. I don't know why you're getting so defensive and bent out of shape about quoting someone I agreed with.

I got a new windshield 4 months ago. The heating element is noticably more reflective than my original windshield and I'm not talking about distortions on the edges. If yours isn't, then good for you. I don't know why you're getting so defensive and bent out of shape about quoting someone I agreed with.
Can you fill us in on who installed it?

Would you mind submitting a picture of the print on the glass so we know which brand of glass does that?

There are some people here I’m sure think I’m FOS but if you experience this for yourself it would be a huge help for all in this thread.

OP can you call your local Safelite branch and ask if they have the glass for you to see for yourself? (vs. paying first and risking the luck of the draw?)

I didn't have a choice (beyond the options I selected) when I made the appointment but they did tell me it was original glass, they seemed to beleive it was the only option they had, and it turned out to be LR labeled pilkington glass when I got there. You can call the local branch and make sure its what you ordered before getting the job done, or taking the glass with you, however you plan on doing it.

A local independent had their "glass guy" install it. He also did a sloppy job which I told them about.

Original and aftermarket pictures. Both have heating elements.
Sure enough. Same part # as OP but you had icons below yours for the heated + acoustic glass.

What seems to be different than mine is the absence of the thermometer with the +/- next to it. This is referred to as Climate Glass and was available in certain packages (not individually) of options:

My windshield is VERY purple from the outside, and gives everything a kind of golden appearance looking out.

Here's my story:
Previous owner replaced glass with ICBC/Speedy here in Canada, non-OEM but it was good quality. Rain sensor base pre-installed.

I noticed the headlight AND rain sensor were really flaky. PO didn't even realize it. Would work maybe 10% of the time. I have GAP and the sensor was faulting. Recalibrate - same nuttiness.

So took it back to Speedy, bill in hand. They recommended OEM right away. I said "whoa, why waste a good windshield, why not get a diagnosis first". They refused to do that BTDT only to rip and replace with the OEM.

New OEM windshield goes in, I pick it up. I go .. "Hey where is the heating element"
The tech grabs an LED flashlight and beams on the glass - "see they are here" That;s how bad the aftermarket was in comparison!

EVERYTHING WORKS 100%. NO DISTORTION, (nearly) INVISIBLE HEATING

Depends on how much you value your time f---- around.

Discussion starter · #80 · (Edited)
A local independent had their "glass guy" install it. He also did a sloppy job which I told them about.

Original and aftermarket pictures. Both have heating elements.
Not getting bent out of shape just the way i am if you knew me... , had you taken the time to read the posts you would have noticed we already discussed your point.. the issues here is not about heating elements but rather finding a glass that has the ACOUSTIC inner layer , rain sensor and heating for a 2005 full size l322.

61 - 80 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.