Range Rovers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 154 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Mine is an 06, and according to the little ear symbol in the rectangle with the swoop thru it symbol at the bottom of thw windscreen marking it is accoustical glass, it does have the fine wires embedded in the glass, they are barely noticeable and you have to be looking for them to start with. Fit and finish is the same as the original, the rain sensor seems odd at time, but then so did my original one. Sometimes it takes a big change in the rain rate to get the wipers to change speed, other times its fine, but it does change speed over just the fast and slow wipes in manual mode. I've reset the rain sensor a couple of times (both the original and this one) with SDD and it doesn't seem to work any different. I did have one tiny leak in the top of the windsheild on the passenger side, only occurs when the car is parked, never when driving, it showed up about a year after the glass was installed. I added some low viscosity sealant to the window channel behing the rubber trim and it seems to be fixed.
Just found one on bearmachs website , will talk to them today and confirm the acoustic layer , if it has it i am ordering immediately.Many thanks

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Ijust spoke to a sales rep , he is taking a photo of the botttom right tag and emailing it to me so that i can find out more about the screen , manufacturer, acoustic layer etc... will advise

Discussion starter · #44 ·
It does not come with the acoulstic layer... unfortunately i feel that price is too high for a sub standard product.:cautious::cautious:

Discussion starter · #45 ·
AND i just spoke to pilkington headquaters and they tell me there is not acoutic layer for the 2005 l322 even for the aftermarket brand. A real bummer :(:(:mad::mad:

AND i just spoke to pilkington headquaters and they tell me there is not acoutic layer for the 2005 l322 even for the aftermarket brand. A real bummer :(:(:mad::mad:
Are there actual FITMENT issues putting a 2012 windshield on a 2005, or is it just marked incompatible due to new features or part #.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try an 06 windshield since mine is apparently has the acoustic layer, the only difference is that the rain sensor might be different(I don't know), and it comes fitted to the glass, you can't remove it and reattach it as far as I know, other than that they should be the same. They should be the same part number all the way thru the end of the 06 production. The original number was CMB500480 which runs from 2004 thru 2006, don't know why some appear to have an accoustic layer and some don't. The CMB500494 number you have above is an 07 and up windshield.

It seems like the markings might be a little inconsistent. My '12 doesn't have any symbols but says 70% trans. and the purplish UV laminate layer is obvious when sitting in the sun. Glass is LR/Pilkington, never changed as far as I know.

Little more label info, the 43R-001588 is the Pilkington Part number (maybe univeral model number across different manufacturer's), The DOT 0682 is the manufacturing location per the post above, the M1260-1 is the key part, the first 1 is Laminated, the 2 is green tint, the 60 is the glass thickness (6mm), the final -1 means it has an accoustic PVB layer installed. Mine also has the ear symbol that comes and goes over time apparently, and there is a PVD marking next to 43R-1588 which I guess is another way or indicating the accoustic layer. The heated symbol the rounded rectangle with the heater wires accross it also got removed at some point in time, so an original L322 glass may have it but the replacement may not.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
You could try an 06 windshield since mine is apparently has the acoustic layer, the only difference is that the rain sensor might be different(I don't know), and it comes fitted to the glass, you can't remove it and reattach it as far as I know, other than that they should be the same. They should be the same part number all the way thru the end of the 06 production. The original number was CMB500480 which runs from 2004 thru 2006, don't know why some appear to have an accoustic layer and some don't. The CMB500494 number you have above is an 07 and up windshield.
It may be possible , the CMB number i have states it for vehicle with vin # fro 5A AND up.... i just might go with an 06...

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Little more label info, the 43R-001588 is the Pilkington Part number (maybe univeral model number across different manufacturer's), The DOT 0682 is the manufacturing location per the post above, the M1260-1 is the key part, the first 1 is Laminated, the 2 is green tint, the 60 is the glass thickness (6mm), the final -1 means it has an accoustic PVB layer installed. Mine also has the ear symbol that comes and goes over time apparently, and there is a PVD marking next to 43R-1588 which I guess is another way or indicating the accoustic layer. The heated symbol the rounded rectangle with the heater wires accross it also got removed at some point in time, so an original L322 glass may have it but the replacement may not.
i HAVE THE EXACT GLASS NUMBER I.E 43R-001588 , but the 1260 without the 1at the end , so this tells me that there is a very good possibility the 06 glass may work if i can get one with the acoustic layer... those jake brakes are cool to lidsten to for about 5 minutes.. i want the acoustic layer...

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Are there actual FITMENT issues putting a 2012 windshield on a 2005, or is it just marked incompatible due to new features or part #.

no idea but will research the possibilities... i will advise...

Discussion starter · #53 ·
It seems like the markings might be a little inconsistent. My '12 doesn't have any symbols but says 70% trans. and the purplish UV laminate layer is obvious when sitting in the sun. Glass is LR/Pilkington, never changed as far as I know.
you dont have the acoustic layer if the symbols are not embedded....

Discussion starter · #54 · (Edited)

The fitment is by VIN# grouping... from a certain number to a certain number.. will research and see if the glass from an 06 will work on an 05

Discussion starter · #55 · (Edited)
It may be possible , the CMB number i have states it's for vehicle with vin # from 5A AND up to 7A.... i just might go with an 06... the question would be ...if an 06 falls within the VIN grouping below and my vehicle also does ..would it fit??
Does your vehicles VIN fall under these guidelines?

Thats the first 05 model year Range Rover, to probably the last 07 model year. my 06 is 6A2227xx.and it was built in Feb of 06 I beleive. 1st digit is the model year, the letter is the assembly plant Solihull, and the rest are just the sequence number of the build. I don't know it the RR's were built in sequential numbers (that would mean they made 250K of them a year) or if something else was being built alongside them and the sequence number is for all models. The first part of the VIN tells you the model type, engine size and type, transmission, Left or Right drives and some other options.

you dont have the acoustic layer if the symbols are not embedded....
I'm not positive that's true. I have zero symbols on my glass. Yet I can see the heating element, it says its tinted on the windshield, the window sticker indicates "climate glass" (assumes that's the tint) and it has a rain sensor. So despite not having symbols for tint/UV or heat, it has those features. It does have the -1 in the part number, but mine is M1859-1. So I'm not sure on acoustic. I can tell you it amazingly quiet on the road so I don't really care of it doesn't. For me and where I live, glad to have the tint for some protection to the dash and less heat inside.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Thats the first 05 model year Range Rover, to probably the last 07 model year. my 06 is 6A2227xx.and it was built in Feb of 06 I beleive. 1st digit is the model year, the letter is the assembly plant Solihull, and the rest are just the sequence number of the build. I don't know it the RR's were built in sequential numbers (that would mean they made 250K of them a year) or if something else was being built alongside them and the sequence number is for all models. The first part of the VIN tells you the model type, engine size and type, transmission, Left or Right drives and some other options.
So in this case i believe the windsheilds are interchangable for vehicles within the VIN bracket... right?.. i dont see how that grouping would be interpolted differently... do you?

41 - 60 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.