RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
FWIW not sure why on a brand new Evoque the windshield says “Range Rover” but the side glass said “Land Rover”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FWIW not sure why on a brand new Evoque the windshield says “Range Rover” but the side glass said “Land Rover”.

Look for the three numbers after the DOT letters , then take those numbers with the letters and google them , a list will come up showing the manufacturers of that particular windsheild. my guess is it will be china or Japan

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is what i am talking about... and this is being said by a proffesional that installs glass

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Two years ago Safelite was still installing OEM Pilkington glass, this is my windsheild installed 2 years ago for about 1K (Insurance paid so I don't remember the exact amount). It had the rain sensor installed on it when it was delivered, and you can only see the heater wires when the sun hits them just right, its also accoustically insulated according to the bottom symbol on the label. In all ways it is exactly the same as the original glass that came out minus 150K miles worth of stone chips and a big horizontal crack on the passenger side. The extra lines are just shadows off the label on the surface of my hat on the dash, I had to use the flash to take the picture tonight.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Two years ago Safelite was still installing OEM Pilkington glass, this is my windsheild installed 2 years ago for about 1K (Insurance paid so I don't remember the exact amount). It had the rain sensor installed on it when it was delivered, and you can only see the heater wires when the sun hits them just right, its also accoustically insulated according to the bottom symbol on the label. In all ways it is exactly the same as the original glass that came out minus 150K miles worth of stone chips and a big horizontal crack on the passenger side. The extra lines are just shadows off the label on the surface of my hat on the dash, I had to use the flash to take the picture tonight.

View attachment 283311
Hoping there’s a vendor out there for OP who has some old stock. I’ll snap a pic of my factory glass tomorrow. That looks like the same.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Heres a link to the DOT manufacturer codes for glass. My Glass says DOT 682 which is the Pilkington Automotive Limited Plant in St. Helens UK, so I would say its OEM glass.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Heres a link to the DOT manufacturer codes for glass. My Glass says DOT 682 which is the Pilkington Automotive Limited Plant in St. Helens UK, so I would say its OEM glass.

A mere 2 hr from Solihull. Entirely plausible.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

View attachment 283311
WOW..thx alot man.. this is exactly what i am looking for , my current pilkington glass is not acoustically insulated and i am trying to find a place that can supply me with a glass that is acoustically insulated just like yours.... Are you happy with the safelight installation? so far so good? thank you very much for your input

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Thx mark it is indeed , is your glass acoustically insulated too? mine was not and that frustrates me.. seems like landrover offered acoustics on some but not others why?? dunno...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

View attachment 283311
And your vehicle is a l322? what year? i cant seem to find an acoustic glass for a 2005 ranger rover....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The info on my XYG screen.. Note the zig-zag heating element to the left of the image.

View attachment 283312
Ijust looked up the dot825 number on your glass and it was made in china comapred to your old glass do you see /feel any difference? Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

View attachment 283311
My glass did not come with the acoustic layer so the noise is clear from the engine and the jake brakes on the highway.. i am determined to change that... did you order the glass thruogh safe light?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your hs the acoustic shield AND uv layer protection , thats would t]be the two bottom symbols.. i have neither....
There’s pretty much no replacing this if it gets damaged, unless you find a NOS part in a local glass shop or a junkyard donor.

Googling the part number yields partial matches but nothing exact.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
There’s pretty much no replacing this if it gets damaged, unless you find a NOS part in a local glass shop or a junkyard donor.

Googling the part number yields partial matches but nothing exact.

Yup and there in lies my problem.. the aftermarket ones do have acoustic but my research seems to suggest it’s hit or miss with the quality , some people are happy with the chinese brands and some are not... pilkington does not make the glass like they used to.. this is why i cant find the one you have anywhere...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Mine is an 06, and according to the little ear symbol in the rectangle with the swoop thru it symbol at the bottom of thw windscreen marking it is accoustical glass, it does have the fine wires embedded in the glass, they are barely noticeable and you have to be looking for them to start with. Fit and finish is the same as the original, the rain sensor seems odd at time, but then so did my original one. Sometimes it takes a big change in the rain rate to get the wipers to change speed, other times its fine, but it does change speed over just the fast and slow wipes in manual mode. I've reset the rain sensor a couple of times (both the original and this one) with SDD and it doesn't seem to work any different. I did have one tiny leak in the top of the windsheild on the passenger side, only occurs when the car is parked, never when driving, it showed up about a year after the glass was installed. I added some low viscosity sealant to the window channel behing the rubber trim and it seems to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My glass did not come with the acoustic layer so the noise is clear from the engine and the jake brakes on the highway.. i am determined to change that... did you order the glass thruogh safe light?
I had it installed by them, insurance paid. According to the local office at the time, factory glass was all they were able to get. Now this might be a regional thing (Massachusertts), or maybe thats all Safelite uses (at least for land rovers). They have to be working on pretty thin margins (especially if you are paying cash) and reworking windsheilds or having to replace a 1K windsheild would certainly make it a losing proposition.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts