Range Rovers Forum banner

Windshield options.

30K views 153 replies 22 participants last post by  lenlo 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been researching windshields as i feel mine has done a great job but is due for replacement.(large crack on passenger side do to highway debris)
My windshild is the original pilkington glass with the land rover logo on it. It is heated , has the rain sensors and the nice green tint.
Dealer wants $1100 just to buy it then another $300 to install.(Thugs)

So i started looking round and where is what i have found.

Pilkington used to make durable and fantastic glass ten years ago but no longer do so especially after getting aquired by AFG, A Japanese company.
they now no longer make the glass for landrover and the quality has changed. todays glass is thinner and thus lighter but still durable

Then i stumbled upon an company i had never heard of called FYG . from what i gather they make their own glass and seem to be generating a rather good reputation in the subaru and bmw world of cars , I got in touch with them and theiy do make a glass for the l322 at less than half the cost of the dealer($600) and that number includes installation and a lifetime warranty.

Their glass comes with everything the dealers has except the land rover logo.
So i asked them about the quality of the glass and the gentlamn was happy to explain to me why their glass was good. He xplained that ten years ago the glass had to be thicker to compensate for durability ut in todays times there are better quality product hat make glass therefore thickness is no longer neccesary to justify durability.i agreed with that theory in part because i see the parallels of that idiology on ither technical fieds i work in.

He also included a very important point that sold me on the FYG aftermarket option.
While the OEM seem to be the best option due to its provenance and the land rover logo the FYG glass comes with a layer of acoustic sound barrier in between the glass thus reducing highway/engine nose by approximately 3 decibels.

The OEM brand does NOT ome with an acoustic sound shield, costs twice as much and is built with a different standard to hat they had ten years ago. in other words OEM is not a better glass from a hardware perspective , all they have is the pilkington name and a land rover logo from back in the day , everything else has changed.

So i decided to go with FYG glass , included for $600 is
Heat layer
Rain sensors
Green U.V protective tint
2 year warranty on glass from time of install plus lifetime warranty on defects/distortion etc.
Very reasonable price with labor cost included.
The fitment was determined using my VIN# so that confirms correct fitting to vehicle.
I hope this helps others in their research.. carfeul with those dealerships out there...

NB: your windsheild does not have the acoustic layer if you do not see on it-

Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
My OEM windsheild does not have ANY of the above signs so i know it is not sound proof.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been researching windshields as i feel mine has done a great job but is due for replacement.(large crack on passenger side do to highway debris)
My windshild is the original pilkington glass with the land rover logo on it. It is heated , has the rain sensors and the nice green tint.
Dealer wants $1100 just to buy it then another $300 to install.(Thugs)

So i started looking round and where is what i have found.

Pilkington used to make durable and fantastic glass ten years ago but no longer do so especially after getting aquired by AFG, A Japanese company.
they now no longer make the glass for landrover and the quality has changed. todays glass is thinner and thus lighter but still durable

Then i stumbled upon an company i had never heard of called FYG . from what i gather they make their own glass and seem to be generating a rather good reputation in the subaru and bmw world of cars , I got in touch with them and theiy do make a glass for the l322 at less than half the cost of the dealer($600) and that number includes installation and a lifetime warranty.

Their glass comes with everything the dealers has except the land rover logo.
So i asked them about the quality of the glass and the gentlamn was happy to explain to me why their glass was good. He xplained that ten years ago the glass had to be thicker to compensate for durability ut in todays times there are better quality product hat make glass therefore thickness is no longer neccesary to justify durability.i agreed with that theory in part because i see the parallels of that idiology on ither technical fieds i work in.

He also included a very important point that sold me on the FYG aftermarket option.
While the OEM seem to be the best option due to its provenance and the land rover logo the FYG glass comes with a layer of acoustic sound barrier in between the glass thus reducing highway/engine nose by approximately 3 decibels.

The OEM brand does NOT ome with an acoustic sound shield, costs twice as much and is built with a different standard to hat they had ten years ago. in other words OEM is not a better glass from a hardware perspective , all they have is the pilkington name and a land rover logo from back in the day , everything else has changed.

So i decided to go with FYG glass , included for $600 is
Heat layer
Rain sensors
Green U.V protective tint
2 year warranty on glass from time of install plus lifetime warranty on defects/distortion etc.
Very reasonable price with labor cost included.
The fitment was determined using my VIN# so that confirms correct fitting to vehicle.
I hope this helps others in their research.. carfeul with those dealerships out there...

NB: your windsheild does not have the acoustic layer if you do not see on it-
View attachment 283305
Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
My OEM windsheild does not have ANY of the above signs so i know it is not sound proof.
Don’t buy anything but factory. You think it’s the same and then you find out the heater wires aren’t painted matte black so they shine in the sun and basically blind you. Rain sensors are off because the glass is different.

DO NOT... f*** with your windshield glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#70 ·
Don’t buy anything but factory. You think it’s the same and then you find out the heater wires aren’t painted matte black so they shine in the sun and basically blind you. Rain sensors are off because the glass is different.

DO NOT... f*** with your windshield glass.

100%

I don't know if the "new" factory glass is still good, but the aftermarket glass I got reflects WAY more light off the defroster wires than the original factory glass I had. I never really noticed it before but now I notice it every time I drive and it's really bad in the morning or evening. Sensor is fine though.

If I were to do it again I would pay the ~$300 extra.

#3 · (Edited)
The factory glass is no longer a good product. It was ten years ago but not anymore... so please tell me why you feel i should stick with factory when their production qualities are no longer what they used to be?

The rain sensors are programmable,
the heat shield wires are a a clear mat layer that is plastered on the inner glass and can be programmed to the vehicle , that is why they needed my VIN#
I was assured that if there was any issue they would replace the glass if there was any defect so why would i be concerned?

Lifetime warranty is offered , acoustic sheild is appealing , cost is appealing, before they install i get to inspect and make sure it is sound on decfects or distortions , and if there is any defect it wont be installed.

I will check it for the shine you speak of but i havent heard any complaints from bmw folk or subaru about the wire shines etc.. they all use FYG as far i can tell FYG is better than factory in this day and age....

IMO the only thing OEM is offering is the land rover logo and pilkington name... FYG seems to be a better product from a factual point of view.

Thx though...Please provide factual arguments as to why Oem is better than FYG taking the reaserch i outlined into account.

Show me why FYG is not good compared to OEM.

#10 ·
The factory glass is no longer a good product. It was ten years ago but not anymore... so please tell me why you feel i should stick with factory when their production qualities are no longer what they used to be?

The rain sensors are programmable,
the heat shield wires are a a clear mat layer that is plastered on the inner glass and can be programmed to the vehicle , that is why they needed my VIN#
I was assured that if there was any issue they would replace the glass if there was any defect so why would i be concerned?

Lifetime warranty is offered , acoustic sheild is appealing , cost is appealing, before they install i get to inspect and make sure it is sound on decfects or distortions , and if there is any defect it wont be installed.

I will check it for the shine you speak of but i havent heard any complaints from bmw folk or subaru about the wire shines etc.. they all use FYG as far i can tell FYG is better than factory in this day and age....

IMO the only thing OEM is offering is the land rover logo and pilkington name... FYG seems to be a better product from a factual point of view.

Thx though...Please provide factual arguments as to why Oem is better than FYG taking the reaserch i outlined into account.

Show me why FYG is not good compared to OEM.
It’s not my windshield, I don’t have to show you anything. You either see my point, or you’ll deny any facts I bring in front of you, and never acknowledge any point was made.

You’re approaching this with your mind already made up. And if you’re about to tell me you’re not, you’re setting the bar impossibly high for anything to change what you believe.

If you’re that bent out of shape over LR’s new products, then find a piece of donor glass that was manufactured in the same year your vehicle was. That should put to rest any concerns you have.

Or you can just buy your shanghai glass and hope you can “just reprogram” your rain sensor. We’re literally talking about ONE value. If this value and allowable range aren’t sufficient to adjust to your new glass (or the sensor is basically refusing to acknowledge any rain through it) you’re screwed. And that’s not something covered in your lifetime guarantee, unless a new rain sensor comes pre-mounted to your windshield.

You have to understand how these companies operate.

#4 · (Edited)
My windscreen was replaced last year under insurance (I have windscreen cover). The insurance co. uses a major windscreen glass company (in Australia). After replacement, the rain sensor didn't work. I later found that the car electronics needed to be recalibrated for the screen. The glass company hadn't done that. Fortunately, I was able to do that with my Rovacom Faultmate (I haven't checked to see if my Testbook T4 will do it).

Whilst I was playing around with all that, I found the black mask on the screen was, apparently, for a later model L322. There is a hole in the mask to allow light into the rain sensor. That hole in the mask didn't line up with the BMW sensor used in the early L322.

See the red dot in the top left of the sensor below.

From RAVE:
"A light sensor is incorporated into the sensor and is used to increase the sensitivity of the sensor when light levels are
low. This feature counteracts the effects of rain on the windscreen affecting the driver's vision during night time driving."

#5 · (Edited)
My windscreen was replaced last year under insurance (I have windscreen cover). The insurance co. uses a major windscreen glass company (in Australia). After replacement, the rain sensor didn't work. I later found that the car electronics needed to be recalibrated for the screen. The glass company hadn't done that. Fortunately, I was able to do that with my Rovacom Faultmate (I haven't checked to see if my Testbook T4 will do it).

Whilst I was playing around with all that, I found the black mask on the screen was, apparently, for a later model L322. There is a hole in the mask to allow light into the rain sensor. That hole in the mask didn't line up with the BMW sensor used in the early L322.

See the red dot in the top left of the sensor below.

From RAVE:
"A light sensor is incorporated into the sensor and is used to increase the sensitivity of the sensor when light levels are
low. This feature counteracts the effects of rain on the windscreen affecting the driver's vision during night time driving."

View attachment 283306
And so far how are you liking it? are you having any issues or is everything better?.. i dont see why i should stick with OEM just for the sake of a logo , i like the acoustic layer option, and the FYG comes with all the features the OEM has except for the land rover logo which costs $600. I dont care for that one bit , they can keep their logo.
I like the notion of absolute silence when driving and i also like the price , I have the program to reset my rain sensor so i should be ok with that. thank you for the extra information.will keep an eye out for the rain sensor light access.

#6 ·
Yes, I'm happy with it. Under some lighting conditions I can just make out the heating wires but they aren't distracting. From Google searches, I suspect the screen is of Chinese manufacture. It is labelled XYG but I cant see any acoustic glass symbol but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.. Price ex-factory in China varies from US$18-$35 per screen in lots of 50.

#8 ·
If your windshield was acoustic you would see one of the signs in the images below. Pilkington glass i now japanese owned and the standards of manufacture have diminished from what i gather... they are not even making the l322 glass anymore.. this is why i am looking at aftermarket with the new acoustic layer... Thank you.

#9 ·
Sure.. folk get so mesmerized by the dealers option not realizing whats going on in the background.. ten years ago pilkington was the go to company for windshields but today all has changed , the winsheilds being manufactured today come with the aoustic layer which to me is a big selling point , the electronics for the windhsield are all programmable ans i think the way forward is aftermarket since OEMis no longer making the original glass to the same standard they used to...

#16 ·
So i just found out that there is no acoustic option (oem or aftermarket) for the l322 windshields.. aparently an overambitious sales person was oversellying without looking at the printed details.
I also just found out that pilkington and PPG are outsourcing their manufacturing thee days.
So i will contnue to research ans see where it leads me...

#22 ·
FWIW not sure why on a brand new Evoque the windshield says “Range Rover” but the side glass said “Land Rover”.

Look for the three numbers after the DOT letters , then take those numbers with the letters and google them , a list will come up showing the manufacturers of that particular windsheild. my guess is it will be china or Japan

#24 ·
Two years ago Safelite was still installing OEM Pilkington glass, this is my windsheild installed 2 years ago for about 1K (Insurance paid so I don't remember the exact amount). It had the rain sensor installed on it when it was delivered, and you can only see the heater wires when the sun hits them just right, its also accoustically insulated according to the bottom symbol on the label. In all ways it is exactly the same as the original glass that came out minus 150K miles worth of stone chips and a big horizontal crack on the passenger side. The extra lines are just shadows off the label on the surface of my hat on the dash, I had to use the flash to take the picture tonight.

#25 ·
Two years ago Safelite was still installing OEM Pilkington glass, this is my windsheild installed 2 years ago for about 1K (Insurance paid so I don't remember the exact amount). It had the rain sensor installed on it when it was delivered, and you can only see the heater wires when the sun hits them just right, its also accoustically insulated according to the bottom symbol on the label. In all ways it is exactly the same as the original glass that came out minus 150K miles worth of stone chips and a big horizontal crack on the passenger side. The extra lines are just shadows off the label on the surface of my hat on the dash, I had to use the flash to take the picture tonight.

View attachment 283311
Hoping there’s a vendor out there for OP who has some old stock. I’ll snap a pic of my factory glass tomorrow. That looks like the same.

#26 ·
Heres a link to the DOT manufacturer codes for glass. My Glass says DOT 682 which is the Pilkington Automotive Limited Plant in St. Helens UK, so I would say its OEM glass.

#27 ·
Heres a link to the DOT manufacturer codes for glass. My Glass says DOT 682 which is the Pilkington Automotive Limited Plant in St. Helens UK, so I would say its OEM glass.

A mere 2 hr from Solihull. Entirely plausible.

#28 ·
The info on my XYG screen.. Note the zig-zag heating element to the left of the image.

#39 ·
Mine is an 06, and according to the little ear symbol in the rectangle with the swoop thru it symbol at the bottom of thw windscreen marking it is accoustical glass, it does have the fine wires embedded in the glass, they are barely noticeable and you have to be looking for them to start with. Fit and finish is the same as the original, the rain sensor seems odd at time, but then so did my original one. Sometimes it takes a big change in the rain rate to get the wipers to change speed, other times its fine, but it does change speed over just the fast and slow wipes in manual mode. I've reset the rain sensor a couple of times (both the original and this one) with SDD and it doesn't seem to work any different. I did have one tiny leak in the top of the windsheild on the passenger side, only occurs when the car is parked, never when driving, it showed up about a year after the glass was installed. I added some low viscosity sealant to the window channel behing the rubber trim and it seems to be fixed.

#43 ·
Ijust spoke to a sales rep , he is taking a photo of the botttom right tag and emailing it to me so that i can find out more about the screen , manufacturer, acoustic layer etc... will advise

#47 · (Edited)
You could try an 06 windshield since mine is apparently has the acoustic layer, the only difference is that the rain sensor might be different(I don't know), and it comes fitted to the glass, you can't remove it and reattach it as far as I know, other than that they should be the same. They should be the same part number all the way thru the end of the 06 production. The original number was CMB500480 which runs from 2004 thru 2006, don't know why some appear to have an accoustic layer and some don't. The CMB500494 number you have above is an 07 and up windshield.

#48 ·
It seems like the markings might be a little inconsistent. My '12 doesn't have any symbols but says 70% trans. and the purplish UV laminate layer is obvious when sitting in the sun. Glass is LR/Pilkington, never changed as far as I know.

#49 ·
Little more label info, the 43R-001588 is the Pilkington Part number (maybe univeral model number across different manufacturer's), The DOT 0682 is the manufacturing location per the post above, the M1260-1 is the key part, the first 1 is Laminated, the 2 is green tint, the 60 is the glass thickness (6mm), the final -1 means it has an accoustic PVB layer installed. Mine also has the ear symbol that comes and goes over time apparently, and there is a PVD marking next to 43R-1588 which I guess is another way or indicating the accoustic layer. The heated symbol the rounded rectangle with the heater wires accross it also got removed at some point in time, so an original L322 glass may have it but the replacement may not.

#51 ·
i HAVE THE EXACT GLASS NUMBER I.E 43R-001588 , but the 1260 without the 1at the end , so this tells me that there is a very good possibility the 06 glass may work if i can get one with the acoustic layer... those jake brakes are cool to lidsten to for about 5 minutes.. i want the acoustic layer...

#56 ·
Thats the first 05 model year Range Rover, to probably the last 07 model year. my 06 is 6A2227xx.and it was built in Feb of 06 I beleive. 1st digit is the model year, the letter is the assembly plant Solihull, and the rest are just the sequence number of the build. I don't know it the RR's were built in sequential numbers (that would mean they made 250K of them a year) or if something else was being built alongside them and the sequence number is for all models. The first part of the VIN tells you the model type, engine size and type, transmission, Left or Right drives and some other options.

#66 · (Edited)
Yes, my windsheild is slightly green tinted, with the darker green AS1 band across the top, I got mine from Safelite, which is a glass replacement company here in Mass (thought they were nationwide?). (www.safelite.com) They get their glass from a central warehouse/provider in Providence RI. I don't know if they are specific to safelite, or if they provide every glass shop with windsheilds, side glass, rear glass etc. I just know thats where they said the truck came from that delivered it to the local safelite installation office. They have a brick and mortar garage for installations but they also come to your driveway or work and do it. I just went on their site an set up a fake appointment (didn't complete it) and got a price of 689.99 plus tax for a tinted, , heated rain sensor, soundproof windsheild installed if I was paying (the would jam my insurance company over 1100 for the same glass). They have three different options for the glass. Heres a little trick if you use them. Go thru their entire site setting up your appointment filling out your info (email, etc.) and then cancel out of the web page. They will send you an email offering you a discount on the price in about an hour. They gave me a 50 dollar discount on my sons 03 Celica when I had the glass replaced.

They do have locations in Florida so you should be able to get what you want. You may want to tell then you only want the LR branded pilkington glass when setting up an appointment (even if you are just going to pick it up and install it yourself).

#68 ·
thank you same here on the tint , i will follow your instructions and see what transpires , just for kiscks i will also claim an 06 full size , see if it fits , i can take a loss if i cant return the glass but i do hope to get the Acoustic layer and telling them i have the 05 seems to automatically disqualify that for some awful reason... Thx Mark. Getting redy to drive up to seattle in March .

#72 ·
I got a new windshield 4 months ago. The heating element is noticably more reflective than my original windshield and I'm not talking about distortions on the edges. If yours isn't, then good for you. I don't know why you're getting so defensive and bent out of shape about quoting someone I agreed with.

#73 ·
Can you fill us in on who installed it?

Would you mind submitting a picture of the print on the glass so we know which brand of glass does that?

There are some people here I’m sure think I’m FOS but if you experience this for yourself it would be a huge help for all in this thread.

#83 · (Edited)
Just spoke to safelight and sure enough the quote is for an undisclosed aftermarket brand... i then asked the sales rep about the tint , the acoustic inner layer and she told me if i wanted an original i had to go to Land rover as they do not install originals... WOW!....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.