RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 21 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching windshields as i feel mine has done a great job but is due for replacement.(large crack on passenger side do to highway debris)
My windshild is the original pilkington glass with the land rover logo on it. It is heated , has the rain sensors and the nice green tint.
Dealer wants $1100 just to buy it then another $300 to install.(Thugs)

So i started looking round and where is what i have found.

Pilkington used to make durable and fantastic glass ten years ago but no longer do so especially after getting aquired by AFG, A Japanese company.
they now no longer make the glass for landrover and the quality has changed. todays glass is thinner and thus lighter but still durable

Then i stumbled upon an company i had never heard of called FYG . from what i gather they make their own glass and seem to be generating a rather good reputation in the subaru and bmw world of cars , I got in touch with them and theiy do make a glass for the l322 at less than half the cost of the dealer($600) and that number includes installation and a lifetime warranty.

Their glass comes with everything the dealers has except the land rover logo.
So i asked them about the quality of the glass and the gentlamn was happy to explain to me why their glass was good. He xplained that ten years ago the glass had to be thicker to compensate for durability ut in todays times there are better quality product hat make glass therefore thickness is no longer neccesary to justify durability.i agreed with that theory in part because i see the parallels of that idiology on ither technical fieds i work in.

He also included a very important point that sold me on the FYG aftermarket option.
While the OEM seem to be the best option due to its provenance and the land rover logo the FYG glass comes with a layer of acoustic sound barrier in between the glass thus reducing highway/engine nose by approximately 3 decibels.

The OEM brand does NOT ome with an acoustic sound shield, costs twice as much and is built with a different standard to hat they had ten years ago. in other words OEM is not a better glass from a hardware perspective , all they have is the pilkington name and a land rover logo from back in the day , everything else has changed.

So i decided to go with FYG glass , included for $600 is
Heat layer
Rain sensors
Green U.V protective tint
2 year warranty on glass from time of install plus lifetime warranty on defects/distortion etc.
Very reasonable price with labor cost included.
The fitment was determined using my VIN# so that confirms correct fitting to vehicle.
I hope this helps others in their research.. carfeul with those dealerships out there...

NB: your windsheild does not have the acoustic layer if you do not see on it-

Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
My OEM windsheild does not have ANY of the above signs so i know it is not sound proof.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have been researching windshields as i feel mine has done a great job but is due for replacement.(large crack on passenger side do to highway debris)
My windshild is the original pilkington glass with the land rover logo on it. It is heated , has the rain sensors and the nice green tint.

Pilkington used to make durable and fantastic glass ten years ago but no longer do so especially after getting aquired by AFG, A Japanese company.
they now no longer make the glass for landrover and the quality has changed. todays glass is thinner and thus lighter but still durable

Then i stumbled upon an company i had never heard of called FYG . from what i gather they make their own glass and seem to be generating a rather good reputation in the subaru and bmw world of cars , I got in touch with them and theiy do make a glass for the l322 at less than half the cost of the dealer($600) and that number includes installation and a lifetime warranty.

So i asked them about the quality of the glass and the gentlamn was happy to explain to me why their glass was good. He xplained that ten years ago the glass had to be thicker to compensate for durability ut in todays times there are better quality product hat make glass therefore thickness is no longer neccesary to justify durability.i agreed with that theory in part because i see the parallels of that idiology on ither technical fieds i work in.

He also included a very important point that sold me on the FYG aftermarket option.
While the OEM seem to be the best option due to its provenance and the land rover logo the FYG glass comes with a layer of acoustic sound barrier in between the glass thus reducing highway/engine nose by approximately 3 decibels.

The OEM brand does NOT ome with an acoustic sound shield, costs twice as much and is built with a different standard to hat they had ten years ago. in other words OEM is not a better glass from a hardware perspective , all they have is the pilkington name and a land rover logo from back in the day , everything else has changed.

Heat layer
Rain sensors
2 year warranty on glass from time of install plus lifetime warranty on defects/distortion etc.
The fitment was determined using my VIN# so that confirms correct fitting to vehicle.
I hope this helps others in their research.. carfeul with those dealerships out there...

View attachment 283305
Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
My OEM windsheild does not have ANY of the above signs so i know it is not sound proof.
Don’t buy anything but factory. You think it’s the same and then you find out the heater wires aren’t painted matte black so they shine in the sun and basically blind you. Rain sensors are off because the glass is different.

DO NOT... f*** with your windshield glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The factory glass is no longer a good product. It was ten years ago but not anymore... so please tell me why you feel i should stick with factory when their production qualities are no longer what they used to be?

The rain sensors are programmable,
the heat shield wires are a a clear mat layer that is plastered on the inner glass and can be programmed to the vehicle , that is why they needed my VIN#
I was assured that if there was any issue they would replace the glass if there was any defect so why would i be concerned?

Lifetime warranty is offered , acoustic sheild is appealing , cost is appealing, before they install i get to inspect and make sure it is sound on decfects or distortions , and if there is any defect it wont be installed.

I will check it for the shine you speak of but i havent heard any complaints from bmw folk or subaru about the wire shines etc.. they all use FYG as far i can tell FYG is better than factory in this day and age....

IMO the only thing OEM is offering is the land rover logo and pilkington name... FYG seems to be a better product from a factual point of view.

Thx though...Please provide factual arguments as to why Oem is better than FYG taking the reaserch i outlined into account.

Show me why FYG is not good compared to OEM.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,359 Posts
My windscreen was replaced last year under insurance (I have windscreen cover). The insurance co. uses a major windscreen glass company (in Australia). After replacement, the rain sensor didn't work. I later found that the car electronics needed to be recalibrated for the screen. The glass company hadn't done that. Fortunately, I was able to do that with my Rovacom Faultmate (I haven't checked to see if my Testbook T4 will do it).

Whilst I was playing around with all that, I found the black mask on the screen was, apparently, for a later model L322. There is a hole in the mask to allow light into the rain sensor. That hole in the mask didn't line up with the BMW sensor used in the early L322.

See the red dot in the top left of the sensor below.

From RAVE:
"A light sensor is incorporated into the sensor and is used to increase the sensitivity of the sensor when light levels are
low. This feature counteracts the effects of rain on the windscreen affecting the driver's vision during night time driving."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My windscreen was replaced last year under insurance (I have windscreen cover). The insurance co. uses a major windscreen glass company (in Australia). After replacement, the rain sensor didn't work. I later found that the car electronics needed to be recalibrated for the screen. The glass company hadn't done that. Fortunately, I was able to do that with my Rovacom Faultmate (I haven't checked to see if my Testbook T4 will do it).

Whilst I was playing around with all that, I found the black mask on the screen was, apparently, for a later model L322. There is a hole in the mask to allow light into the rain sensor. That hole in the mask didn't line up with the BMW sensor used in the early L322.

See the red dot in the top left of the sensor below.

From RAVE:
"A light sensor is incorporated into the sensor and is used to increase the sensitivity of the sensor when light levels are
low. This feature counteracts the effects of rain on the windscreen affecting the driver's vision during night time driving."

View attachment 283306
And so far how are you liking it? are you having any issues or is everything better?.. i dont see why i should stick with OEM just for the sake of a logo , i like the acoustic layer option, and the FYG comes with all the features the OEM has except for the land rover logo which costs $600. I dont care for that one bit , they can keep their logo.
I like the notion of absolute silence when driving and i also like the price , I have the program to reset my rain sensor so i should be ok with that. thank you for the extra information.will keep an eye out for the rain sensor light access.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,359 Posts
Yes, I'm happy with it. Under some lighting conditions I can just make out the heating wires but they aren't distracting. From Google searches, I suspect the screen is of Chinese manufacture. It is labelled XYG but I cant see any acoustic glass symbol but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.. Price ex-factory in China varies from US$18-$35 per screen in lots of 50.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Heat layer
Rain sensors

View attachment 283305
Sound master
the ear sign
Acoustic label
Soundscreen label
Great post. Thank you for writing And spending time for this valuable information.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I'm happy with it. Under some lighting conditions I can just make out the heating wires but they aren't distracting. From Google searches, I suspect the screen is of Chinese manufacture. It is labelled XYG but I cant see any acoustic glass symbol but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.. Price ex-factory in China varies from US$18-$35 per screen in lots of 50.
If your windshield was acoustic you would see one of the signs in the images below. Pilkington glass i now japanese owned and the standards of manufacture have diminished from what i gather... they are not even making the l322 glass anymore.. this is why i am looking at aftermarket with the new acoustic layer... Thank you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great post. Thank you for writing And spending time for this valuable information.
Sure.. folk get so mesmerized by the dealers option not realizing whats going on in the background.. ten years ago pilkington was the go to company for windshields but today all has changed , the winsheilds being manufactured today come with the aoustic layer which to me is a big selling point , the electronics for the windhsield are all programmable ans i think the way forward is aftermarket since OEMis no longer making the original glass to the same standard they used to...

·
Registered
440 Posts
The factory glass is no longer a good product. It was ten years ago but not anymore... so please tell me why you feel i should stick with factory when their production qualities are no longer what they used to be?

The rain sensors are programmable,
the heat shield wires are a a clear mat layer that is plastered on the inner glass and can be programmed to the vehicle , that is why they needed my VIN#
I was assured that if there was any issue they would replace the glass if there was any defect so why would i be concerned?

Lifetime warranty is offered , acoustic sheild is appealing , cost is appealing, before they install i get to inspect and make sure it is sound on decfects or distortions , and if there is any defect it wont be installed.

I will check it for the shine you speak of but i havent heard any complaints from bmw folk or subaru about the wire shines etc.. they all use FYG as far i can tell FYG is better than factory in this day and age....

IMO the only thing OEM is offering is the land rover logo and pilkington name... FYG seems to be a better product from a factual point of view.

Thx though...Please provide factual arguments as to why Oem is better than FYG taking the reaserch i outlined into account.

Show me why FYG is not good compared to OEM.
It’s not my windshield, I don’t have to show you anything. You either see my point, or you’ll deny any facts I bring in front of you, and never acknowledge any point was made.

You’re approaching this with your mind already made up. And if you’re about to tell me you’re not, you’re setting the bar impossibly high for anything to change what you believe.

If you’re that bent out of shape over LR’s new products, then find a piece of donor glass that was manufactured in the same year your vehicle was. That should put to rest any concerns you have.

Or you can just buy your shanghai glass and hope you can “just reprogram” your rain sensor. We’re literally talking about ONE value. If this value and allowable range aren’t sufficient to adjust to your new glass (or the sensor is basically refusing to acknowledge any rain through it) you’re screwed. And that’s not something covered in your lifetime guarantee, unless a new rain sensor comes pre-mounted to your windshield.

You have to understand how these companies operate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It’s not my windshield, I don’t have to show you anything. You either see my point, or you’ll deny any facts I bring in front of you, and never acknowledge any point was made.

You’re approaching this with your mind already made up. And if you’re about to tell me you’re not, you’re setting the bar impossibly high for anything to change what you believe.

If you’re that bent out of shape over LR’s new products, then find a piece of donor glass that was manufactured in the same year your vehicle was. That should put to rest any concerns you have.

Or you can just buy your shanghai glass and hope you can “just reprogram” your rain sensor. We’re literally talking about ONE value. If this value and allowable range aren’t sufficient to adjust to your new glass (or the sensor is basically refusing to acknowledge any rain through it) you’re screwed. And that’s not something covered in your lifetime guarantee, unless a new rain sensor comes pre-mounted to your windshield.

You have to understand how these companies operate.

WOW..interesting ,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Way to kill a discussion.. .. i suppose i will keep what i decide to myself seeing some people are getting bent out of shape on my research.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Confirmation bias is always appreciated.

The facts are what lead me to perfer FYG over pilkngton.. i also just found out pilkington is subcontracting some of their glass manufacturing to china! The chinese are everywhere... they are manufacturing in mass for the other companies who are selling to you.
There is a number on your shield you can google which will tell you where the shield was made it is the DOT plus the three numbers after those letters.
Iam doing my research and yes i am biased toward aftermarket because OEM is not what it used to be...

·
Registered
456 Posts
WOW..interesting ,someone biased against chinese products... seems like you are the one with a made up mind against anything chinese , you might be interested to know that pilkington is subcontracting some of their galss manufacturing to FYG in an effort to lower cost while creating scarcity in sales to drive up profits.

perhaps you might be the one that needs to understand how these companies really operate.
I am marely doing research. i havent bought anything yet and i havent decided anything either.. but please go one and give your very strong opinions on what i should really do.. no bial at all...here...Have at it
Even iphone is made in china. From china you always get what you pay for.
If you pay 5$ for a maf sensor you get a maf for 5$
Good question is always “have you ever been to china”

You can buy Everything from china except condoms, look at the population of china first

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i just found out that there is no acoustic option (oem or aftermarket) for the l322 windshields.. aparently an overambitious sales person was oversellying without looking at the printed details.
I also just found out that pilkington and PPG are outsourcing their manufacturing thee days.
So i will contnue to research ans see where it leads me...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You can buy Everything from china except condoms, look at the population of china first
I just read in a different forum that pilkington and PPG are outsourcing their manufacturing to drive down costs but they are also trying to create scarcity to drive up prices... i suppose i will continue to research and see where the facts take me.. some dont like it but i plan on going with my best option today not ten years ago... lol!

·
Registered
456 Posts
THe facts are what lead me to perfer FYG over pilkngton.. i also just found out pilkington is subcontracting some of their galss manufacturing to china! The chinese are everywhere... they are manufacturing in mass for the other companies who are selling to you.
There is a number on your shield you can google which will tell you where the shield was made it is the DOT plus the three numbers after those letters.
Iam doing my research and yes i am biased toward aftermarket because OEM is not what it used to be...
Is there any land rover made part on our vehicles? I always think land rover has a paper factory for packing denso or zf parts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Is there any land rover made part on our vehicles? I always think land rover has a paper factory for packing denso or zf parts
Most of the stuff landrover uses is from different manufacturers.. the only thing i think they make are the design drawings for ther brand , the metal the sensors the components all come for somewhere and it is not just the U.K

·
Registered
440 Posts

China is proof of the range of quality you can receive from a single country.

On the low end, one can buy a 2XL shirt on DHgate.com and it comes in the size of a US medium, or, on the high end, you can produce an iPhone.

The difference being whether you, as a company, choose to trust a pre-existing (we’ll say glass) shop to build your product to your specs, or choose to build your own factory, with your own employees, with your own machinery, that you can control.

You can only bitch so much at a vendor before they stop working with you. You can control nearly everything about your employees, methodologies, and quality control if you own the shop.

Does Sony order their 85” Super OLED spec’d the same as a 49” Vizio made specifically for Walmart?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
China is proof of the range of quality you can receive from a single country.

On the low end, one can buy a 2XL shirt on DHgate.com and it comes in the size of a US medium, or, on the high end, you can produce an iPhone.

The difference being whether you, as a company, choose to trust a pre-existing (we’ll say glass) shop to build your product to your specs, or choose to build your own factory, with your own employees, with your own machinery, that you can control.

You can only bitch so much at a vendor before they stop working with you. You can control nearly everything about your employees, methodologies, and quality control if you own the shop.

Does Sony order their 85” Super OLED spec’d the same as a 49” Vizio made specifically for Walmart?

I’LL stick to my glass research.. pilkington quality is no longer what it was because of china... they are manufacturing for them and many other brands.. Unless you buy from guardian(Amarican brand made here in the U.s) you are tied to china somehow.. xyg , fyg-manufactures in OHIO) chinese brands are making their glass here in the u.s .. that doesn make it a u.s product .. but their quality is no different to pilkingtons. Yes glass is thinner these days.. so is pilkingtons unless you find a glass they made ten years ago that they havent sold... my argument is i do not see the value of paying tripple or double the price just because of a name or logo , i have read complaints of pilkinton glass coming with embedded finger prints , debris and distortions just like xyg glass and FYG , i have also been reading about pilkington glass cracking after hitting a bump just like FYG/XYG glass ,and i have read reviews of fyg/xyg where customers are very happy after having gotten rid of a pilkinton glass due to heavy fogging or some other defect.

Today there is no measurement to assess quality because the source is the same all around... china... unorftunately guardian glass does not make a windsheild for the l322 only for the velar...My research continues and so far aftermarket brands are still winning due to lower cost and better options...

1 - 21 of 127 Posts