RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

the front screen wipers on my Classic have been getting slower and slower - almost like there is no power in the electric motor. Today they have finally packed up. I can still hear the motor trying to turn them but they just sit there.

Is my motor goosed? and needs replacing, or could it just be it needs a strip and re-lube after 16 years use.

Any guidance from those who have had a similar problem would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am guessing the wiper motor transmission is striped. I had a similar problem and thats what it turned out being. Make sure the wipers turn freely before you fit new motor or the same thing might happen again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Before you trash it, get the front vents off and start shooting penetrating oil on the bolts at the arm joints. My wipers were stuck on the wind screen and wouldn't budge but I could hear the motor turning, could smell it too. I stopped messing with it for fear of burning up the motor. When I got home, I tightened the nuts on the wiper arms and the base to the hoods deck, then started spraying the motor arms thru the vent openings with the wipers on but off the glass. After a while, and some manual assistance by me, they sprang to life and are now good as new. Or good as they were, which is to say they are working.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not got ropund to replacing it yet - I just make sure I don't use it in the rain :roll:

I have done some research on wiper motors, it ranges between £90 and £200 ish depending if the "gear box" is included.

Think mine is properly goosed, I don't want to put a S/H part on because of all the time, hastle and labour taking off the decker panel and then finding that the second hand part is knackered and I would have been better piutting the cost of a s/h one towards new. The cost sticks in my throat a bit but I might just have to bite the bullet...

the other thing is my 93 Vogue is 100% original and almost mint with low miles so I don't want to mess about with 3rd rate s/h unknown parts... when a bit more expense would give peace of mind and no ? trouble.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agreed. Don't mess with something that could break in a month. Not worth the cost in my opinion.

How difficult is the process to remove the decker panel? I assume the bonnet comes off then the decker? Anything else? Clearly I've never done it before.

Best.
-W.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
according to my Haines manual and from memory as I haven't got it in fromt of me its :-

1) bonnet off (watch out for the hinges as they are spring loaded)
2). decker panel bolts undo - accessible from behind the front wings with the doors open.
3). undo wiper bolts and remove wipers etc
4). Think there was a row of nuts under the front lip of the decker panel under the bonnet
5). ease decker panel out

may have forgotton some of the process... but don't think there was much more to it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Vogue, I am new to this forum but am interested in what you are saying. I have a 1991 Range Rover Classic County Model and have the same problem as yours. I don't know how to get at the wiper motor. It looks like I'd have to get the panel with the vent intake on the hood out. But that's a big job and I am not equipped to do it. Please give me some better directions to solve the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did not get any reply but I followed Vogue's advise and got the wiper mechanism out. It turned out the problem was the passenger side wiper was frozen solid by rust. I used a hammer to knock it loose and put a lot of Lube-E on it and it moved. Put the mechanism together and tested with the battery and it runs smoothly. But when I put it back and tested with the car switch it doesn't work. So the blocked wiper probably damaged the switch? I am checking the electrical connections now and will report the result.
One other problem: I must have messed up the hood cable somehow because when I closed the hood I cannot open it. I looked through the slats in the front and saw the cable loose. How do I get the hood open? Would appreciate an answer because this is important. Thank.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Check the fuse. Then check you are getting power to that fuse. With the key on and wiper switch on you should have 12v across the fuse terminals. If no power there you'll need to trace the power from the battery to the fuse block. Pray you don't have to take the dash off to check the wires once you are in the cab.

I had a similar problem but mine was with the sunroof. Some of this might help when diagnosing the electrical bits.
best of luck.
http://okie-rover.blogspot.com/2013/06/victory-beer.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts