Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows and mirrors don't work,but work for a little while a

Hey guys, so I have my dreaded windows and mirrors not working, or my sun roof.nothing got wet I got in the car when they put my window down and I didn't go down. So I started looking at the forums and someone had said disconnect the battery 15 minutes put it back see if that works... Low in behold it actually worked!!! For about an hour then they stopped working all over again I disconnected the battery did the same thing work for a little while and then just stopped working. Any ideas?! I know there's nothing wrong with the switch pack because the entire time it lights up and it does it's thing but it only works for a while at for disconnect the battery though. Thanks ahead of time this thing drives me crazy. She runs great does everything I needed to do but these electrical issues are literally killing me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have a brand new battery. And I get the windows not set message also. I was able to set the window is but not my sunroof. But I'm still getting the error which is good I think. When I throw it in reverse my mirrors automatically move still.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
772 Posts
take out the switch pack and check the connections, see if your getting power to it. these are a part that’s known to fail unfortunately

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actaully swapped it 2 months ago because I thought it went bad. The pack lights up when the headlights are on but I will check it again for power- Just odd both are bad

·
Registered
772 Posts
The light up, is just that, illumination side of it when you changed it did it work ?. Check which pins go live when the ignition is on, I’m wondering if the windows are run through the becm ? I’m sure someone will let us know, try all connections and earths.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
The window switchpack talks to the BECM via a serial link. If this fails, then all the windows/mirrors stop working.

The mirror switches are not known to fail as they are sealed (IP rated) microswitches. The window switches are metal dome switches and are known for failing.

It could be there's some corrosion on the PCB for the window switchpack which makes intermittent connection when it's first powered up but slowly breaks down.

I've repaired numerous switchpacks where they have failed completely. As Chris mentions, the illumination is separate. It shares a ground connection with the rest of the switchpack, but the 12V power is on a separate wire than the +ve to the switchpack, and is controlled directly from the BECM, rather than by the switchpack itself over the serial link.

I'd start with the normal things of checking the connectors at BECM and swtichpack for any sign of loose pins, corrosion etc - and maybe even a continuity test along the wires, but I'm leaning to it being a switchpack problem itself, as they are a common failure point.

That being said - was it doing the same thing 2 months ago before you swapped it, or was there a different issue? If the issue is exactly the same, then that points to something on the vehicle side rather than the switchpack.

·
Registered
520 Posts
if you have a spare board have a look at the board itself , check the holes in the board for corrosion . that's the little holes that are used to deliver contact to the opposite side off the board, these corrode and stop contact . if its duff all ready then nothing to loose . get a multimeter and check for connectivity along the board , have a scratch around the holed areas . if you find something then bridge it with a piece of wire, buy some wire, finger drills and soldier from local electronics shop, take the board with you so they can advise what to use, (cheap) new board is not. might sound difficult but its not if you buy the right stuff for the job also remove the varnish from the areas you intend to soldier to. this is what was wrong with my board , the holes are where the cooper is exposed and it goes green and turns into dust.
hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts