RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The left hand front window stopped doing it's one touch thing and is proving impossible to set. It works normally without any undue noise but just will not set. Will it be a faulty switchpack? Anybody had a similar problem.
Regards
Mik

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
145 Posts
Yes, me :shock:

Just got it back to work half an hour ago, and i know now what i did wrong.
Maybe it applies to you to, give it a try.

The garage told me, that setting the windows (preferabely with the engine running so there is enough current for sure) is done by lowering them completly, and than raise them again and keep the switch pressed for a moment longer than neccessary.

They also told me that sometimes several tries where necessary.

Well, i managed to do the rear windows and the sunroof, but both frontwindows where impossible to do.

What i did wrong, and learned in an other topic on this forum, is that i wanted to do it to fast.
So when te window was down, i tried to raise it at once.

What i now did, i lowered the window(s), when in the lowest position i kept pushing the button for 2 seconds, and only then i raised the windows, and in the upper position i kept pushing the button for 2 seconds.

et-volia, window-set (or something like that) appeared in the display, and yes, it's working fine now, including the one-touch-full-drop etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Member (frequent visitor) first post- this is an invaluable thread. I replaced window switch pack (advised by another thread when the windows etc stopped working -no diagnosis just bought an EBay used one) but driver front window wouldn't set so checked handbook and it says lower and raise window in one continuous motion, which as a slave to authority I did repeatedly until finally and philosophically giving up some weeks ago. However after another visit to a Mac drive in and with time on my hands on a rainy afternoon I did what I should have done first off and found Matula's post and bingo my window works one touch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Super old thread but I'm having a similar problem: I am able to set all but the (left) driver's window, it says that it sets properly but as soon as I go to use it again it says that it isn't set! Any ideas on why this is happening? It always stayed set up until a few months ago...

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Like Magness reminded us, you have to go slow. Start with window all the way up. Roll down, when it hits bottom hold the switch and count to three. raise the window, when it hits the top hold the button and count til it beeps and says window set. Yes 2 seconds should do it... I just always give an extra sec at the bottom to ensure it registers. Same with the sunroof. Start closed, all the way back, count, all the way closed, count, raise to vent, count and close... hold button for the beep.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Exactly. The BECM is counting pulses from a rotary encoder (think like the scroll wheel on your mouse). It'll store the count when it's absolutely sure there are no more coming, indicating that the motor has stalled. The whole one-touch/anti-trap thing is a pretty neat bit of software.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I mentioned that it says that it is "set" but then when i use it it says "not set"... i really don't think i'm doing it wrong as it worked for the first two years i owned the car and it worked on all other 3 windows and it confirms that i've set it right, it just doesn't stay set. any ideas?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sometimes the rivets get loose and there is give as the window goes up. That can cause a no set problem.
I have recently put a new fuse box and have been setting the windows many times.

start at top.
go down, hold for 2 seconds and as you are going up you should see the info "window not set"keep pressing till the top and hold 2 seconds and window should be set.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yep, did as everyone has suggested and in the dash readout it says: "WINDOW SET"
then, i roll window down a bit to feel the breeze, then i might get chilly and roll it up a bit believing i have set the window properly because it has told me so, but then the dash beeps and says: "WINDOW NOT SET"
again, all other 3 set perfectly fine and this one used to be able to be set perfectly fine with no reversion to 'not set'
i will assume for now it some kind of BECM corruption that has happened unless anyone has any other information
thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Can't give you a fix, but maybe a different direction to search in...
There has to be a flag set somewhere to show "window set". Either in BECM or Outstation- I don't know which.
When the battery is removed that flag is reset.
My logic says that theres a problem with the permanent live feed wire to whichever unit holds the flag. It might be being interrupted, maybe when moving the window.
So have a look at permanent live feed cable to outstation for starters
Like I say, only a train of thought based on an approximate understanding of how the window logic might work :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's in the BECM, which has three permanent live feeds all of which feed some pretty important stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
thanks for the responses. the outstation is possible if it is failing to read a value that is indeed stored and causing the NOT SET alert, it may have suffered water damage. additionally 99% of the time the rear window reverse auto-adjust doesn't go back to where it was before it adjusts *and* the speakers are not working on that door panel too... i'll do some tinkering and maybe drop a different outstation in... i did drop the amp from the other side door panel into driver's side and the speakers started working, then i plugged original amp back in and they kept working until i turned the car off, then went back to mute. always a lot to do on this machine but if i'm pushing on details like this it means i'm getting somewhere. haha :)

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
On a side note, and speaking of details. Before you jump in that volcano, can you please fix your profile pic. :mrgreen:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Yes, the BECM holds in information about the window position and it being 'set'.. BUT

The signals from the window motors that pulse when the window is raised/lowered aren't actually sent through the outstation. Each window motor has a 'control' wire with a constant voltage on it (and then 2 wires that go directly back to the BECM where it listens to the pulses.

These wires run through the loom from the window motor to the BECM, and there are some connectors in the 'A' pillars where the door loom connects to the vehicle loom, which are known to go green and corrode (different from the infamous 'kick panel' connectors).

If resetting the window isn't working, then I would first check these wires/connectors. I doubt it is going to be a BECM issue - it's not impossible that it's a fault in the BECM - but highly unlikely in my opinion. It's more likely to be a fault in the wiring, or even the window motor itself (maybe one of the encoders isn't triggering).

The motor is easy to check - they are swappable at least front - back from memory. So if the motor is swapped into the back door and the problem moves, if it doesn't then the issue is more likely to be in the wiring to the front door.

Personally - I'd check the connectors inside the bodywork of the 'A' pillar for a bad connection/corroded pin etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts