RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the posts about the odd brown-ish color of the rear door window tint, and was wondering if anyone here has just had aftermarket window tint installed over the factory tint. This "should" in theory significantly darken the factory tinted windows to make them look black (as opposed to the brown color). I have done this before on all my previous cars which also had factory tint, though none of them had the odd brown tint as the new RR's do.

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got back from the tint shop. I have been doing business with them for a long time (I'm old). I wanted to get the two front windows tinted and asked about the color match. He said it's very hard to do because the rear doors contain special photochromic dyes that cause the windows to activate, or darken, when exposed to ultraviolet rays from sunlight. When the UV light diminishes, the windows fade back. As light conditions change, the level of tint adjusts.
He said the color will play tricks with your eyes, that it will appear brown at times, but what you see from the inside will be different from the outside and vise versa.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got back from a high end window tint shop, they said no problem tinting over the factory RR tint. I'm getting it done tomorrow so I'll post pics then.

·
Registered
565 Posts
So easy; go to a high end shop. I have 20% all around so the front windows are lighter than the rear but it looks great and adds to security. I think they use 3M. The rear + the 20% definitely darkens it so my black on black looks like a phantom rolling by.

·
Registered
87 Posts
image.jpg

They put a meter on my rear windows and it was exactly 20%. I got 20% on the fronts and it came out perfect. I paid 100 bucks for the front two windows. Took about 45 mins from start to finish.. It's hard to tell with the light coming through the back windows, but 20% is a dead match!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
They put a meter on my rear windows and it was exactly 20%. I got 20% on the fronts and it came out perfect. I paid 100 bucks for the front two windows. Took about 45 mins from start to finish..
Light diffusion is not really the issue, you and I did the same thing ... under most ambient conditions matching the front to the rears looks correct, but when the sun is shining directly on the side of the truck you can see the difference in translucence between the front and rear windows no matter what you do to the front. What the discussion is really about is on whether applying tint to the rear windows as well will make that effect disappear. This is for the uber ocd crown so I'm interested in the results. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes you are correct! I really didn't notice it until I actually stared at it as the sun was out. For me it's like the lines on the windshield. You really don't notice it until you actually look for the lines. Not much sun in Chicago since I purchased my vehicle, so I really havent notice the diff in the tint between front and rear. Nice Vette Btw!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, it did not work. Some of these pics are extreme/worst case scenario, and in most situations it does not look like this, BUT, it's still easily apparent that the rear door windows have a completely different look. It's really hard to understand how LR could have signed off on this idea....

Anyway, I did 35% 3M Ceramic all the way around, and I am happy with the results (but obviously not the brownish window issue).

Did anyone ever find out if in the US, we could order new rear door windows with out tint? I recall reading that RR's could be ordered in the UK with no tint.

IMG_20150327_182804140_HDR.jpg
A - no so good.jpg
B- slightly diff angle, looks good.jpg
Looks nice (2).jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts