RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I called a local Tint shop (reputable one in the area) regarding tinting the two front windows on my new L405. He mentioned that since they used water/soap during the tint process, some RRs he has done in the past have ended up having electrical issues due to the water getting inside of the door. He did say that he has not had issues so far with the newer models, however. Was just wondering if anyone had heard of said issues before, as of course it gave me some hesitation. Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What did he mean by "newer" models? People are only starting to get them, he couldn't have done that many already?? Sounds like he may be setting you up for a, "I told you so". My thoughts are that a qualified shop would not be getting water inside the door - though I have never had windows tinted so I'm just guessing here. Can't imagine anyone taking a car to someone who might get enough water inside the door that it would get damaged. Have never heard of this particular problem before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had all of my rovers tinted (6 in total,4 of the newest series) and have never once had any problems. But the quality of the installer makes all of the difference. I'd stay away from this one that you mention and find a better one that's not going to let water and soap drip all over your inner door. Also, go with a ceramic tint.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am with the others in that a good installer should be able to manage the water they are using. I would however go with this guy if he is recommended as I tend to like installers who are aware of issues. 15 years ago I chose a detailer in the UK because he very carefully placed a couple of strips of tape on the wing mirrors as the first thing he did and then explained that he did that even though he carried additional insurance that other detailers did not he had heard of detailers who had walked into the mirrors and he had caught himself nearly doing it a couple of times so he did everything to prevent it. Oh, and why was it an issue? because it took more than 6 months to get a replacement made on many of the cars he worked on.

Riozilla is right go with a ceramic film, but be aware that there are two types and the carbon one is what you want if you want to reduce IR (heat) and best matches the rear film.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. They are the most high volume and recommended tint shop in my area. Done several of my cars. My good friend had tint by them on her '15 RR Sport and now has issues with the passenger window... I think I'm just going to get the LR dealer to tint them if they can!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
The dealer will not do tint, they will send it out to a local shop and mark up the price they pay the third party shop.

Quite frankly the very idea that a little bit of water inside a door is going to impair operability is pure rubbish. Think about it for a moment, when your window is up the inside of your door is one big open cavity. water that gets past the glass scrapers etc is free to run all over the regulators, motor, wiring, locks etc. This is why doors have drains. THe little bit of water that gets inside the door during tinting is nothing compared with the amount of water over the life time of the vehicle.

If there are issues with a window it would more likely be from the wedges they use to clean the glass below the door panel edge and to smooth the tinting film below the edge of the glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts