RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching around the forums but didn't see much regarding window tints. I'm the proud owner of a 2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Dynamic Indus Silver and I'm considering darkening the passenger and driver windows to get a more uniform tint. What is everyone doing? Are you guys matching the tint to the rear door windows or going with something a little lighter?

Here's what I've got:

IMG_2786.jpg

Here's what I'm going for:

range_rover_sport_50_v8_supercharged_mkiv_5152e1d2707f4.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Beautiful car. I saw a similar Indus silver RRS, with a contrast black top and same wheels and the drivers glass was as dark as the rear, it was gorgeous. I'd say get the darkest tint available in your state and wrap the top black...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Being in Illinois, you are limited to 50% transmittance:

(4) On vehicles where a nonreflective smoked or tinted
glass that was originally installed by the manufacturer on
the windows to the rear of the driver's seat, a
nonreflective tint that allows at least 50% light
transmittance, with a 5% variance observed by a law
enforcement official metering the light transmittance, may
be used on the vehicle windows immediately adjacent to each
side of the driver.
Also being in/around Chicago, you should print out Public Act 098-0153 and keep it in your car for when you get a ticket. You will then at least have shown the officers that it is an unlawful ticket and you might have a chance to get around their qualified immunity if you have to go to court, since Chicago still thinks that they have home rule when it comes to the Illinois Vehicle Code.

That being said, while I don't like the gangster look, I think that matching the back as closely as possible will look better. I will probably go as close to it as legally possible, while not sacrificing drivability at night too much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have done this a couple of times to different vehicles as the expertise that I have relied on is the tint shops themselves.

They know what they do and they see what has come back to their shop for 'fix it ticket' removal or damage replacement. In the US, I think that the SouthWest has the most liberal tinting laws befitting their location in harsh sun.

What I have experienced in these conversations is that there is the law (no tinting) and what people actually get ticketed for (agressive tinting). This may vary according to your municipality much the same way as I see variance in front license plate enforcement (i.e., you must have one where I live, but only Palo Alto is militant about it.).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being in Illinois, you are limited to 50% transmittance:

Also being in/around Chicago, you should print out Public Act 098-0153 and keep it in your car for when you get a ticket. You will then at least have shown the officers that it is an unlawful ticket and you might have a chance to get around their qualified immunity if you have to go to court, since Chicago still thinks that they have home rule when it comes to the Illinois Vehicle Code.

That being said, while I don't like the gangster look, I think that matching the back as closely as possible will look better. I will probably go as close to it as legally possible, while not sacrificing drivability at night too much.
Excellent advice. I was reading around and it seems Chicago had their own "home rule" up until recently which made any tinting illegal even though in Illinois under certain circumstances it was legal. I'm going to the tint shop in a day or two and we'll see how sufficient a 50% tint is.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
50% tint is nothing more than anti glare coating. It's barely noticeable my against the 20% rear your not going to notice any sort of darkening effect.

image.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
All i did was put 5% on the driver and passenger windows. There is so much glass on the RRS, the 5% doesn't seem to dark. To me at least. Right click open in new tab to get a larger view.

·
Registered
124 Posts
All i did was put 5% on the driver and passenger windows. There is so much glass on the RRS, the 5% doesn't seem to dark. To me at least. Right click open in new tab to get a larger view.

Can we just say again that your car looks good (you did a good job with the front tint), but you did a *fantastic* job with your Continental Divide trip. That is what these Trucks should be doing. I need to go on that trip. Nice work.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In NC as long as you can get your car inspected by a "friend" and get it passed then most match the back windows. I think it looks much better especially with the contrast black roof. I believe the pics below are 20% with NC legal being 35%. The first pic is the before pic. The second pic you can see through the drivers window since you are looking through the windshield. The other pics it looks plenty dark but I was also in the shade. With the pano roof in these things it really doesn't look to dark. I will say at night you need to get used to turning right or left because it does affect your vision. I usually just roll it down a touch if the corner is really dark.

IMG_0962.jpg IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0963.jpg IMG_0966.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tonka Amazing photo-(the mt. view) just made it my screen saver!
After seeing all these black roofs I am definitely looking at modifying mine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can we just say again that your car looks good (you did a good job with the front tint), but you did a *fantastic* job with your Continental Divide trip. That is what these Trucks should be doing. I need to go on that trip. Nice work.
Thanks, i'm about ready to start planning another road trip. Not sure where to though... maybe up to the Northeast via the Smokies. Maybe out west again, but more Utah and northern Colorado.

I was reading some of the Tesla forums and many of those guys swear by 3M Crystalline and Huper Optik Ceramic. Anyone using these? Other brands to look into?
Haha, only on a Tesla forum i guess. But i guess that's easy for me to say, my good friend owns a tint shop and has been tinting cars for over 20 years now. By word of mouth only. So it's easy to trust his judgment.

Tonka Amazing photo-(the mt. view) just made it my screen saver!
After seeing all these black roofs I am definitely looking at modifying mine.
Which one? I'll PM you a link to a larger version. I have them all they way up to 5000 x 3000 pixels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, only on a Tesla forum i guess. But i guess that's easy for me to say, my good friend owns a tint shop and has been tinting cars for over 20 years now. By word of mouth only. So it's easy to trust his judgment.
What brand does your friend use?

·
Registered
252 Posts
What brand does your friend use?
I haven't got a clue. I'll shoot him a text and ask.

I know for a large number of years, he used 3M. But i don't know if he's changed it up. Anyone who's been tinting for that long has used 3M for a good portion of time. I don't even ask because i know if there is an issue, no matter how insignificant, he'll rip it off and redo it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
In NC as long as you can get your car inspected by a "friend" and get it passed then most match the back windows. I think it looks much better especially with the contrast black roof. I believe the pics below are 20% with NC legal being 35%. The first pic is the before pic. The second pic you can see through the drivers window since you are looking through the windshield. The other pics it looks plenty dark but I was also in the shade. With the pano roof in these things it really doesn't look to dark. I will say at night you need to get used to turning right or left because it does affect your vision. I usually just roll it down a touch if the corner is really dark.

View attachment 125378 View attachment 125386 View attachment 125394 View attachment 125402
What color is this? The silver looks and shines through!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solarguard

He'd normally go into why he uses that brand, but his father passed away last tuesday so i'm not going to ask for an explanation.
Thank you for the recommendation. Sorry to hear about your friends father. I know that can be a difficult time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts