RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just ordered a new window regulator. Previous one has been already repaired twice ! Anyway, do I need to also replace both blue rail clips (part# ALR1051) or can I reuse the ones that are already in place. Will those clips break when removing them from the regulator assembly (I had many plastic parts crumble in my hands while removing) ? What would you do ?

N.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was told the same by Trevor from rovahfarm. BTW, he's got the cheapest price for this part if you buy through his ebay store (usd 78 in auction or usd 88 using buy it now).

N.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
I bought mine from Trevor back in March of 2008 and the three spot welds gave out 12 months later.A Friend welded it back and its been good since.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
desertboy said:
I bought mine from Trevor back in March of 2008 and the three spot welds gave out 12 months later.A Friend welded it back and its been good since.
Are you implying these regulators are worse than OEM ? If so, is there any preventive welding to do before installing ?

N.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, they are not OEM quality. Since I bought mine almost 2 years ago, YMMV. Check the spot welds to make sure they are aligned correctly. If I remember, one of the welds were slightly off and put a strain on the regulator. That may have been the cause of my issue. I don't like to knock a product based on one experience and at the same time you may want to check yours out of the box and compare it with the OEM one.
Do report back on the quality and fit in case mine was a one off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
desertboy said:
Yes, they are not OEM quality. Since I bought mine almost 2 years ago, YMMV. Check the spot welds to make sure they are aligned correctly. If I remember, one of the welds were slightly off and put a strain on the regulator. That may have been the cause of my issue. I don't like to knock a product based on one experience and at the same time you may want to check yours out of the box and compare it with the OEM one.
Do report back on the quality and fit in case mine was a one off.
I will report back. Thanks for the info !

N.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a brief mail exchange with Trevor @rovahfarm, here's what he has to say:

Ignacio, its a good thread, back in 2008 i was selling regulators that did occasionally give out at the welds, the ones that did i replaced no problem. Others never broke and worked just fine. I figured it was poor operation of the spot welder as it wasn't a consistent problem.
The ones I sell today have much stronger welds on the crossing arms and an extra spot weld where it joins the cog,
So far since selling these in June of this year i haven't had any problems with any of them

These are not OEM since OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer and the only OEM out there makes them for Land Rover and as far as i am aware does not sell them aftermarket.

These are however made to OE specs by a ISO 9001 company, I myself think the pressings are high quality. Just so you know when a company states OE it means that they are declaring that they are making the part to the exact specifications of the original whereas aftermarket means it will perform the same job and will fit but may be slightly different to look at

Hope this makes sense

If when it arrives you are not happy just return and i will happily refund your money minus the shipping

Trevor
The part is on it's way, and I'm confident it will be on par with the OEM. Trevor is a nice guy to deal with. I'll upload detailed pics of the regulator once I get it here.

N.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Like I said, ones the welds were sorted out, it seems to work OK. You will need a decent riveter for the steel rivets. I know some here ended up using socket head screws. I have a Hydraulic hand riveter and it worked great for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i did mine last week,also used cap head bolts and nyloc nuts.
i re used the plastic clips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up:

I replaced my faulty (previously repaired) LHS window regulator with a new one from rovahfarm. 1 month later my RHS regulator failed, so again I ordered a new one from rovahfarm. Unfortunately I couldn't find the time to install the RHS one, but the LHS replacement is working allright.

As promissed, here are a couple of crappy cell phone shots from the rovahfarm's part...

[attachment=4:3sinqgf7]IMG00055-20100222-1947.jpg[/attachment:3sinqgf7]
[attachment=3:3sinqgf7]IMG00056-20100222-1947.jpg[/attachment:3sinqgf7]
[attachment=2:3sinqgf7]IMG00057-20100222-1947.jpg[/attachment:3sinqgf7]
[attachment=1:3sinqgf7]IMG00059-20100222-1948.jpg[/attachment:3sinqgf7]
[attachment=0:3sinqgf7]IMG00060-20100222-1948.jpg[/attachment:3sinqgf7]

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple more:

[attachment=2:e4675c32]IMG00061-20100222-1949.jpg[/attachment:e4675c32]
[attachment=1:e4675c32]IMG00063-20100222-1951.jpg[/attachment:e4675c32]
[attachment=0:e4675c32]IMG00064-20100222-1951.jpg[/attachment:e4675c32]

Overall it seems a good quality part, and so far I recomend it. Plus, the price and excelent service of Trevor @rovahfarm can't be beaten.

N.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts