RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here. Just recently imported a 1987 2 door turbo diesel RRC. Having a couple problems with the passenger window. The window won't go down, nor is is it sealed properly. The door seems to fit snugly, but the window sticks out a little bit at the top and on the side. Lots of wind noise. So my questions are 1. could the window not rolling down be due to it not fitting properly (the switch clicks but it doesn't budge at all) and if so 2. any suggestions on how to get the window fitting snugly? If they are not related, does the switch clicking mean that the motor is broken, rather than the regulator? Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
95 Posts
Hi Dutch,

First, I own a '95 RRC/LWB and it is a completely different model without a doubt. However, if you have consulted the RAVE manual (it is linked to this site, so you can find it), you might find the cause of the poor fit and reason for not moving.

Additionally, if you are in Oakland, CA, you are not too far from Auto Europa at 645 Bryant St, San Francisco, CA 94110 (phone number 415-882-9970). Ron Mifsud is the owner and he's worked on my RRC several times and from my experience and his Yelp ratings, seems to know what he's doing.

You can certainly try removing the inner door panel to see if you can determine what's binding, or removing the window assembly from the door and dismantling it (although I am not suggesting that and there are people on this forum who know better than I what your problem might entail).

In any case, I wish you the best in getting it resolved!

Bob

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,069 Posts
My suggestion, remove the inner door panel - its maybe six screws. Jam a stick under window or in the regulator so the window doesn't fall down. Pull out the motor and activate the switch. The sprocket should turn in both directions, if it doesn't then the gearbox is most likely had it, and you will need to buy a new motor and gearbox. If it works fine, then there is probably a problem with the regulator and or slides. Push the window up with your hand, it should slide up smoothly. If it doesn't it could be the regulator or else there has been some recent discussion here of the tracks rusting. I haven't done this, but apparently if you tilt the window a bit you can get the glass out of the tracks, remove the stuff lining the slides, clean the rust out of the slides and put it all back together.

There should be a little plastic wedge on the front slide about 200 mm below the top of the door to stop the window popping out of the slide while going up. It sounds like the wedge might be missing.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
12 Posts
My passenger window did not go up/down. You would just hear a click. I took out the motor and regulator. Everything seemed to work fine. I cleaned/greased up the slides, regulator and gear. Window works great now. You may need 2 people to get the holes lined up for the last few regulator bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts