RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have the OEM roof rack; does It cause ‘significant’ wind noise at highway speeds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts
To those who have the OEM roof rack; does It cause ‘significant’ wind noise at highway speeds?

Thanks.
No. I installed the OEM roof rack and cross bars last week and have yet to notice any difference in wind noise at speed. The biggest complaint is having the front cross bar inline of sight for front passengers. When you look up from the drivers sight, your view is of the cross bar. It would be nice if they had various mounting points for the cross bars.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
298 Posts
I think adding the roof rails adds a considerable amount of wind noise. Adding the cross bars on top of that, yes I certainly here it at 70+. It’s bad enough to where I take it off between uses so I don’t have to hear them.

I did drill more holes in my rails so that I could move them further back, that seems to have helped a bit. However, upon further reading those mount spots are very carefully chosen for maximum roof load capacity and I probably won’t be using my “new” mount locations again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi Guys, Im very new here, I do have some experience with this, my solution was to get thin, clear plastic tubing, like for an aquarium air line and wrap it across the face of the bar at a bit of an angle, it basically changes the way the wind interacts with the flat surface and makes a great decrease in noise if not totally eliminating it....worth a shot at a few $ worth of material and its clear so not an eye sore.

·
Registered
492 Posts
hi Guys, Im very new here, I do have some experience with this, my solution was to get thin, clear plastic tubing, like for an aquarium air line and wrap it across the face of the bar at a bit of an angle, it basically changes the way the wind interacts with the flat surface and makes a great decrease in noise if not totally eliminating it....worth a shot at a few $ worth of material and its clear so not an eye sore.
Could you post a picture of yours please.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just removed my bars for the winter, thinking of filling them with expanding foam and then coating the exposed bits with epoxy to reduce whistling noises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts