RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got allot of questions about winches hopefully some of the more experienced off road drivers can help me narrow down the choices.

Brand: Warn is popular and I'm guessing pretty durable. I've heard that Superwinches are lower cost but do a great job. In a magazine I just saw some solid state drive winched from Mile Marker. Does anyone have any experience with those winches?

Payload: with a fully loaded rover stuck in the mud will a 9000 lb winch do or should I get more pulling power?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
warn is THE top of the line, but as you have found out, you pay for it!
i have run t max, warn and smittybilt.
i currently have the new design smittybilt and it is very good, especially for the money. i have always had 9/9.5k lb winches.
i always run synthetic line, so add that into the cost if you prefer it over steel line.
the t max and smittybilt have been used the most from the ones i have owned, and neither have let me down at all.
as far as rating goes, 1.5 times the weight of the rig is the industry standard. so if the rr weighs @5000lbs, i would get at least a 8000lb winch, more likely a 9k one though.
i use the jeeps in much rougher terrain than 99.9% of p38's would ever see, so take that for what its worth.
if you decide to go with one of the makes i have had, feel free to shoot me a pm to discuss pro's and cons of each etc.
martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
no problem!
the winch i run now is a smittybilt xrc10 IIRC, with a t max boomer box solenoid pack (wireless controller basically).
slow line pull, but pull it does :thumb:
here is a pic of it hiding behind the arb bumper on the heepster.
[attachment=0:rnboti8t]frontflexweb.jpg[/attachment:rnboti8t]

martin

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts