RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone aware of any aftermarket companies offering either a front winch mount or underbody protection/skid plates for the L405 as of yet? Just installed lift rods and some 275/55/20s and would like to add a winch and some underbody protection before doing any significant off-roading. Also looking for tube sliders/rocker protection if it is available as well.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: found under body protection for anyone looking in the future and finding this thread:

https://www.devon4x4.com/range-rover-l405-2013-on-underbody-armour-set.html

Just looking for a winch mount and some rock sliders now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have taken off the front bumper before to install a remote radar detector. There is not much room behind there for a winch. It would have to be mounted on some kind of aftermarket number with the winch outside the vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the L405 with the front bumper cover removed? Wondering if I can get an idea of whats back there, mounting points etc, without having to take the bumper cover off until I have a game plan. In doing some more searching I see the Silk Road expedition L405s had a winch mounted behind the bumper cover on the front but cant seem to find many detailed pictures and no mention of who made the mounts. Anyone have any info on those?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
13 Posts
If you want to do some serious offroading, have you thought about contacting Land Rover UK HQ? They might be happy to see what you are intending to do with their car and they might be willing to help. Just an idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While thats a nice sentiment, I think it would a lot easier to have someone fabricate them locally (if I cant find anything out of the box) than try and go back and forth with someone at LRUK. I can pretty much tell already I am going to need to find someone to fabricate them as a lot of hunting has turned up no information/options on the winch mounts or sliders.

I did discover that the Silk Road Expedition trucks used 1st gen RRS G4 expedition racks, checked pricing with the local dealer to find out its $2700CAD (pricey but tolerable) but to add proper roof rails and cross bars to the L405 is an additional $2400CAD in parts. I have a hard time swallowing $5k to add a proper rack to the truck without factoring in additional lighting, a second full size spare and a side awning. Could quickly be $7-8k deep, kind of disappointing.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Yea, LR has not produced "off road" gear for the full sized in ages. Aftermarket companies are painfully slow to pick up the ball because the market is extremely limited. The cost of development, safety testing and certification is just not likely to be covered. The last full size that ARB made anything for was the Classic. Of course both Discos are covered with and without SRS, LR3 and 4 are covered.

Sadly you are most likely going to be limited to one off production.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought LR did eventually make some stuff for the L322 RRs, there is certainly at least some aftermarket stuff available for them but I guess in reality the body style started in 2004 so they have had lots of time to get the ball rolling.

Going to get a winch ordered and get the ball rolling on finding someone build the cradle and some sliders, I'll keep everyone updated as I make some progress. Going to order the underbody armor from Devon 4x4 too, will post some pics when I get that and its installed.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
The L322 started in 2002 across the pond and 2003 here.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Folks, as you probably know I have been looking onto these questions heavily for my 2014 Supercharged. WHat I have found out so far ais as follows.

1. Re the 2014 Silk Road Expedition RRs, they had a really cool Warn designed hidden winch mount that fitted into the lower bumper. So far, neither Warn nor Land Rover has agreed under my prompting to reproduce them as a product so far. I am sure if anough of us coplained, that could change.

2. Voyager Racks, in Florida, is willing to design and produce expedition racks and winch mounts for our L405s. and is just waiting for the local dealer to send them one so they can do it. If you live near them,. please volunteer to send yours in and they will probably do it for a low cost, then make the results saleable to us all.

3. I just came across Prospeed in the UK, which designed and is producing a really great low profile expedition rack for the latest Discovery. I have asked them to design and produce racks and winch mounts for the L405, and they have said they are planning to in 2019. PLEASE ALL WRITE IN TO THEM TO TELL THEM HOW MUCH WE NEED THIS!!!!

Your friend,

John L405 at split for emailing.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
14 Posts
Anyone aware of any aftermarket companies offering either a front winch mount or underbody protection/skid plates for the L405 as of yet? Just installed lift rods and some 275/55/20s and would like to add a winch and some underbody protection before doing any significant off-roading. Also looking for tube sliders/rocker protection if it is available as well.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: found under body protection for anyone looking in the future and finding this thread:

https://www.devon4x4.com/range-rover-l405-2013-on-underbody-armour-set.html

Just looking for a winch mount and some rock sliders now.
Regarding the Rival brand "under armour" protection, I too saw that online but was unsure whether it is a bolt-on substitute for the plastic front skid plate on the current 2018 L405, and did not see a US (or even North America) distributor. I ripped off the plastic skid plate on a rutted beach road and have ordered another plastic one but had hoped to instead replace it with something that might actually provide some protection AND also allow access to the front tow eye. Did you order one and if so have you installed it (and the other protection) yet? Cost and time to ship to NA? Thanks for any insight on this!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks to me like they are steel direct replacements for factory plastic protection. I have not ordered yet but will be doing so in the next week or two, I'll post some pictures as soon as I have got them and I'll let everyone know what they cost to ship as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last year I purchased a Stainless Steel replacement to get away from the cheap plastic on the front of the RR. Its very good quality and looks beautiful, however its no "armour" by any means.
This may be helpful to some of you. This is what I purchased....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Land-Rover-Range-Rover-2013-2017-stainless-steel-bumper-board-skid-plate-bar-/272772047754?hash=item3f827b238a

[url]https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=FOR+Land+Rover+Range+Rover+2013-2017+stainless+steel+bumper+board+skid+plate+bar&_id=272772047754&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

[/URL]

·
Registered
321 Posts
PM sent re: winch mounts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have any experience with these LR branded/designed 'side protection tubes'? Just wondering if they are some thin wall tube that will buckle under any real use or if they are actually decent?

http://www.supertweaks.com/range-rover/range-rover-l405-vogue-2013/range-rover-l405-vogue-2013-exterior-accessories/range-rover-vogue-2013-side-protection-tubes

Being genuine LR i am questioning their quality as far as of legitimate offroad use, LR usually builds stuff for the parking lot 4-wheeler that wants the look but isnt ever going to abuse their stuff very much.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Really about time we all came up with a solution for the winch problem, all FFRRs except the L405 got a factory one but that isn't looking likely for us unless somebody knows someone at LR. Anyone who has ideas for that or a custom one from some other supplier please chine in!

Cheers

John

John

·
Registered
655 Posts
Meanwhile in MOTHER RUSSIA FRONT ARMOR LANDROVER L405 FOLLOWS YOU!

I saw saw this on instagram.... IMG_3169.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts