RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here's a tough one.

I'd like to mount a winch on my 92 County. I have a 95 bumper, and OE Brushguard. The kicker is I also have a Rovers North steering guard mounted as well. So...where do I mount the winch?

Originally I had intended to mount the winch behind the bumper and hang it upside down so that it was mostly hidden. Now, with the steering guard installed there isn't enough room between the steering guard and the frame rails.

Any ideas that don't include getting rid of either the bumper, brush guard or steering guard? Surly someone has solved this once before.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
Hey buckeye- The age old question of winch + original equipment. There are not many options. My friend (who is on here) and he might even chime in, is planning on using an "under bumper mount"

Pic located on this page - http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/rrwinch.html

As far as buying something, thats about your only out of box option.

Now, I am not sure if that will interact with the steering guard as there is limited room down there.

If you wanted to go the route of winch bumper - be careful when finding "GDE factory winch bumpers" They are a unicorn, but they are aluminum I have seen a few around by me where people have made them, but I would not trust the weight of my truck attached via aluminum... It can be done, but as range rovers net says - "Unless you are an expert aluminum welder and mechanical engineer (to analyze the winching stresses in your particular modification) I wouldn't do this as a home garage job."

I personally made my own winch bumper for about $350 in materials out of 3/16th steel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
sdf.jpg

Hey Buckeye,

This is what Grnole is talking about. It is a metal box (3/8 steel) that mounts between the frame rails using the hardware that is holding your brush guard up. You can mount the relay box where ever you like.

Not sure how it will work with your steering guard, but it might. Where is that mounted too?

Unfortunately I think these are super rare at this point and I would not know where to even look for another. This I have had for many moons...

However, if you are handy and have access to a plasma cutter and welder I can certainly provide 2D drawings for you (and anyone) looking to create.

Let me know any questions

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts
in the past I have used a jeep winch mount plate and customized it for use on rovers. harbor freight offers universal winch trays as well.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
You could also use a front hitch mount, then the winch could be used in the front or the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the harbor freight universal tray and am trying to see what might work. Problem is, there isn't much room for anything because everything (bumper, brush guard and steering guard) all mount to the same place.

I'll take some pictures and post tomorrow. I'm going to try and modify another bumper mount to see if I can drop the steering guard down a few inches to allow the winch tray to bolt to the frame.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The previous owner of my RRC had a steering guard and then added a winch bumper, where the 2 clashed , they'd cut some notches in the winch tray part of the bumper. When I fitted the winch I bolted some heavy straps between the bumper and the steering guard to lock the 2 together. From what I could see the main interference point is where the high lift jack eyes are..... I did wonder why they didn't just cut them off flush, as the bumper would have more than likely fitted!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got some pictures. Hopefully someone can see what I'm talking about and provide a workable solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to make new mounts for the steering guard, out of heavier steel and include both bumper bolts, and then have a universal winch tray welded to the mounts..... but I'd imagine that it would need to be moved as far back as it can, and then I'd have concerns as to the amount of space available for your winch... Plus what are you going to do about the Flair head / Hauze ?

It might be easier to fit a receiver hitch to the front and use a demountable winch.... does have the advantage that it can also be mounted on the rear as well (subject to a similar arrangement) and you can also have a set of plug in jumper leads made too.... you never know when you might need a little boost with a Range Rover!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
So - Few areas of concern here.

1. I would say that if you are looking to install a winch, the steering guard is more important than your stock bumper.
2. Your bumper has 2 mounting points on either frame horn. That's it for Stock mounting locations. (I like these because they are sleeved providing more strength.)
3. Because you stock bumper mounts flush up to the steering guard, you are going to have some issues mounting a winch box unless you fabricate it yourself.

This would be a relatively simple fabrication- in my mind, but something will have to give. Either you are going to have to Notch your bumper to allow the mounting plates to reach the top and bottom bolts on either side, or you are going to have to notch the plate to fit the bumper. I would prefer notching the bumper or scraping it all together. (but thats just me)

You would make a box using 3/16" steel and retain all your current items with a little modification. Just get some longer Grade 8 bolts and good to go

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could you get an ARB bumper with winch mount? I know its expensive but it would be bolt on direct and no messing around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So - Few areas of concern here.

1. I would say that if you are looking to install a winch, the steering guard is more important than your stock bumper.
2. Your bumper has 2 mounting points on either frame horn. That's it for Stock mounting locations. (I like these because they are sleeved providing more strength.)
3. Because you stock bumper mounts flush up to the steering guard, you are going to have some issues mounting a winch box unless you fabricate it yourself.

This would be a relatively simple fabrication- in my mind, but something will have to give. Either you are going to have to Notch your bumper to allow the mounting plates to reach the top and bottom bolts on either side, or you are going to have to notch the plate to fit the bumper. I would prefer notching the bumper or scraping it all together. (but thats just me)

You would make a box using 3/16" steel and retain all your current items with a little modification. Just get some longer Grade 8 bolts and good to go
HAHA we had exact opposite ideas!

·
Registered
372 Posts
haha yea. I felt like the OP was trying to retain stock look, and keep costs down. I am too cheap to buy an ARB, hence my DIY winch bumper

·
Registered
256 Posts
Couldn't you mount one of these to the chassis leg next to the steering guard...
s-l1600 (5).jpg

And then use one of these..
s-l1600 (6).jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. That's what I'm going for. I'm gonna try a few mock-ups tomorrow and see what shakes out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally had the chance start fabricating the wench plate and do some test fitting. I still have some trimming to do, and a little welding, but I think it's going to work. Pretty sure I'll have to cut on the bottom of the bumper as well, but that's ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
i like where this is going. keep up the pics!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made a little more progress today. Welded the plate, had to relocate the mounting hole for the wench ears, and then got the wrench mounted. Pretty cool how it's turning out.

Now, I need to find a good place to mount the solenoid case and run the wires. After that it'll be test fitting the bumper, and then making brackets for the steering protection.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts