RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice rig. I have seen other Rovers that have installed the warn winch. However, you will lose the brush guard that you currently have. Doc Leo would be the one to ask and maybe he will chime in. Do search using his name and I think you will see his setup. Most of the ones that I have seen require a modified or rebuilt front bumper to accomodate the winch and its attachment to the frame.

Good luck.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
I don't know to which Warn winch you refer, If you mean the 8274, I am reasonably sure the answer is "no." There may be other Warn models that could work in a hidden mount, as I have used for a Ramsey REP 8000. As you can see, I was able to modify an original brush bar to make it all work together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... ilit=winch

Heres my Classic design that involves a whole new bumper. Its tough as nails, not pretty though. I also have another design that will work with the brushguard. If you are interested I will go into more detail. I made it for the P38 but it will work on our Classics.

By the way my wife loves your Classic.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doctor Leo said:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31153&hilit=winch

Heres my Classic design that involves a whole new bumper. Its tough as nails, not pretty though. I also have another design that will work with the brushguard. If you are interested I will go into more detail. I made it for the P38 but it will work on our Classics.

By the way my wife loves your Classic.

thank you so much :)

so what u did is made the frames longer to make space 4 the winch, that's smart idea, if i can make that under my brush guard it will work with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Thats basicly what I do for the P38. Its a low profile winch carrier. Build the winch carrier minus the side wings and it should fit inbetween the brushguard mounts. Look at the MKIII winch mount, you will get a idea of eactly what its suppose to look like.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doctor Leo said:
Thats basicly what I do for the P38. Its a low profile winch carrier. Build the winch carrier minus the side wings and it should fit inbetween the brushguard mounts. Look at the MKIII winch mount, you will get a idea of eactly what its suppose to look like.

but this is what the problem is>> most of the winches i see they are about 85/95 lb, is that ok 4 the front?

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Yeah it wont be a issue. In the future I would put extra stiff springs in the front and stiff in the rear. But you will be just fine with a M8000 in the front.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
You should really lose the brushguard if you are serious about hitting the trails. They cause alot of damage when they make contact with the body, worse than if it wasnt there. Our LR club calls brushguards "body damage accelerators". Not to metion the brushguard just ruins the RR's lines. I would lose it and build my bumper design above. Just spend more time than I did on the finishing work. Dont waste your money on powder coating, a good primer spray paint, a couple coats of satin black, couple coats of clear and it will last just as long. Buy enough steel to build rock sliders and a rear bumper.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
[attachment=0:2rcwlrpt]rang winch_2.JPG[/attachment:2rcwlrpt]seems like the right time to show you my 94 rangie and her warn winch .bought the car two years ago(one in a long line of classics )originally owned by land rover .the winch was fitted from new .the car racked up 70,000 miles in two years before being moved on.16years later it has just under 120 thou.have no idea what purpose it was fitted for,still works,clearly has had some use but not by the previous owner.the winch model is m800 and as you can see fits discretly under the bumper
as with most of you guys would love to know more of our cars(or trucks ) history as i´ll be keeping her .has some rot but nothing terminal. the climate here helps for her in semi retirement. cheers jon

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jonmlb748 said:
[attachment=0:1oijnig8]rang winch_2.JPG[/attachment:1oijnig8]seems like the right time to show you my 94 rangie and her warn winch .bought the car two years ago(one in a long line of classics )originally owned by land rover .the winch was fitted from new .the car racked up 70,000 miles in two years before being moved on.16years later it has just under 120 thou.have no idea what purpose it was fitted for,still works,clearly has had some use but not by the previous owner.the winch model is m800 and as you can see fits discretly under the bumper
as with most of you guys would love to know more of our cars(or trucks ) history as i´ll be keeping her .has some rot but nothing terminal. the climate here helps for her in semi retirement. cheers jon

beautiful rover,

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doctor Leo said:
You should really lose the brushguard if you are serious about hitting the trails. They cause alot of damage when they make contact with the body, worse than if it wasnt there. Our LR club calls brushguards "body damage accelerators". Not to metion the brushguard just ruins the RR's lines. I would lose it and build my bumper design above. Just spend more time than I did on the finishing work. Dont waste your money on powder coating, a good primer spray paint, a couple coats of satin black, couple coats of clear and it will last just as long. Buy enough steel to build rock sliders and a rear bumper.
the only reason i keep the brush guard is because i want that original land rover looks, i use this rover mainly 4 long distance expeditions and that means off road also, but not to hard core off road,

winch will be good safety tool , ( i am sure i will be pulling more other trucks out than my own but its good to have it)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Go by West Marine and buy a Delta anchor for a 40ft plus boat with atleast 20ft of chain. Thats the only land anchor that works.

If you want original LR looks lose the brush guard, never seen a Series with one. What about a ARB bumper? You dont have SRS so it should be around $650 for a winch bumper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts