RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I`m long due for finish my winch set up on my RRp38. In my search for a durable electric winch I`m now at two options.

1. Warn Zeon 10s its Warn latest line of winches with syntetic rope. no doubt a good winch, but it`s realy pricey over here
2. Smittybilt X20 comp second gen. ( to be released in may 2014 ). Cost less, but all the technical data is superior to the Warn Zeon.
http://www.smittybilt.com/brochure.htm

So down to my quastions: I have search and read some old threads about this issue, and remember I read that Smittybilt is stated as an "china winch", is that right?, because I got the impression that Smittybilt is an old American firm going back to 50`s.

Anyway, this latest issue of the Smittybilt X20 comp 10K. winch has, as you can see in the Link above, a 6.6 Hp motor, is submercibel with an Ip68 rating, faster winch speed than the Warn, and is actual superior to the Warn in all the technical datas, and comes with an Lifetime Warranty and will be less pricey to get a hold on for me over here than the Warn Zeon 10s. But is the Smittybilt - **** quality -
We know that Warn is normaly good quality
But even the Smittybilt X20 comp 10K that is availible today with the 5.5 hp motor outruns the Warn ( according to the technical data sheet) comes to winch speed under load.

I think the threads I been reading before is so old that this X20 comp and the Zeon 10s winches wasn`t availible back then

Anyone? give some input.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Our P38 came with a Warn winch. It's dead.
Our wheeling rig has a Smitty 10k winch on it, that I fitted @5yrs ago. The Smitty is working fine still.
I wouldn't trust their synthetic line myself, and indeed did not. They are made in China, and it is evident int he materials used and workmanship vs a Warn etc.

Martin

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are made in China, and it is evident int he materials used and workmanship vs a Warn etc.

Martin
Hi Martin, I didn`t realy understand the last part of this sentence, you know being an norwegian and all, will you please clearify a little so maybe I catch it:think:

I understand the thing with the quality of the rope, then I just buy the one with the steel cable, and change the to a good quality rope and Hawse fairlead myself, it will possible save me some money too.

Best regards Brage

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Typo probably didnt help neither huh?
I meant that it is pretty clear that it is made in China, by the materials used etc.
Before I installed ours, I removed the side cover and greased it all up. It hardly had any in it!

Martin

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clearyfication, so it`s realy China made:sad:, that doesn`t sound good. Sad :crybaby2:because the technical spesifications looks real good on the paper.

Well I have a few months to decide. If I go for the Warn Zeon I need to spend a lot more $, but the Warn brand reputation is good and because of that any future re-sale is easy.

Need to think twice:think:

Best regards Brage

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
478 Posts
Get the Smittybilt one, Warn is horribly overrated and probably has a many China-made parts in it as the other one.

Fit a proper synthetic rope, and winch on.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,439 Posts
I think you need to get some proper professional advice on winching gear. I have bought stuff from these guys and their advice has been very good:-

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

They even do a submersible winch !!! You get what you pay for I think.

I have got a Chinese 10,000 lb winch for my p38 which is OK I guess for occasional use and self recovery. As Martin said Chinese stuff often has quality issues. I had to rebuild the solenoids on mine before it would work.

I personally would not use a wire cable. They are dangerous and a pain to wind back on the drum. I bought a proper Dyneema rope from Goodwinch. Much easier and safer to use and you can get a longer length on the drum.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
The OP was going to use synthetic Dave, just not the junk that Smittybilt put on there. That is one place to NOT try to save a few $$$ in my book.
Forgot to mention, my solenoids are T Max, as I had one of their winches on my last wheeling rig, and it was spot on. I came across some spare solenoid packs for it, so snapped them up.
So, my solenoid pack is T Max, winch line is USA made, and finally the Smittybilt 10k winch. Like I said, it has performed good on the wheeling rig, never missed a beat. Just a little slower, and a little noisier than the high dollar makes.
Some of the components are made in China, no doubt. But Warn make a big deal of it being "assembled" in the USA....

Martin

·
Registered
897 Posts
What winch mount do you have? If it is the factory winch tray, be sure it will fit correctly. The factory winch is a Warn 9000CE which a low profile winch and is a tight fit in the tray.

The previous owner's original Warn wasn't working, went into the dealership with the truck and they gave him a brand-new one. When I got it, it had never been used for recovery.

Worth noting that every component on the Warn is replaceable and there are rebuild guides on the web. I have only used Warn so I can't comment on Smittybuilt. My buddy put a HarborFreight special in his for cheap, but I fear the one time he really needs it, it won't work. Not worth the effort for an inferior product.

As far as cable vs synthetic, tons of people are moving to synthetic but it is not as durable as a cable. There is no question that it is safer though and saves about 40 lbs sitting over the bumper. A few years ago in Death Valley, we winched an LR3 out of a precarious situation and I took a good look at the synthetic line being used. It picks up rocks and these can cause microabrasions in the line. The line is also prone to heat cycling on the cylinder and UV breakdown, though most of the new ones are better protected. There are tons of threads on offroading forums about the synthetic vs cable debate so you can spend days reading about them. I was going to switch, but decided to just stick with my cable because I don't use it often.

(just for fun, here is the LR3 about to tip over)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys.

I ended up with the new Smittybilt X20 10000lbs Gen 2. competition with synt. rope that is. Finally it arrived, installation is not done yet, will post some pics when it is.

Must say it looks real good / strong built and nice looking too. Comes with detailed parts list, Lifetime mechanical warranty and 5 years on electric.
Looking forward to the first test run:razz:

Will keep you updated:thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
You will be happy with it.
I rarely use the one on the wheeling rig, but whenever I ask it to do some pulling, it always performs, unlike the Warn POS that came from the dealer on our LSx P38.....

Martin

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I personally would not use a wire cable. They are dangerous and a pain to wind back on the drum.
Wow. It's amazing anyone that ever used a winch off road up trough the 90's is sill alive. I feel so fortunate!! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts