RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a winch on my 2001 NAS P38 and am running into issues as to where to mount the control box. I am using a Terrafirma winch bumper and a Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch. The control box will not fit on top of the winch without cutting the cross member running in the middle of the radiator, and the plastic grill. There is no room to turn it in the well in the bumper either. Looking for ideas as to where to install this thing where it would be easily accessible, but not easily damaged while off roading. If anyone has a picture or two that would be great!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
The LR factory one mounted on the passenger inner fender IIRC. I took mine out years ago.
I just built a winch bumper for my kids 4runner, and mounted the solenoid pack behind it, just below the passenger headlight

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
We always mount the control box inside the engine bay, on any car. Better protection from the elements, and even more important, no chance of anyone messing with the winch controls. Just lengthen the 3 cables (proper thickness of course) and put it wherever's convenient.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I mounted mine on a bracket in front of the battery.

My winch is removeable and plugs in using an Anderson plug and socket.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am installing a winch on my 2001 NAS P38 and am running into issues as to where to mount the control box. I am using a Terrafirma winch bumper and a Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch. The control box will not fit on top of the winch without cutting the cross member running in the middle of the radiator, and the plastic grill. There is no room to turn it in the well in the bumper either. Looking for ideas as to where to install this thing where it would be easily accessible, but not easily damaged while off roading. If anyone has a picture or two that would be great!
Same winch here, good choice. I let the control box on top of the winch. I cut the cross member and the front grill. Made a new one (steel). Looks good enough :)
https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/info-mounting-a-winch-to-a-p38-with-srs.337162/post-2277727

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I decided to mount it on the frame rail just behind the recovery point and tucked up behind the skid plate. I had to make custom cables but it was leftover from making new battery cables. I also made a custom bracket out of some sheet metal. I just bumped it out from the frame rail about an inch so I would have some room to tighten the bolts with. I ended up using the bolts the bumper attaches with to hold one end and drilled a small hole to put another bolt through to hold the other end. The control cable for the winch is easy to attach without getting on the ground to do so. Now to just go and test the new setup!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Zoom in on my kids 4runner bumper. Top just left of center is the plug in
Makes it so no hood opening etc when wanting to use it. Could mount the plug anywhere though. If you have the wireless remote, which I think you do, just mount the rocker switch in an easy to get to place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts