RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Gents,

I made myself an winch bumper, most likely not compatible with/for airbag, but I don't care about that.
What I do care about is that I wouldn't be happy if the airbags come out when I hit something lightly.

Question is, with a non compatible winchbar, do the airbags come out too quick, or not at all?

It's a 4.6HSE from Jul1996.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Ive made my own winch bumper on the '04 Disco, and wheeled it pretty hard. Hard enough so that I'm now installing FZJ80 locking axles....lol
Zero warnings or issues with the SRS

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,220 Posts
The SRS system works on the shock of an impact. Earlier vehicle had shock sensors on the chassis rails, and later vehicles had a shock sensor mounted inside the ECU itself.

I don't think that having a different winch bumper will affect this - as the shock sensor will trigger at a preset level... for example, a 2G trigger is still 2G - whether you've hit something with a plastic bumper or a steel one. They'll still go off at whatever the set trigger level is.

If they trigger earlier with a steel bumper vs a plastic on with the standard crumple cans... then that will be down to the energy level being higher and not absorbed partly by the crush cans before it gets to the sensor. I would imagine though that if your new bumper still attaches to your crush cans, then it'll all still work as intended...

I think you would need to hit something pretty hard in a P38 to trigger the air bags!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts