RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • even though the 2 door is limited , i'm sure the 19' 4 doors will have the same styling. looks like the new 2019 body styles are going to kill the sales of the 2018 models, who would want an 18'...
    61ef75b492b9c51a9e3760cdce511599.jpg

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am confused on who this is supposed to target. Starting at $295,000, it isn't that "fast" and it doesn't seem to have much room. So if you are not targeting the "sport suv" people, or people that get driven around, who are you targeting?

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
As it is a complete retool for a two door it may very well be an entirely new model. I don't see why it "kill" 2018 sales. It's been in the works for quite some time, they've just finally formally announced it.

As far as an updated styling for 4 doors they would require some retooling as well. Moving the vents back to the fenders requires retooling of fender and front doors. The contour at the trim line and steeper departure angle would require rear doors, quarter panels etc.

There is no development "L" code in TOPIx yet. This is most likely just the initial marketing flash to get people excited.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
If LR builds it someone always buys it... Even if it looks like a 405 picked up an Evoque for one night stand. :lol:

At that price with the SV moniker it may very well be that departments first full separation. There has been talk of SV becoming their own branch of Range Rover much like the SRT group separated from Dodge.

·
Registered
952 Posts
  • even though the 2 door is limited , i'm sure the 19' 4 doors will have the same styling. looks like the new 2019 body styles are going to kill the sales of the 2018 models, who would want an 18'...
    View attachment 256145
I can hardly tell the styling difference outside of missing 2 doors...I certainly wouldn't be put off buying a current model vs a nebulous possibly of that new styling at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,151 Posts
Doubt LR will change the L405 design again until the next generation. The front and side changes are likely specific only to the coupe.

Happy to be wrong but it doesn’t make sense to change the 2018 only to change it again for 2019. Plus the PHEV looks identical and is already branded as a 2019.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
If LR builds it someone always buys it... Even if it looks like a 405 picked up an Evoque for one night stand. :lol:

At that price with the SV moniker it may very well be that departments first full separation. There has been talk of SV becoming their own branch of Range Rover much like the SRT group separated from Dodge.
Makes sense since a hand full of JLR vehicles have been sent to the SVO department.

Dollar for Dollar I would by this LR before looking at the Bentley SUV. The concept EXP 9F was a much better looking SUV than what the Bentley eventually released.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Makes sense since a hand full of JLR vehicles have been sent to the SVO department.

Dollar for Dollar I would by this LR before looking at the Bentley SUV. The concept EXP 9F was a much better looking SUV than what the Bentley eventually released.
Would you buy this over the 4 door SV?

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Would you buy this over the 4 door SV?
Lol. No I have 3 kids. With the choice between the Rolls, Bentley, Lamborghini and 2 door Range Rover I am picking the Range Rover. Throw in a 4 door SV RR then I'd pick the 4 door. Those vents on the 2 door do look nice though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am confused on who this is supposed to target. Starting at $295,000, it isn't that "fast" and it doesn't seem to have much room. So if you are not targeting the "sport suv" people, or people that get driven around, who are you targeting?

With only 999 produced RR is targeting customers who want an exclusive bespoke/handmade RR that is not for the masses. I imagine the buyers believe the forthcoming Rolls SUV is too flashy. Think of this as a Maybach S class.

Certainly with less than 1K produced,the coupe is more exclusive than the Bentayga.

I read on CNET that only the hood and lower tailgate are shared with the standard RR.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No.

And LR should have upped the 'cool' ante by debuting a more beefed up engine that better competes with and surpasses the Bentayga in power and speed. The performance is weak when compared to the (ugly) Bentayga.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
With only 999 produced RR is targeting customers who want an exclusive bespoke/handmade RR that is not for the masses. I imagine the buyers believe the forthcoming Rolls SUV is too flashy. Think of this as a Maybach S class.

Certainly with less than 1K produced,the coupe is more exclusive than the Bentayga.

I read on CNET that only the hood and lower tailgate are shared with the standard RR.
Where I am getting confused is on the size to speed ratio. The Rolls or Bentley have more room, you don't have to move a seat to get to the back. The 4 door SV can already compete with those two cars, or you can make an even higher end 4 door SV if needed. This is a 2 door coupe, they gave up size, but didn't really add much power. It's a 2 door luxury suv, which I guess isn't clicking in my mind yet. When I think 2 door suv I think it should revolve around being sporty. I figured it would compete with the Lamborghini not the Rolls Royce.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
So why did so many people by bloated S class coupes? Same thing you are describing, not much room, close to impossible to get into the back, no leg room back there if you actually made it back there. Why did so many folks purchase Corniche or Mulliner coupes for the almost 30 years they were produced? At least with a Corniche or an MPW coupe you could say you had a Rolls. Same with Bentley and their Continental and GTs over the years. It's a niche market that some folks will be more than happy to buy into. The only thing they all have in common is that they are big heavy 2 door hard tops that suck gas and are bought for name and status.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
So why did so many people by bloated S class coupes? Same thing you are describing, not much room, close to impossible to get into the back, no leg room back there if you actually made it back there. Why did so many folks purchase Corniche or Mulliner coupes for the almost 30 years they were produced? At least with a Corniche or an MPW coupe you could say you had a Rolls. Same with Bentley and their Continental and GTs over the years. It's a niche market that some folks will be more than happy to buy into. The only thing they all have in common is that they are big heavy 2 door hard tops that suck gas and are bought for name and status.
Agreed.

In a way it is almost going against what a full size range rover is all about. The lead designer has stated countless times that a Range Rover is for people to be driven and will not have a 3rd row.

This coupe barely has a 2nd row and the people who wish to be driven wont want to climb in the back. Another reason why I am glad that they started producing the LWB again.

I still think they should make a convertible Velar. Seems like a much better foundation for a convertible than the Evoque is.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Most of them had high performance variants though, and it was the high performance variants that ended up costing about $100k more or so than the non coupe model, it wasn't just because they were two doors. I get that these will sell either way and I am reading too much into it, but it still perplexes me.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I for one don't care for the Coupe, and it's beyond what I'd pay for a car, anyway. I hope all of these will sell and sell quickly to happy customers, so that the money made can go back to R&D.

·
Banned
107 Posts
The original Range Rover, was a 2 door. I'm sure you all know this, so this model will be appealing to those rich enough, and old enough, to recall the original and feel the romance of the link between the two. It is not supposed ot compete with, or compare to the current model.

This is evolution, of design and of the market. Don't worry about it, espeically if you cannot afford it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it's a bit ludicrous and pointless beyond...but hey, to each their own haha. Now a 2 door Velar SVR coupe...that could be somewhat interesting...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As it is a complete retool for a two door it may very well be an entirely new model. I don't see why it "kill" 2018 sales. It's been in the works for quite some time, they've just finally formally announced it.

As far as an updated styling for 4 doors they would require some retooling as well. Moving the vents back to the fenders requires retooling of fender and front doors. The contour at the trim line and steeper departure angle would require rear doors, quarter panels etc.
This is what I was thinking too when I first saw it, this took a huge investment in Tooling, there is no way they would spend that kind of money for only 999 units. I would say it’s just a matter of time before a 2 Door is offered across the entire range. The question is when?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts