RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to purchase a cable to plug into my comp/eas from one of our sponsors, but he is currently back ordered and suggested I search elsewhere.
So I came across this cable, Will it work the same?

OBD2 16Pin to DB9 Serial Port RS232 OBDII Adapter Cable
Connect your diagnostic interface and your vehicle with this OBD II to RS232 connector cable.
OBD II 16 Pin Connector
RS232 Connector

Battery Power 16

Chassis Ground 4 1 + 2
Signal Ground 5
1 + 2

CAN High J-2284 6

CAN Low J-2284 14

ISO 9141-2 K Line 7 4
ISO 9141-2 L Line 15
J2850 BUS- 10 6
J2850 BUS+ 2 7

So wll I be able to use it to access my EAS computer Via the program offered by one of our sponsors?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I guess that depends on which program you are running.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
I guess that depends on which program you are running.
I believe it is was the free RSW one.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Nope...
I just made and sent one of these cables out to a buddy for use with the RSW software. You need to get an open ended OBD2 J1962M cable and custom solder/crimp a DB9F connector to its end, in accordance with RSW's instructions. There's no commercially available substitute cable. Leave it to LR to communicate in a non-industry standard configuration.

Get the OBD2 open ended cable here:

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/obd- ... -open-end/

and go to Radio Shack for the DB9F connector.

Use instructions from RSW and cable supplier to match open ended wiring colors to correct DB9 pin configuration.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Either will work, but for the sake of a few bucks you're chaining yourself to a much shorter lead.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
There's no way to tell for sure that it will work. As you can see from the ad, the cable provides limited pin comms. Does it have all 16 pin wires from the OBD2 plug contacts in the cable, or did the original mfg only spec the wires necessary for the configuration? If the latter, then you might cut open the cable only to find a limited number of hard moulded wires. Basically useless. :( ...or you could score yourself a bargain.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Not sure if you guys have Mouser in Canada, but if you do, they carry all the parts you'll need. If you make them from scratch, if my memory serves me correct, it was like $2-3 total for the OBD and serial connectors and another $1 for the OBD pins. The cable, I bought at local hardware store for about $2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts