RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been doing some searching and it appears that the question has been asked numerous times, but there has not been a definitive answer.

Will a post 99 BOSCH alternator fit on a pre 99 GEMS car?

Reason I ask, is that I believe my alternator is failing, and my quotes have been around $440 for reco's and $900+ for Genuine. I would prefer a BOSCH if I can.

Stu

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Everything can be made to fit. The question is how?
Brackets are different.
A lot of work for sure like anything that need to be adapted.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I looked into this to see if it could be done and as a Experiment bought a cheap Alternator and Mounting Bracket of e-bay. Compared the Various Different Bits and Pieces Etc. and worked out it could actualy be done but you would require various other parts from a Thor Engine i.e Fanbelt,Idler Pulley,Different Length Bolts Etc.
Decided it Really was not worth the Effort as the Major Stumbling Block is the Routing of the Engine Wiring Harness this would have to be Completely Re-Routed due to the Design of the Bosch Alternator Mounting Bracket and would probably mean Lengthening the Harness as well, which really isn't practical as the only Benifits Gained would be a Slightly Higher Ampage Output from the Alternator.
I'm sure Someone doe's Re-wound Alternators with High Ampage Output which would be a Direct Replacement for the Gems Engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have seen details from someone who has done it and I'm fairly sure that it was on this site, it included a pic of what was done.Do a search and you will probably find it. From memory they made extension brackets from ally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts