RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over here it's not uncommon to have people mock the reliability of a Land Rover, often specifically a P38a Range, by saying you need 2 of them, so you can drive one while the other is being fixed. 8~

I must admit I often had to revert to using the spare car, but usually because of upgrades on the other one (such as replacing the 4.0 with a prepped 4.6 8) ).

Last Tuesday things turned out a bit different:
My GF was taking her Range out laning for the first time, with me as navigator. She (and I) really enjoyed it, one of the first sunny days, exploring the area and the possibilities of the Range she got for her valentine (a bit late, as on the 14th the engine was still in the donorvehicle).
At some point we had to turn around and a wide entrance to a field seemed like the perfect spot to do it. She set on very gently, I felt the tyres struggling for grip but by the time she pushed the accelator in an effort to pull through, it was too late. The ground was very soft an tryning to cross some ruts caused by a tractor proved too much for the ATZ tyres. Naturally I had to try for myself, but the only direction I was going was downwards. Digging, pushing and lowering tyre pressure didn't help.
Next step was calling some friends, but the only one available was her brother, with a little Fiat. He took us home, so I could get my Range to help. It was quite a challenge, I couldn't get my car either in front or behind hers, so had to try and pull around the corner.
It did take a lot of V8 power, just lovely hearing both engines roar as the cars finally moved.

Too bad we didn't get any pictures, we did think about it, but with 2 cars and just 2 people there...

I am planning to post some pics of 'His' and 'Hers' later on. :wink:

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ah all in a days fun.I guess you really did "ESCAPE" :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Escape said:
Over here it's not uncommon to have people mock the reliability of a Land Rover...
I shall reffer you to a sticker on my Discovery....

:mrgreen:

It's a shame you didn't have anyone to get some video of the recovery, its always nice to hear a V8 under load not going very fast. :twisted:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tango said:
It's a shame you didn't have anyone to get some video of the recovery, its always nice to hear a V8 under load not going very fast. :twisted:
Even better with two V8s going at it `) `)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
If i understand well, you swapped your GF 4.6 engine for your 4.0 engine :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
996TURBO said:
If i understand well, you swapped your GF 4.6 engine for your 4.0 engine :mrgreen:
Well, emm... :oops:
You're a regular Sherlock (or perhaps Poirot is more suitable) aren't you? :wink:

I had Prue, the 4.6 auto, for a few years and in the time gave the engine a good top end rebuild (Torquemax, ported heads and manifolds, shortened trumpets...). Really liked her, but still prefered a manual.
Then I came across Piper, a 4.0 manual with a rebuild engine and a new gearbox, and just couldn't resist. The plan was to swap the engines at some point (and the GENIII, and the Mickey Thompsons...), and sell Prue. But when Diede started to drive the Rangies, plans changed a bit. 8-|=
The 4.0 wasn't in as good a shape as I hoped either, when towing the cartrailer she clearly lacked power and consumption was through the roof. Another reason to go ahead with the swap and at the same time check the engine. Turned out the timing chain was stretched and the camshaft worn, appearantly this was considered an unnecessary expense when rebuilding the engine with new liner. :roll: /:(
It now runs a lot better, also with a Torquemax and shortened trumpets, but I left the heads alone as that job does look like it was properly done.

And both of us are happy now! It was a lot of fun doing the engine swap and rebuild together as well. 8)

Greetz,

Filip

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I don't understand? You guys don't have a back up Rangi for parts huh.. 8~ :? :lol:

Scotty 8)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mmmmmm,the rangie i saw yesterday would mean you would need three of them as there was nothing much left on the old girl to use that worked or was usable,300thou Kilometres on the clock all originial apart from air bags and ,radiator and some leads.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I just watched the Top Gear Bolivia Special, where they got 3 4x4s and drove them for a 1000 miles through the jungle/mountains/desert to the sea. Clarkson had a RR Classic and apart from a bit of overheating (due to "breaking a few fan blades on bamboo") and most of the gauges not working, it was functionally great! The final mile though, where they had to drop about 4000 feet back to sea level down a huge sand dune, was insane - nearly 1:1 for a mile, going down sand!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scotty said:
I don't understand? You guys don't have a back up Rangi for parts huh.. 8~ :? :lol:

Scotty 8)
Actually, there's 2 of those as well. :lol:
But I have an excuse, both donorcars are being broken in our Shop, and most parts get sold to customers. 8)

Greetz,

Filip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts