RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Supercharged Sport is immaculate, covered 42,000 miles, and fully serviced and fully loaded in Beautiful Bornville Brown. I placed it for sale on Autotrader two weeks ago for $49K and the only offers I received were from dealers (most circa $43-$45K) or scam artists. I just dropped the price to $47K and still not a sniff from a genuine private buyer. Has the market fallen out of these cars with the new model on the horizon? Should I just take the cash from a dealer? Or should I hold on for a genuine buyer that will appreciate my Rover?

Perhaps people only want to buy this type of car from a dealer, although I had thought that wouldn't be the case given that My car still has factory warranty into next year. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I need some advice.....

Megan

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Or should I hold on for a genuine buyer that will appreciate my Rover?
That would be perfect but it depends on the reason you are selling. In my opinion, the bottom won't fall out of the L320 Market because it is a different Vehicle to the '14 RRS.

I think everyone is tired of me repeating "sell when you want to, not when you have to" Unfortunately, People buy when they are ready to buy, not when you want to sell, so give it more time if you can.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Occasionally I browse the pre-owned listings of RRS available in our local LR dealers here in CT. They do remain on their lots for far more than 2 weeks. One factor that a sales manager mentioned in our local dealership is that the color plays a big role in how fast a vehicle gets sold. I would be patient and don't give in too much on the price.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
. They do remain on their One factor that a sales manager mentioned in our local dealership is that the color plays a big role in how fast a vehicle gets sold. I would be patient and don't give in too much on the price.
According to Dupont, the most popular colors for SUV's are:
  1. White - 19.3%
  2. Silver - 18%
  3. Black - 12.4%
  4. Med. Dark Blue - 11.4%
  5. Med. Dark Gray - 7.5%
  6. Med. Red - 7.1%
  7. Med. Dark Green - 6.7%
  8. Light Brown - 5.1%
  9. Bright Red - 4.5%
  10. Gold - 1.8%
Source: http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/best-color-to-buy/

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Based on your ad vs. what's showing up on Autotrader you have a very competitive price and it looks great. As stated above, be patient. I would not give in to the dealer prices unless you are trading it and get a sales tax break on the new car which offsets your current asking price. With used cars the more people that know that you are selling the car the faster it will sell...make your coworkers (company intranets are great), relatives and everyone you know, aware that it's for sale. Good luck.

Hey Bright Red is only #9? What is Really Bright Red then? `)

j/k Umbertob.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Since color was brought up I'll mention what I heard from the Manheim folks once. In 1917 the most popular color was black. That's because all Ford Model T's were painted black. Fast forward. Most sales of SUV's consist of the Ford Explorer, Chevy Tahoe, etc. Very few of those are bought to order, so if you are Ford etc. you make relatively safe colors: white, black and grey for inventory. Also rental car companies like white because they don't show scratches as much. This really skews the % of colors. When you get into the higher end SUV's you get more custom orders and varied colors. I don't see this particular color RRS being a big issue in the selling process.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ever since the chupacabra of iPhones showed up in white color, most women who buy sports are wanting white. Most guys like a manly brown color. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2010 Supercharged Sport is immaculate, covered 42,000 miles, and fully serviced and fully loaded in Beautiful Bornville Brown. I placed it for sale on Autotrader two weeks ago for $49K and the only offers I received were from dealers (most circa $43-$45K) or scam artists. I just dropped the price to $47K and still not a sniff from a genuine private buyer. Has the market fallen out of these cars with the new model on the horizon? Should I just take the cash from a dealer? Or should I hold on for a genuine buyer that will appreciate my Rover?

Perhaps people only want to buy this type of car from a dealer, although I had thought that wouldn't be the case given that My car still has factory warranty into next year. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I need some advice.....

Megan

I realized something unique happening....Craiglist may be outgunning Autotrader.com in car sales and cars sell fast. My last 3 vehicle was purchased from Autotrader.com, including my 06 RRSSC bought 5 years ago. I recently went to Autotrader.com to purchase a vehicle for my daughter and discovered that there are limited selection for what I was looking for. I guess more people list on Craiglist for free. They are skipping a paid advertising. I was surprised how fast cars I was looking for sold on Craiglist. Try Craiglist, but beware of Autobrokers and dealer who wants to sell for you. I was told by a seller I wanted to buy from that she received a lot of call from them. I ended up purchasing from Craiglist. My first time ever. My experience is somewhat mixed, but nevertheless positive mostly.I have also seen listings there by private seller for a Land Rover Range Rover Sport and other high end vehicles. Gooluck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've sold 2 cars on craiglist that sold pretty darn fast (4Runner and Lexus IS250). But be cautious about how they will pay you.
I also placed the car on Craigslist, and have had a few responses. However, they all seem to be dealers, private buyers that want me to give me a trade in (?), or will only buy it if they can pay by PayPal.......which sounded really dodgy so I didn't go for it. Especially as they offered pay full price without even seeing the car LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on your ad http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=07928&endYear=2010&modelCode1=RANGESPORT&showcaseOwnerId=41577936&startYear=2010&makeCode1=ROV&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&firstRecord=51&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=352305278&mmt=[ROV[RANGESPORT[]][]]&listingId=352412741&listingIndex=16&Log= vs. what's showing up on Autotrader you have a very competitive price and it looks great. As stated above, be patient. I would not give in to the dealer prices unless you are trading it and get a sales tax break on the new car which offsets your current asking price. With used cars the more people that know that you are selling the car the faster it will sell...make your coworkers (company intranets are great), relatives and everyone you know, aware that it's for sale. Good luck.
Thanks Gooseyloosy, That's the car (although I couldn't get your link to work at first!) Obviously, I think it looks quite good too. I will probably hold out for a reasonable price as you and other are recommending. I don't really need to sell it now, but thought it much more marketable at this point with the factory warranty remaining.

I did wonder if the dog guard was putting people off - I don't think many people know what it is here in the U.S. or wonder if they think its a police accessory or something!

Megan

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yeah IDK what's happening with that link but its not working. I took it out.

What about taking a pic of a cute puppy in the back and adding that to the picture collection? A brown one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
or will only buy it if they can pay by PayPal.......which sounded really dodgy so I didn't go for it. Especially as they offered pay full price without even seeing the car LOL
This is scam, they tried it on us over smartphone, if you agree, you will get email from Paypal saying they received your money but will not turn it over to you until you provide tracking number (in our case) as buyer protection. Problem is Paypal never works like this and our email was confirmed by Paypal to be a fake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Freshman,
I thought it was too good to be true.

M

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have a CarMax nearby, take it in and get an offer, some friends have been very happy at how much they got for their used cars there. We also have a classified section here on rr.net...
Thanks Umbertob,
CarMax sounded interesting but after looking into it the nearest location to me is offer 200 miles away in Chicago :(
I will add it to the classified section here when I get my act together LOL

M

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah IDK what's happening with that link but its not working. I took it out.

What about taking a pic of a cute puppy in the back and adding that to the picture collection? A brown one.

That is actually a good idea, my Husky would clarify the situation! Only I can't figure out how to upload an additional or replacement photo to the Autotrader advert without having to pay the whole advert fee again! Bugger!

M

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just spent a lot of time looking at the prices of 2010 SC before buying over the last 5 months. You're in the ballpark. A dealer would sell your car for $51-$52k. I have seen them taking 45 days to sell though. Good luck! Do try and sell before the factory warranty is finished - that really helps. Even a few months warranty gives a buyer a lot of confidence.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts