RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given BMW had a V8 diesel (the M67) in the 740d, which would seem more

appropriate for a 2.6 tonne vehicle than the six, why didn't BMW fit it?

Anyone know?

Just for historical interest you understand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
maybe they didnt want to stress the old gearbox ?? with the extra torque

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Naw - the ZF tranny would have been fine with it - and they had more transmissions to choose from (would've kept us away from the fragile GM 5l40e...)

**** good question, actually. :think:
Maybe because someone decided that (for whatever reason - beancounters prolly) the X5 shouldn't have that motor (it didn't) and a RR with a V8 diesel would've been to strong in house competition?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given the small volumes the engine was made in, you'd think they'd want to find another application for it.

I've no idea what gearbox they used with it in the 740d, but I'd be very surprised if it was the GM one.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Probably the same reason LR went with a FORD transhit engine for teh 'new' Defender
rather than the TdV6.
Who knows.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
KurtVerbose said:
I've no idea what gearbox they used with it in the 740d, but I'd be very surprised if it was the GM one.
From 1998 to 2001 the M67-engined 740d had to soldier on with the old 5-speed ZF 5HP30 (BMW = A5S560Z) transmission, which had been around since 1992, when the petrol (M62-engined) V8s adopted the ‘new’ ZF 5HP24 (BMW = A5S440Z) unit. The V8 diesel produced too much torque for the 5HP24 (440Nm capacity) to handle.

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts