RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I own a black RRS Autobiography 2014 and I'm thinking about getting a new one, but I'm also taking a careful look at other luxury SUVs. The Audi is very highly rated by Consumer Reports. Then there is the Tesla and many others.

How did you pick the RRS? Have had a few of them? What other SUVs have you owned and what do you think of them?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Oh dear lourde Tesla? The Tesla X Jelly Bean has no heritage, class or presence. I had to laugh when a buddy described it a Leaf on steroids with no grill and gimmick doors. If you are looking in the nonpetrol or diesel arena the 2019 PHEV is looking interesting.

Audi Q series are quite nice, comparable and dang good looking. They have much better interface and accessories. Audi also shares the same spotted history with EAS failures since they are the same basic systems with the same wear items. Of course all the gizmos have their quirks and folks that complain about failures like any other tech laden vehicle.

There are pros and cons to all makes and models. It all depends on what is important to a particular buyer. Cars are a very personal extension of a person. You can ask why 50 folks bought model B over model C and chances are you will get at least 40 different answers. Perhaps you should be asking yourself why you bought the Sport you have now and ask if the new models still hold the same draw that the 14 did when it was new.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Audi Q7 is a fantastic Minivan.

You also get a nice hump in the middle of back seat which is a plus. I believe this is the result of great engineering from Audi team to convert the previous SUV Q7 into a exotic Minivan in 2017.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I crossed shopped the Jeep Trackhawk and MB GLE 63s. The RRS won out simply because my wife liked the looks better. I would be driven more by performance, but this is her car, afterall.

Teslas do nothing for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't even consider Range Rovers to be in the same league as most of the others. Firstly, the off-road capability of a Range Rover is far beyond an Audi, BMW, Porsche or otherwise. Most of those SUVs are focused on on-road performance. Range Rover has stuck with their heritage and continues to perform off road far better than others. As far as on-road performance, certain models (V8 SC and the SVR) will give those other luxury SUVs a run for their money. Bottom line is - if I was looking for a high-performance on-road SUV, I'd consider the others and if thats all you're going to use your Range Rover for.....then maybe it's not for you.

Teslas are nothing but problems; their initial quality rating is dropping like a lead balloon. Their service and support staff is atrocious; service teams lack detailed knowledge and know-how on the vehicles to resolve basic issues. After watching what one of my friends went through with his Model S over the last 5 months, I won't touch them until they get it together. You can find plenty of information about the vehicles produced by them over the last year and the issues they're having. Not to mention that the Model X is hardly an SUV - I doubt that thing could make it through a ditch. Its more of a large, tall riding cross-over than any true SUV or a minivan.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It depends on what is really important to you in your life. For me it goes in this exactly order:

1) Safety (Model X=10, RRS= 8 ) - The Tesla claims they're the safest, but you really don't feel like you're sitting in a $100K vehicle at all. I have driven one for a week and it felt like an upgraded Prius. Don't get me wrong. I love Tesla as a brand and I have two model 3s and the 2020 Roadster on order. But the Model X was just not a $100K vehicle.
2) Utility (FF Range Rover=10, RRS= 8 ) - I don't just mean off-road capability. But overall utility. Getting 5 adults in comfortably, while carrying their luggage and having them feel comfortable. In both RR models you can comfortably show up to the White House and to your kid's soccer game and feel at home.
3) Performance (Porsche Cayenne Turbo=10, RRS= 8 ) - This category is too may things, acceleration, top speed, braking, handling and cornering ... But none of the competition can go off road like the RRS so there's that too
4) Styling (To my RRS actually wins in this category with a 10) - My very biased and subjective opinion
5) Luxury (Bentley Bentayga=10, RRS= 8 ) - The Bentley costs $250k+
6) Value (Dodge Durango SRT=10, RRS= 8 ) - Dollar for dollar, equally equipped, the RRS beats almost all competitors, but the Durango (and the Jeep) are obviously better from a value proposition alone
7) Exclusivity (Bentley Bentayga=10, RRS= 8 ) - You can get a pretty exclusive RRS if you opt for the SVR

In my opinion in each category there are one or two cars that might beat out the RRS, but overall I can't find one that scores higher overall. I've named the car above that would get a 10 in each category IMO and what RRS would score ... But it's almost never the same car twice.

You name another car that would score and overall higher score (Volvo XC90 comes close) and I'll consider it :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
At the end of the Day, the RR and RRS are the Benchmark that every other Luxury SUV manufacturer uses for their own Vehicles. Even Rolls Royce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts