RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So the L322 has the air intake going into the guard and drawing it's air from there. If that's the case am I right to presume it sucks it in from the 'power vents'?
If that is the case, surely there is no reason a snorkel can't be made to fit over the vent area. You'd think if there is one available for the Sport then the top of the range Range should get one?
Does anyone know any reason why they aren't available?
Are there just not enought people out there who'd use it?

I criss-cross rivers quite frequently when looking for salmon fishing water and having a snorkel is cheap insurance the way I see it. Also good to get nice cool clean air for the motor too.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Damo said:
Hi Guys,

So the L322 has the air intake going into the guard and drawing it's air from there. If that's the case am I right to presume it sucks it in from the 'power vents'?
If that is the case, surely there is no reason a snorkel can't be made to fit over the vent area. You'd think if there is one available for the Sport then the top of the range Range should get one?
Does anyone know any reason why they aren't available?
Are there just not enought people out there who'd use it?

I criss-cross rivers quite frequently when looking for salmon fishing water and having a snorkel is cheap insurance the way I see it. Also good to get nice cool clean air for the motor too.

Cheers,
Damo.
I'd imagine the range would electrically freak out before a snorkel needed to come into play. You can make them pretty easily though.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
94 Posts
hi

Power vents are cosmectic only.

There is no aftermarket snorkel just yet as there is not for P38A either. :|

The market just isn't there mate, so either you modify one from an existing 4x4 reference : take into account, A pilar shape and degrees and length up to where you need top catch up with the air box up front or a piping you'd do inside the engine compartment.

Or you make your own :dance:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder, how close is the Sport snorkel to fitting? If the angle from the lower box to the pipe is close or even the same it could be modified?
One of the troubles with making one up is the bonnet opening getting in the way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let us know if you come up with a suitable snorkel, Damo.

I run my truck in very dusty environments and am tired of constantly emptying sand out of the air box and replacing the air filter element.

D

·
0 Posts
verydisco said:
hi

Power vents are cosmectic only.

There is no aftermarket snorkel just yet as there is not for P38A either. :|

The market just isn't there mate, so either you modify one from an existing 4x4 reference : take into account, A pilar shape and degrees and length up to where you need top catch up with the air box up front or a piping you'd do inside the engine compartment.

Or you make your own :dance:
Actually you are in error.
The passenger side vent actually has a duct that goes to the air intake. Check it out. It hides behind that fender.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't looked into it but I'd love to get hold of a Sport Snorkel and see the difference (or lack of difference) in the angle of the snorkel.
I am having some car parts done up by a plastic welder at present for a car I am restoring and its amazing what they can do. I wouldn't be suprised if they could alter the angle of a Sport snorkel to make it closer if needed. I'm sure they could make a neat and factory looking fitting for the side vents too.

I've got a bit much on my plate at present to get into another project but I'm keen to hear any more from anyone trying anything out.

By the way Wolf01, I can see from your picture there, you really could use it!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, a RRS snorkel could probably be bent if necessary to fit the rake of the FFRR windshield (windscreen in Kiwi/Aussie-speak). However, I'd not be happy with the fact that the base (where it would come out of the front fender [quarter panel to you and me]) would sit awkwardly across the upper half of the long, vertical slats of the side vent and cover the side indicator. One (very expensive) option would be to remove the side vent and get a panel shop (beater) to graft in an aluminum (aluminium) sheet to match the profile of the front fender.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm actually making one right now I made a fiberglass cover to cover where the vent would normally go on the side then took flex pipe bent it way i wanted it glassed it, all there is to do now is finish the bondo work attach it to the vent cover paint it and install it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Gazellio said:
Would that not fail the MOT in the UK due to not being able to see the side repeater from the front?
Maybe, but i could add a led or two in the snorkel.
I'll pass the french MOT in the next week without cats but MOT guy is my friend 8)

·
Registered
641 Posts
gaping hole wouldn't really matter too much in an MOT unless the gaping hole is exposing something dangerous, or its got protrusions from it which themselves are dangerous, but if its just a hole in the wing, then its a hole in the wing ... not really a testable item.

I think the spare tyre is funny and similar case in point .... if its in the vehicle presented for the test, then the spare tyre must be of good condition etc etc .... if its not present in the vehicle for the test, then there is no MOT requirement for it, and so its not tested and not a failure item. I've put a number of my cars for MOT without a spare tyre in the boot.

In terms of the light .... if you get on OK with your test station / garage, then approach them in advance and ask if it would be a fail or not. I did that a few times for an old off roader ... the chaps went away to the MOT book, looked through it and gave me an answer on whether it'd pass or fail based on issue.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
94 Posts
sweetwater said:
I'm actually making one right now I made a fiberglass cover to cover where the vent would normally go on the side then took flex pipe bent it way i wanted it glassed it, all there is to do now is finish the bondo work attach it to the vent cover paint it and install it.

Hello Sweetwater,

Could you please let us know how this project ended up ?

Did you finish it and is it working good ?

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually never finished it I got side tracked with the bumper. but Now that you mention it give me a few days and ill finish it and post it, all she needs is finish sanding and paint!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts