RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my 27 gallon tank only show a range of 355 miles when I fill up the tank? I just filled up the tank with 19 gallons with 112 miles left on the range. 19 gallons over 243 miles makes no sense. Either does a 355 range with a full 27 gallon tank. Anyone else have this issue or a possible explanation?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Perfectly normal. The DTE is only an estimate based on the average MPG that you have.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Yup totally normal. During the school year when my commute is 99% local roads doing 45mph my range is always in the mid 300's.

During the summer I have a similar commute but much less stop and go traffic. And I also have a 2 hour commute on Friday's and Mondays where I can average over 30mph. My range has gotten to around 425 miles.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,459 Posts
I have yet to hear of anyone filling near 27 gallons in an RRS. I think the max I've filled is 24.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Funny after I wrote my post I double checked the website for gallon capacity. I have driven down to less than 25 miles range and I didn't get past 24. I do not even remember getting past 22gal

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am new to range rover but from my previous experiences with other cars, they have a reserve that is included in the specification of the capacity but is not included in the range. This is usually a protection against running out of gas. You think you have less gas than you really have. Don't quote me on this and blame me if you dare to drive with such little expected range. it is a hypothesis based on what i have seen with other car manufacturers.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
OH Dear lourde.... not the fuel tank capacity diatribe again.

For each model year, 17 and 18, the petrol engine fuel capacity... "usable" is the same on the 405 as the 494 because they were the same basic platfrom. 2017 it was 27.7 US gallons. 2018 it was 27.3 US gallons. For the 2019 model the year the 494 has 27.5 and the 405 in down to 22.7. I'm not at all sure what changed between platforms for 2019, but that is quite a change for the 405"SWB"

Obviously the PHEV has a much smaller capacity due to battery space at 23.8 gallons.

If you want to expand on fuel tank capacities..."usable"... please see the thread from last March over in the 405 section on the 17s and grew to include the 18s.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24-range-rover-mark-iv-l405/273169-fuel-tank-capacity.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from a weekend trip where we put a little over 400 mostly highway miles. Yep, true, the range must adjust to your type of driving. After filling and getting only a 355 mile range a few days ago which prompted my thread, we actually drove 413 miles on the tank with 42 miles left on range. Just filled up again and the range now showed 435 miles. Again, we drove 413 miles and it filled with 21.1 gallons so there must be a reserve of 3-4 gallons even if I ran the range down to zero.....interesting, and thanks all for feedback.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
"usable" maximum gallons....8-|= folks seem to forget that odd "U" word in the owners manual about capacities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts