RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as most of you probably do, i read alot of car mags. i NEVER see the range rover reviewed either alone or with other suvs as a comparison. in my mind i'm thinking, "that's because it's in a class of it's own", which in many ways it is. but still. i guess the closest car out there to it would be the g-500 which i also rarely see in mags. what's up with that? is the range rover not an "suv"?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Because they're marketing oriented: off-road mags and car mags play with what they're given and write for those who buy ad space in their mags. I assume LRNA doesn't buy enough space in the mags you read or give the editors free $100k RR's to tool around in. I assume the average RR buyer doesn't make the decision to buy based on those mags.

The German 4WD mag 4WheelFun (silly name, I know, but it's for Germans...) does what they call a supertest. Every 4wd they test is also evaluated in a standardized off-road setting. The RR has always been the benchmark...

Bottom of the page (where it says 717 points):
http://www.4wheelfun.de/supertest/land- ... 25858.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Then again, whats the point of reviewing always the same cars??

There's only one real rival to RR's, it's the G series Merc, not GL, just plain G-series.

That review and comparison has already been made somewhere in time, so whats the point of repeating it....?? :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VMPP said:
Then again, whats the point of reviewing always the same cars??

There's only one real rival to RR's, it's the G series Merc, not GL, just plain G-series.

That review and comparison has already been made somewhere in time, so whats the point of repeating it....?? :D
i mentioned that in the original post... :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
VMPP said:
I think I must disagree with you there.

In my humble opinion the reason that the RR is not in SUV comparatives is that there is nothing comparable with it.

The Mercedes G is a 40 year-old design originally intended for military use. While it certainly has qualities, sturdiness being the main one, its handling is terrible and no matter what luxuries they build into it it just doesn't compare with the RRIII which to this day remains state of the art. If you want a rock-solid truck that looks fabulous, buy a Mercedes G. On the other hand if you want the best SUV money can buy, you cannot really escape the RR.

I also own a Saab 97x and while it is fun to drive I do realize every time that I can feel that it cost one third of the price of a RR.

The only thing that I can criticize in my HSE is the MKIII navigation which is ridiculous for a luxury car built in 2004. I've ordered a MKIV computer so that problem should be resolved next week.

I'm seriously thinking of selling all my other cars and buying a second RR...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I actually see the Range Rover compared with the Land Cruiser/Lx470, or lx570 for the new model.
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/ult ... index.html
That is a nice read compared with all the Major offroad luxury SUvs out there. H1, H2, titan, G wagon , Wrangler Jeep,Lexus GX. The Range Rover comes in at number one, but doesn't really excell is anything, was the best all rounder.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I traded in a G55 on my 09 HSE and they are very different vehicles. The RR is much more comfortable,. The G rides very rough and is noisy. The RR has a lot more features and has a much more comfortable back seat. The G is charming though. It feels like a Defender with a bunch of options and a finished out interior. It does have 3 lockers which is nice off road and I like the styling of the G but it is really more of a toy for someone with a couple of cars rather than a multifunctional car like the RR.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
"...the winner of the first annual Ultimate 4x4 Challenge goes to the Range Rover in first... And though each vehicle possessed its own strengths, there is only one Truck Trend winner, and we crown the mighty Range Rover king of all 4x4s for 2004." Wow! This hasn't changed much, even 5 years later!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts