RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'93 LWB, my tach needle has been bouncing and intermittent for the past couple of years, and this week it died completely. The alternator is obviously charging, so where would I start looking to troubleshoot this? Do the tach units themselves fail or is it the signal it's getting?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Have you checked continuity of the tach line from the alternator? Have you checked the power feed to the tach from the ignition switch?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take a look at both of those, thanks. Tach sprang to life for about 10 miles today, then died again.

Can anything in he tach wiring have an effect on ignition? Wondering I my tach troubles can contribute to my poor-running troubles

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had the exact same issue on my 95. Turned out to be the PO had routed the belt wrong so that it was tensioned but did not contact enough of the alternator pulley causing it to slip. It still spun fast enough to provide good charging but there was very intermittent/ no tach function. I replaced the belt and alternator with no change before realizing the problem and after routing the belt correctly have a perfect tach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts