Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok thoughts please!

i beginning to suspect I've a lemon! i bought a 2014 (63 plate for the brits) Range Rover Vogue about 8 months ago. it had about 25K miles when i bought it and its now got 32K so I'm not a heavy driver.

about 2 months after buying it - i started getting engine warning lights and it going in to limp mode - it seemed randomly at the time. after about the third time - the first couple restarting the car seemed to clear it i got hold of LR assist who coded it and booked me in with a LR dealer who diagnosed a o2 sensor problem. they said they replaced it and to be fair it seemed to sort it for a while.

about 2 months ago - i posted on here an issue where on a couple of occasions it seemed to change gear funny - i was accelerating away and instead of revs going up it appears to changed down a gear. loose power then suddenly it massively reved and all the power came back. now it did that a couple of times - no engine lights or warnings - then seemed to stop! i wondered if it was to do with standing in the cold (though it wasn't that cold)

the last 2 days I've started having problems again. 2 days ago turning right at a roundabout - i got a red engine warning light saying engine system fault. i managed to get home and as it was late i didnt do anything - this morning i drove to the station and I've spent the day in london - getting back this evening - driving the car home - turning right at another roundabout it did the same - lost power - red engine system fault and into limp mode. Got it home - this time as I'm back I've rung LRA and they are sending someone tomorrow. I've not doubt they wont be able to fix it and it will be booked in again at a LR dealer. now... my neighbour has connected his code master to it (not sure how good a model it is) but it is saying P0088 fault?

Is this the o2 sensor again? do they go that often? its barely been a few months since they allegedly fixed it. though to be fair it ran fine for a while. the odd thing is.. .looking back its always turning right and accelerating that does it- even the original o2 sensor warnings - pretty much all appear to happen either on right hand turns or at roundabouts.

is this a fuel pump? or supply problem? googling that code appears to talk about fuel lines?? how is the turning the wheel cutting fuel to the engine????

am i just being mad - is it just unlucky the fuel sensor has gone again?? or something worse??

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
470 Posts
I wonder if it is time for a software update with some of these gremlins showing up....?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree - and i suspect LRA will today suggest it goes to the garage. the problem is last time they have it for about 5 days - I'm not convinced they worked on it that long.. and said it was fine after the sensor change.... LRA always ask me which garage to take it to - do any of the UK readers know of which garages would be better around me - I'm in Crewe. there are several options.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
470 Posts
The dealer would have to check the on board computer to see if there were updates....it's getting tougher to figure out anything on vehicles with all of the computer integration...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the land rover assist guy turned up - very nice very polite - plugged his computer in and said it says P0088 fault. he spend some time looking in engine (wife's comment - i wasn't onsite) then decided it needed a dealer. I'm dropping it off tomorrow. spoke to the dealer.. their normal waiting time is 2 weeks - they say they prioritise faults - i suspect all their engineers will be fully booked tomorrow and it wont get looked at till monday at the earliest. though I'm hopeful. cant find much about P0088 on the net - there is a forum where loads of that make have this issue and its some sensor - though some say its a fuel pump. well as long as they fix it - bit annoying I'm having so many sensor issues at such lowish mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After this many months it is time to do a warranty visit....
being a nube - can i ask what you mean by this? can you actually ask for them to give the car a good going over before the warranty runs out? i once owned a new BMW for a while and the dealer there was amazing -every time it went in for a service they did all sorts of stuff on it - they even changed rubber seals that didnt look that worn to me - never cost me a penny - i presumed they were charging it to BMW. since then I've owned 2 LR3s and never really felt the dealer did anything other than the bare minimum - hence why I'm taking it to a different dealer - not being a car expert - i wondered if i could book it in for a good checkup b4 the approved used warranty ran out. my worry tomorrow is the dealer is so busy they will fix the immediate problem and not look for anything else... to be fair not much else is wrong - one of the cigar lighters appears not to be working - i presume thats a fuse - the tailgate sometimes doesnt shut properly you have to slam it - is that a sensor??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok - an update.. sorry for delay but had a mad week at work - including the IT attack. I work in the NHS..

anyway.. LRassist came out - confirmed the P088 code - didnt know what to do - suggested a dealer.
went to dealer. left car with them.
they range me back about 5 hours later - saying - they couldn't find anything wrong - they'd updated the software and had taken it for a drive and it was fine... at this point i was a bit dubious as all id read was this could be an odd problem and it didnt show up all the time it was quite intermittent... however. i went and got the car.
there was no doubt it felt different. shall i say it was more aggressive? I'm not sure if they had updated the software or taken off the per driver learning. anyway - it seemed for a few days to change gears with a slam. slowing down often caused the slam too. felt very unrefined and personally still not happy - however it seemed to calm down a bit and by end of week was ok is - but still odd when accelerating away from roundabouts.
anyway - id been googling more - while the computers at work worked and found something called the pregnant pause which used to affect ?still doest LR3s?? ?4s??? It seems remarkably like the problem they describe.. however.. they mainly say a software patch solves it..

anyway back to today - on way to work this am - still perhaps better than before the bug a week ago but not the experience I'm expecting from a 2014 range rover - interestingly the hire car when it was in was a new range rover sport and that drove fine. I've also recently had the pleasure of driving a discovery sport - a jaguar f pace and a range rover evouque - none of which had any problems and i don't see its me - I'm quite familiar with LR cars...
on the way home- another roundabout (there are lots near me!) yes it did it again- red triangle - engine systems fault limp mode. WTF! I'm now at home waiting for LRAssist again...

who do i complain to? each time i take it to a garage they seem to do the bare minimum - plug it in - do something - send me on my way - i just want someone to go over it with a fine tooth comb - you hear of people needing new engines - new gearboxes - having fuel problems - are they even testing for that - at the last visit they spent more time telling me my front pad was 50% worn than telling me what the problem was

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,052 Posts
I would be looking at the battery cables and how they are routed it sounds like you might have a power supply issue. verify that attachment bolts are all tight for the terminals and the battery hold downs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.