RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific part that is responsible?

·
Registered
90 Posts
GM specs the gearbox for 4000 lbs GVW. teh fact that a RR is closer to 5000 lbs (+20% overweight) doesn't exactly seem a good idea to me.
To add insult to injury, LR states the box is 'sealed for life'. The oil and filters are never changed as part of the service schedule.
Not too long ago, manufacturers prescribed oil and filter changes on auto boxes around 50-70 K miles. I'm suspecting not changing the oil does not add to the longevity of the trans. :naughty:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
I haven't heard of particular problems with solenoids, although the 5L40-E does have individual fluid filter screens on some solenoids which can become blocked I believe.

Phil

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RRPhil said:
I haven't heard of particular problems with solenoids, although the 5L40-E does have individual fluid filter screens on some solenoids which can become blocked I believe.

Phil
I think this is the no reverse cause.
Will this have affect on drive?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are there any cooler radiator issues?
I know many VW cars experience this.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
umitbat said:
I think this is the no reverse cause.
Will this have affect on drive?
I’m afraid I can’t tell from the very limited information I have if the three shift solenoids or the main pressure control solenoid have built in filter screens. I only know for sure that the torque converter LUC one does. As you say, the breaking up of this filter can give rise to a loss of drive in reverse in the 5L40-E. There are certainly two further small screen assemblies installed in the valve block itself.

umitbat said:
Are there any cooler radiator issues?
I know many VW cars experience this.
On '02-'05 L322s the 3.0 diesel & 4.4 V8 radiators have different part numbers and the transmission fluid coolers are quite different for each. For example, the thermostatic control of water flow through the fluid cooler is internal on the diesel cooler but external of the petrol-engined one. However, the clogging up of the radiator through sediment & corrosion and the subsequent starvation of water flow to the fluid cooler you would imagine would be a similar problem on both models. Having said that, I can’t recall anyone having raised it (i.e. fluid temperature warning) as a problem for the diesel on this forum – though countless people have mentioned it for the BMW 4.4 V8 version.

Phil

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts