RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a dependability rating like Jaguar?

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/de ... s-by-brand

It's owned by the same company, Tata. In my opinion Ford really gets the credit for cleaning up Jag. What's the deal with Land Rover? Why couldn't they at least improve one star? Do they just not care because people buy them anyway? If they just improved their reliability so that they scored average I'm confident they'd sell so many more trucks. I'm starting to think it's the assembly line in Solihull. I remember reading an article that said Ford couldn't get the unions to agree to quit eating snacks while working the assembly line.

I'm always trolling the RRS forums b/c I'm planning on getting one at some point. It blows my mind how people are shelling out $80k for an RRS and a few miles later their diff blows, or they have wind noise, or a window doesn't work, or the nav resets, yada, yada, yada..... Anyway, I miss my P38 even though I was scared it wouldn't work every time I climbed behind the wheel. I'm sure I'm going to buy an RRS despite the problems, and then complain every time it breaks. There's tons of other cars that are better built, but yet somehow I come back to Land Rover. I'm sick. I recognize that. Ok, I'm done ranting.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Bear in mind that Land Rover had three entirely different owners during the twenty years that Ford owned Jaguar.

Bear in mind that JDP considers mainly how cars measure up against owners expectations, some cars have lost significant marks for the heated window switch in the "wrong" place.
From JDP's website, "High ratings for a particular product/service/company do not necessarily mean that every customer will have a positive experience. It simply indicates that, on average, consumer perceptions of the product/service/company indicate that it stands out when compared with competitive products/services/companies."

Bear in mind that a certain far eastern company, currently recalling the some vehicles with lethal carpets, scores very well on that survey...

Justin_Sherfy said:
I'm starting to think it's the assembly line in Solihull. I remember reading an article that said Ford couldn't get the unions to agree to quit eating snacks while working the assembly line.
I'll call bullshit on that one.
UK Health and Safety legislation would prevent snacking at pretty much every point on that production line.
Also visitors taking the factory tour (who should not be getting to touch the machinery or vehicles according to H&S) are required to remove all jewelry and watches.

Justin_Sherfy said:
Anyway, I miss my P38 even though I was scared it wouldn't work every time I climbed behind the wheel.
Reading between the lines on that one tells me it did work everytime you climbed behind the wheel?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I dont really go by ANY of the "rating" deals myself. Most are very biased for whatever reasons.
Same as the supposed safety ratings...I would much rather be in our 1998 Rangey than any **** Prius etc.

Martin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim,

I went back to try to find the article. I think it was one of my LRO or LRM issues. I know what I read.

There were several times something on my P38 broke. The EAS was the worst because you're driving home on at 20 mph or less. Though, it never left me stranded. It just seemed like for every problem I fixed another two would come up.

I still say that they need reliability. Despite our mutual affinity for all things Range Rover the forums support what reliability studies show. The trucks have many issues.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Car forum posts don't prove any a thing about reliability.
People with problems look to forums for help, for every forum posting about a break down there's 10 owners driving around with a smile on their face.
If you don't believe me go and look for problems on Toyota/Audi/Subaru/any other reliable marque forums.
Do let us know when you find that article.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I very rarely read on ANY forums I go on, that everything is great in the world of Range Rovers, Jeeps, Lexus, or whatever. We all go on forums mainly to find cures for problems or post any mods we did, not to say everything is peachy.
I can guarantee that I have had very little problems out of our P38. In fact I regularly tell folks it has been extremely reliable. 196k miles and the heads have never been off, original injectors, alternator, and so on. I have replaced the 4 airbags, rebuilt the valve block, replaced water pump, and regular service. Not bad for over 50k miles in a luxury SUV IMHO.
Just like you never read too much good news in newspapers huh?
Martin

·
Registered
269 Posts
I joined this forum not too long after I got my RR. I remember opening the P38 catagory and entering a mild state of panic and shock after seeing all the topics about various things failing.

the very heavy majority of the time people start threads on this forum (and i'm going to assume other car forums too) is because they have a problem, so what you end up with is a big long list of problems that look a bit daunting.

People rarely join up to a forum and start posting to tell the world that everything is fine and they don't need any help.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
The other thing to consider is the amount of reposts instead of searching, and that is for sure the same on every forum :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts