RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought Magnecor leads were guaranteed for life yet mine are glowing and flashing in the dark - is this usual?

RR 4.0SE Mark Adams Chip

·
Registered
922 Posts
It pays to sparingly coat the spark plug insulator with dielectric grease (Permetex or similar) prior to pushing on the covers. Assists with ensuring caps are pushed fully home and minimises loss of voltage caused by HT tracking i.e the sparking you can see in the dark...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leads are glowing in time with the firing and they are sparking around the rubbers. The vehicle will not tickover in drive following a head gasket job by a grarage and they have just said the EMS has a fault although it didn't prior to the work they did and have washed their hands of the problem.

The Histroy Man

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Which end of the leads are sparking? The spark plug end or the coil pack end?

Also, which year is your car? Is it GEMS or Thor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sparking appears toward the coil end and the glowing runs down the cables.

The vehicle is a 4.0 Gems Auto with a newish engine I had rebuild using top hat liners.

PS Do you have the gear to reset the ECU in Wellington as I am only 15 mile away? I may need some enthuiast mechanic to help get my engine to tickover again as it will not on petrol or gas after the head gaskets were replaced and I am fed up with left foot braking to keep the revs up.

The History Man

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bet they slapped in the wrong spark plugs which are now showing high resistence.... oem leads are they way to go

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
TheHistoryMan said:
The sparking appears toward the coil end and the glowing runs down the cables.

The vehicle is a 4.0 Gems Auto with a newish engine I had rebuild using top hat liners.

PS Do you have the gear to reset the ECU in Wellington as I am only 15 mile away? I may need some enthuiast mechanic to help get my engine to tickover again as it will not on petrol or gas after the head gaskets were replaced and I am fed up with left foot braking to keep the revs up.

The History Man
Yes, I've got T4 for the p38. Give me a call.

Viper may be right. Electrickery takes the path of least resistance, and that should be via the leads to the plugs. In fact, I've got a Discovery 2 on one of the ramps with a very similar problem, but I think the coil packs are faulty. I've scoped the HT leads and I'm not getting anything on 3 and 4, which just happen to be adjacent to each other on the coil pack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts