RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was a rhetorical question by the way. I know what happened, after 3800 miles and six months my front and rear Calipers are now the grey bare casting finish because all the black paint came off.

‘Has anyone else got this problem?

·
Registered
351 Posts
That was a rhetorical question by the way. I know what happened, after 3800 miles and six months my front and rear Calipers are now the grey bare casting finish because all the black paint came off.

‘Has anyone else got this problem?
I've seen this happen on previous generation RR as well.

Do you by chance use acid or any strong wheel cleaner as that may speed up the process. But fact is, the black calipers were not actually painted black the same way the red calipers found on a Sport Autobiography or any other vehicle with actual painted calipers comes. RR needs to paint, and clearcoat the caliper and this would never happen!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a good point but no wheel cleaner has ever been used, since LR changed the type of brake pads on the 18’s there is almost zero brake dust, which is really nice .

sincei had the same problem on the F-Type which had new Rotors installed at the Dealer, and they turned rusty again, I’m thinking of just having the Rotors painted somewhere else, at least then I can pick a color. I’m trying to think what would match Corris Grey without looking too aftermarket. Red, silver or black would be the safest I guess, but any suggestions would be welcome

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
That’s a good point but no wheel cleaner has ever been used, since LR changed the type of brake pads on the 18’s there is almost zero brake dust, which is really nice .

sincei had the same problem on the F-Type which had new Rotors installed at the Dealer, and they turned rusty again, I’m thinking of just having the Rotors painted somewhere else, at least then I can pick a color. I’m trying to think what would match Corris Grey without looking too aftermarket. Red, silver or black would be the safest I guess, but any suggestions would be welcome
Do you happen to have any photos of the issue showing the deterioration?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10B7EB10-F510-4B5C-8583-89E5420EADD3.jpg

Not a good pic, will take a better one later.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have seen others with this issue. I believe that the brakes are painted as opposed to powder coated. Paint cannot handle paint nearly as well as powder coating.

You could have the calipers powder coated, but since the finish is baked on, the caliper must be completely disassembled (including all seals and o-rings.

I’d ask the dealer and see if they will cover having them powder coated as a goodwill repair.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats bleaching of the anodized finish (the black and grey calipers are not painted nor powder coated). How/where do you have the car cleaned?
5235FA0A-783B-44BE-9794-7CEDE8E7EC55.jpg

Here’s what the Calipers looked like before what ever they were finished with came off. I have it hand washed weekly, and detailed, including a polymer wax, every couple of months. No wheel cleaner is ever used.

I will I’ll go to the Dealer next week and see what they say, although I think I’m going to end up having all four Calipers re-finished.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
Here’s what the Calipers looked like before what ever they were finished with came off. I have it hand washed weekly, and detailed, including a polymer wax, every couple of months. No wheel cleaner is ever used.

I will I’ll go to the Dealer next week and see what they say, although I think I’m going to end up having all four Calipers re-finished.
Curious what the dealer said with the discoloration? Love your wheels btw!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Then take off your calipers and refinish them.
Yep exactly, I would do it if I had those nice big calipers for sure! Unfortunately the Td6 has some wimpy calipers.

My 2006 RRS SC had nice brembo black calipers.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Dealer asked me to take it in and they will have the Calipers re-painted any color, I haven’t had time to take it in, but I will. Maybe I will have them done in red or copper. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Dealer asked me to take it in and they will have the Calipers re-painted any color, I haven’t had time to take it in, but I will. Maybe I will have them done in red or copper. Any suggestions?
I'm not a big fan of red, so I would go Copper/Gold, Black, or Silver. I think the copper/gold color would look sick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts