Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, thanks so much for the help on the emmissions question I had. So why am I looking for and buying a $500 RRC?
For years my brothers and I have run the "24 Hours of LeMons" series:
https://www.24hoursoflemons.com
basically endurance racing for junk cars, with all sorts of sillyness involved. But having 150 cars on a road track, with every kind of car imaginable, and every level of drivers - it's terrifying - and keeps you wanting more!

So this year, to kick off their new season at Brber Motor sports - they desided to run a 4 day road rally from Moscow to Paris (Moscow Pennsylvania to Paris Tenn.)

And true to spirit, they award points for all sorts of stuff - including 150 extra points for driving a british vehicle (minus 100 for a japanese vehicle) https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/rally

so we are going for the hooptie points - plus it's the end of January, going through Buffalo NY - we figured 4WD is the way to go!

so here we are. now I have 3 very pressing issues to deal with, so I will put them each in their own post: but first,
1. we need to get it running - starts cold, dies as it heats up
2. Heater core needs replacing - I aint driving through Buffalo in January with out heat blasting away
3. Rear Diff is locked

So those are our first 3 repairs! and I will need your expert advise, (and knowledge) to get it done.

BTW - The particular vehicle we bought (In Michigan) it is a carbon copy of the vehicle we bought for my wife in 1993 - in Utah - and this particular vehicle, new. came from the same dealer in Utah, so it's possible, 20 years later, I'm back in the same vehicle! (I have to check vins and figure it out!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts
issue number 1 possible lack of electricity due to internal short of components I/E coil and or ignition amplifier module.
second issue, well you know what it is....
3rd issue needs to be investigated as it is highly unlikely of a "locked" factory diff. it will grenade to pieces and break axles before it locks.. issue may be further up the drivetrain such as viscous coupler or failed t case. retrofit to that of a disco 1 (lt 230)
worst case seized rear calipers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3rd issue needs to be investigated as it is highly unlikely of a "locked" factory diff. it will grenade to pieces and break axles before it locks.. issue may be further up the drivetrain such as viscous coupler or failed t case. retrofit to that of a disco 1 (lt 230)
worst case seized rear calipers.
I think I gave a poor discription of the issue. Essentially the rear differential is permanently engaged. You can drive it, but it is tough on tires and other components if it is on dry pavement

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds cool but unfortunately for the Lemons rally rules state "The vehicle's original, manufacturer-stated curb weight may not exceed 4200 pounds." RRC curb weight is 4433.50 lbs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats for the road racing, not the rally. and that weight limit is more of a suggestion. We,ve had to race against a full blown cadillac Limo, as well as an old ambuillance. we run a Toyota Supra in the races

1 - 8 of 8 Posts