RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoooom Whoooom noise heard from wheels at low speeds 0-40mph

Hello all,

I hope every ones doing alright today, since I bought the car for two years now I have noticed a Whoooom Whoooom Whoooom rotational noise more like a wind noise or something comming from the wheels at low speeds like 0--40 mph, when I exceed this speed limit it all goes away , what might cause such a noise??( Whoooom Whoooom was the best to describe this noise sorry `)!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
186 Posts
Re: Whoooom Whoooom noise heard from wheels at low speeds 0-40mph

Are you sure it's coming from the wheels? I have the same vehicle as you and I hear a 'whoosh' or 'weining' at lower speeds that I attribute to either the power steering pump or my DR pump that is leaking and perhaps failing. Also don't forget the supercharger forces air and certainly makes noise. I don't think bearings or the like would make the noise you describe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

No it's definitely comming from the wheels it is related to the speed of rotation of the wheels, once I speed up it all goes away. It's more like a wind solid noise no whining at all.

·
Registered
186 Posts

My guess then would be tires. Are they cupped or otherwise worn? Obviously make sure the pressure is correct. I would think if it were wheel bearings it would create a different noise. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts

My guess then would be tires. Are they cupped or otherwise worn? Obviously make sure the pressure is correct. I would think if it were wheel bearings it would create a different noise. Perhaps someone else will chime in.
+1. I would check tires for tread depth and even wear, from inside to out. Sounds like the tires are cupped to me. To the OP, do you notice and slight vibrations in the steering wheel or seats?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hey , yes I do feel vibration in the drivers seat not in the steering wheel, usually under acceleration! The thing is my rear tires look good it's just my front ones are worn on the inside but still no vibration from steering wheel , I checked my rear tires again today and the middle part is kinda cuncaved inwards , do you think that's what's causing the problem?

·
Registered
186 Posts

If your fronts are worn like that I believe you need an alignment. The rears sound like incorrect inflation and you get uneven wearing. Pics would help of all tires but sounds like you'll need the whole front end checked- ball joints/tie rods and the like. No use getting it aligned and new tires only to have faulty joints. After you get cleared on that do the alignment and see where you stand. If the tires are really that messed up you will need to replace them to remedy to problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Maybe the rear differential? The tires on my 08 RRS S/C are almost brand new and I hear that same sort of sound you are describing. However, I have also noticed that it seems to be coming from the back of the vehicle rather than the front.

I'm still trying to discover the culprit...if/when I do, I will report back.

LAW

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts

Now that you have mentioned it, I had the same "rubbing" sound on my 08 LR3: it was the rear diff and was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It seems like some of you guys have Thought of the noise in a different way, it is not a rubbing sounds more like a wind sound as the tires rotate, armogida I think has got it right, I deflated my tires due to the bad roads in my area and over the years it has caused uneven wear , I tried inflating them again and the noise has slightly reduced but it still there, the cause for my front tires to wear is cause I have lowering links installed, I recently had my lower controls arm replaced so its not from that, I will have to realign my tires and have them all changed. The noise goes away after 40 mph, the best I could describe the noise is like a giant turbine blade spinning causing a wind noise with each rotation.

·
Registered
186 Posts

It seems like some of you guys have Thought of the noise in a different way, it is not a rubbing sounds more like a wind sound as the tires rotate, armogida I think has got it right, I deflated my tires due to the bad roads in my area and over the years it has caused uneven wear , I tried inflating them again and the noise has slightly reduced but it still there, the cause for my front tires to wear is cause I have lowering links installed, I recently had my lower controls arm replaced so its not from that, I will have to realign my tires and have them all changed. The noise goes away after 40 mph, the best I could describe the noise is like a giant turbine blade spinning causing a wind noise with each rotation.[/QUOT

Ahha. Yes I believe the lowering links would call for a realignment if you kept them on for long periods. Running hem with stock settings will surely wear your tires as described.

·
Registered
11 Posts

That is exactly what I have on mine too!! Mine is 2010 RR SC. I just purchased it used from a dealer out of my state, did not notice it while I test drove it. Now I am 4 hours away from them to get it fixed!!!!

Have you got a solution yet? will this kind of problem usually covered under the factory warrenty? I am trying to see if I can get it fixed locally without getting charged.

Thanks guys!

Hello all,

I hope every ones doing alright today, since I bought the car for two years now I have noticed a Whoooom Whoooom Whoooom rotational noise more like a wind noise or something comming from the wheels at low speeds like 0--40 mph, when I exceed this speed limit it all goes away , what might cause such a noise??( Whoooom Whoooom was the best to describe this noise sorry `)!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have no found the solution yet , I have been very busy, I first thought it would be the tires but after multiple YouTube videos trying to replicate the sound I'm leaning towards a wheel bearing, the issue is that it is very hard to detect which ones gone bad so I'm still looking into it! Yes it should be covered under warranty!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

No problem it's an easy task to tackle , the hard part is finding which wheel bearing is bad, keep us posted on what you do!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey guys, I have this exact problem (its extremely loud at low speeds but only occasionally does it). I watched the video and the sound is different, its actually a loud screeching but is rotational. I have a 2012 RRS GT and in 6 months its been in the shop 6 times with them replacing the brakes, roters, calipers, wheel bearings and now the EPB mechanism as they thought it was not fully releasing. With it being so hard to get it to do it, they have to keep my car for days and it seems like every time I get it back, it starts screaming at me on the way home. I am curious if this is a similar situation or if I am dealing with something completely different. Land Rover has not had a solution and they just keep throwing fixes at it with no results...

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts

I think your problem is different: sounds more like a bad EPB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoooom Whoooom noise heard from wheels at low speeds 0-40mph

Hello all,

We too have have just started hearing a noise that is coming from the rear driver’s side. It doesn’t sound like the wind but it can get loud. It doesn’t do it all the time but when you start driving and then it will stop the faster you drive. I have also pumped the brakes and it has made it go away. The Land Rover mechanics don’t know what it is either. I’m not sure how to post my video but you would be able to really know what I’m talking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts