RangeRovers.net Forum banner

I have Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my Rover

• Total voters
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
The list of Zeon LTZ sizes on Cooper's web site is different for "Light Trucks" compared to "Sport Utility"... Which makes absolutely no sense, I know. Perhaps they use the Max Load figures to separate trucks vs. SUVs, but my guess is you were probably checking out the Zeon LTZs listed under Light Trucks this morning at 6. ;-) I got the same scare before.
:oops: Thanks - can rest better now and not shop for tires.

275/60R20 is close... but I have a full-size, so there's a little bit more space... but still close.
My bad - did not read your vehicles listed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
glad i reviewed this post again. i have it bookmarked! noticed the option for the 19". would this be a good option since the goodyear mtr is no longer available in the US? I have a complete set of the mtr that i love (minus the road noise). I'm worried about the day i get a flat on the trail and have to replace all four tires.

i've actually been considering switching over an 18" wheel but with this new 19" option from cooper I was thinking to just go with the 19"s. What do you guys think?

also, i was thinking about some of Falken's tire options in 18" has anyone tried these? they seem to be a good tire.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got 255/55/19s on my 06 RRS S/C. I really like them but am glad I kept my street wheels & tires because I can feel a difference I cornering and they are definitely louder at highway speed. Won't be my full time drivers so they should last a long time. I got the first set of 255/55/19s in my city because Cooper had just introduced the size. Mine were first out of the distributor's warehouse.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Decided to go with the Coopers again. I did try the Conti DWS, very quiet ride, all I hear is the engine .. handles well, but I miss the LTZ's. The DWS has a 60 day trial, but I'm going back to my "old love"

DT where I bought the Conti DWS from said they can't find the LTZ's anymore, thought he did not want me to return them. So tried another DT did not tell them about the return, they told me smilair thing, they are starting to discontinue Zeon LTZ's and it's hard to source ..they will get back to me tomorrow if they can find the 285/50/20. Keeping my fingers crossed - I still see it on the Cooper site though

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I think Discount Tire / America's Tire is pushing the new Cooper Discoverer ATP, a tire they are selling on an exclusive basis for the time being, and which looks suspiciously similar to the Zeon LTZ. The ATP doesn't even pop up on Cooper's web site yet, you can only get it from DT. They probably make more money on those since they have no competition currently, so there may be a reason why they are trying to talk you out of the Zeon LTZs... Just my opinion.

Unfortunately, the Discoverer ATP, which looks like a decent tire and a good substitute for the Zeons if it's true they are being discontinued, doesn't appear to come in a size that fits the Sport. My local indy tire shop has had no problem sourcing Zeon LTZs in any size within a day or two, so perhaps DT is the company discontinuing them, not Cooper. ;-)

I may be going in a different direction myself as tires for my new LR4, actually (I am waiting for my 18" Compomotive wheels to arrive from the UK.) I am looking at Cooper Discoverer AT3, Yokohama Geolander AT-S and BFG Rugged Terrain, all of them relatively "mild" A/Ts. I love my Zeon LTZs too, but they honestly get quite noisy after a while, and something more street friendly - but still able to handle the rough stuff on occasion - may suit me better as an everyday type of setup.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Gone thru 2 sets of Zeons, and not ventured off-road yet, but i like how they look and they handle well. You are right, they do get loud, but as I tell my wife, it's like a woman wearing high heels, it hurts but you wear them because it looks nice.

I do think DT is trying to screw me, but, I will tell them that I will have a set of tires dropped shipped and they loose the sale. DT direct has them for sale.

Hope you send us more pics of your "RR4"

·
Registered
4 Posts
just ordered a set of the cooper zeon LTZ's an hour ago at Kauffman tire. guy said they would take about 2 hrs to get in. I hope they dont discontinue them. this thread is making me worry that they wont be the correct tire. sheesh. anyway, will update with pics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just ordered a set of 285/50 Coopers pretty pumped for them to show up, no issues finding them either...

·
Registered
69 Posts
So anybody else on 285/50 Coopers have any issues with a slight steering wheel vibration around 60 mph ? feels like a wheel out of balance, but I've had it checked and re-checked as well as the alignment, they tell me it's perfect.

I can't figure it out, I expect the more aggressive tires to have a different "feel" to them but something is not right, just curious if anyone else has had the same issue ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
So anybody else on 285/50 Coopers have any issues with a slight steering wheel vibration around 60 mph ? feels like a wheel out of balance, but I've had it checked and re-checked as well as the alignment, they tell me it's perfect.

I can't figure it out, I expect the more aggressive tires to have a different "feel" to them but something is not right, just curious if anyone else has had the same issue ?
Swap them from front to back and see if it goes away?

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I've got 285/50/20 Zeons and it's a PITA to balance. DT can't really do it right, at least the one I go to even with the road force.

Supposedly the dealer has a 5-fingered clamp that is needed to mount in on the machine right, also they follow an old technical bulletin for a tire shimmy, that after you balance, they find the high and low spots, mark it, remove and rotate the tire and rebalance. That seems to do the trick for me at least

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got 285/50/20 Zeons and it's a PITA to balance. DT can't really do it right, at least the one I go to even with the road force.

Supposedly the dealer has a 5-fingered clamp that is needed to mount in on the machine right, also they follow an old technical bulletin for a tire shimmy, that after you balance, they find the high and low spots, mark it, remove and rotate the tire and rebalance. That seems to do the trick for me at least
Hmm, any chance anyone has a copy of that TSB ?

101 - 115 of 115 Posts