RangeRovers.net Forum banner

I have Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my Rover

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
TripleE said:
... the tire shop went to do my snow tire changeover ...
Hey do you just swap winter tires on to the same rims each season? I wanted to do that but the tire shop said it messes up the tire beads too much and said I really should buy an extra set of wheels. Have you had any issues with this?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Haha. :lol: Yes, I swap winter/summer tires on the same rims. Have never heard of anything about the beads being stressed or anything - there are countless numbers of people (Rovers or not) who do this. If they were trying to sell you some rims, perhaps that is where they were coming from? :wink: Otherwise, the cost of 2 changeovers every year adds up, so they should like that! With an extra set of wheels, you can swap them on/off yourself! :thumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
TripleE said:
They're on.

Nice. Looks especially good on the black RRS but I am not biased, I swear.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Looking good there EEE - all set to go rock climbing!

Maybe a set of mudflaps now, and perhaps some black smoked side markers too.

UCSB grad?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
RayRay'sRover said:
Nice. Looks especially good on the black RRS but I am not biased, I swear.
Ha, thanks. It's funny though, that angle (even in person) makes the tires look smaller. You can't see the tread blocks near the edge that really stick out and make it a beefy tire; only the view closer to the vantage point of the front or back lets you see them. I'll have to get a pic of that too.

PJPR01 said:
Looking good there EEE - all set to go rock climbing!

Maybe a set of mudflaps now, and perhaps some black smoked side markers too.
Yes indeed. I wanted to go with the plain clear markers since I'd like to do the clear tails at some point. :thumb:

PJPR01 said:
UCSB grad?
JeffW said:
Hey TripleE, I didn't notice that... I'm a UCSB alum as well. I majored in 'double-E' (ha!)
Ah, where to begin. I did go there, albeit I did finish my EE degree at Cal State Northridge. :thumb: My wife, who I met at UCSB did finish there and that is her frame. She typically drives the Sport. :shhh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bumping this to see if things have changed over the past year.

I really want to get a set of coopers and wrap them over some 20's (maybe stormers) because number one I LOVE the look. I don't plan on doing too much off-roading, but would love to be able to do some if I felt the urge (like this past weekend). I have a few questions, that I have seen different answers to in multiple threads, but i'll ask them here as well

1) What's the best size in a 20 to avoid rubbing?

2.) I have 19's now, how would the drive be affected? Noisy? Gas Mileage?

3.)How do the coopers do in the snow compared to a 19" snow tire"? Compared to 19" Pirelli A/S tires?

If you own Coopers or could help me out, id appreciate it. Thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
1) To completely avoid rubbing, 275/45/20s, same size as the stock 20" tires.

2) Gas mileage should be about the same - if you upsize it goes down a bit, but that's also because the electronics in the car that do the mpg calculations are tricked by the larger diameter tires. But if you stick to the same overall circumference as your 19" or 20" stockers (the 275/45/20s are a close match) you should notice little or no hit in mpg. Noise actually decreased for me when I switched from the stock 19" Crapola CrossContacts to my 18" Coopers - but the 18s add quite a bit of rubber between you and the road, so that may be part of the reason. Either way, I think everyone here will agree that the Zeon LTZs are very quiet tires on the road considering their tread, and may actually improve your ride making it cushier. The stock "street" tires have a higher speed rating and should grip the road better when it gets twisty at higher speeds.

3) The Zeon LTZs are not winter / snow rated tires. They will do OK on the snow (not much experience here I'm afraid...), but a dedicated snow tire will always outperform all-terrain or all-season tires on snow and ice.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
1) What's the best size in a 20 to avoid rubbing? NOt sure of the best size, but I run on 285/50/20 LTZ's with no issues of rubbing. Looks more aggressive too.

2.) I have 19's now, how would the drive be affected? Noisy? Gas Mileage? Seems noiser than the Nokians I had on. Drive's fine, handles a little less - not a sports car regarless

3.)How do the coopers do in the snow compared to a 19" snow tire"? Compared to 19" Pirelli A/S tires? With about 6" of snow in Dallas last year - handled fine.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
DonkeyHSE said:
3.)How do the coopers do in the snow compared to a 19" snow tire"? Compared to 19" Pirelli A/S tires?
On the Sport I've used (have) Pirelli snows (19"), summer Contis (19"), and LTZs (18").

On road with light snow, the LTZ is in the middle of the summer Conti and the Pirellis snows (as expected). But the gap is so large; snows are really great on the Sport and really surprise me sometimes at how hard they bite.

Off road with heavy snow, 6"-10"; I think the LTZs are a bit too wide and tend to float over the snow more than dig in, but you can get by.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Umbertob, they are surprisingly quiet on the tarmac for a fairly aggressive tread.
They are no mud tyre as you can see by the picture but nothing a little extra right boot won't fix.!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
scomac said:
I agree with Umbertob, they are surprisingly quiet on the tarmac for a fairly aggressive tread.
They are no mud tyre as you can see by the picture but nothing a little extra right boot won't fix.!
As I mountain biker, I have become a connoisseur of mud.

I have found there are three types of mud in my neck of the woods: heavy clay mud which resembles dogsh*t, which no tire I've ever owned sheds well; the loamy compressible stuff, think of compost or a snowball made with dry snow; and a sandy mud which you sink into but does not stick to the tire.

That Australian sh*t looks like it leans to the 1st type.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
This is from a trip we went on last winter in nearby Quatal Canyon near Ojay, CA. My Sport and the two LR3s are on Coopers - or perhaps some of those were Nitto Terra Grapplers, who knows - the Disco in front on MTs. Guess which guy wasn't slipping and sliding all over the place that day. :doh: Fortunately for us mud like that (dogsh*t from a dog with a daily diet of Alpo and a tub of Crisco!) is not very common - not much rain here. It's not a fun experience when mud gets that sticky on a steep trail down a canyon wall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
scomac said:
As I mountain biker, I have become a connoisseur of mud.

I have found there are three types of mud in my neck of the woods: heavy clay mud which resembles dogsh*t, which no tire I've ever owned sheds well; the loamy compressible stuff, think of compost or a snowball made with dry snow; and a sandy mud which you sink into but does not stick to the tire.

That Australian sh*t looks like it leans to the 1st type.
Yeah your spot on goose, our mud here sticks like sh*t to a blanket !

Actually the mud here in W.A has been hard to find this year, due to the second driest winter on record.

Great mountain bike riding here too apparently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Saw this thread and figured to put a pic of my 2010 Range with 275/45-20 Cooper Zeon LTZ on oem wheels.

DSC01085.jpg

Ill get some better pics, my cameras old :-x

·
Registered
167 Posts
My first attempt at a 2nd set of wheels failed (I picked up some old 18" off a 99 Disco).
My second attempt is a set of 19". I was flip flopping between a M/T or an A/T. I'm leaning more towards A/T now, mainly because in Dallas we tend to have to drive several hours to get to a nice offroading place, and I don't think I could handle 11 hours on M/T. I've always had good luck with BFG A/T KOs, but after reading the thread the Zeon LTZs might be the winner.

I am wondering what the best size would be for 19"s?

Oh, and if anyone needs a set of 18" Hurricane cerca 1999, let me know :)

Thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Strike two, gkwait... There are no 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ, or BFG anything (unless you know something I don't), only 18s and 20s. In fact, there is very little available in 19" diameter from any tire manufacturer, period. The 19" GY MT/Rs were discontinued in North America last year, so even those would be tough and expensive to source from Europe, where they are still manufactured. Only decent 19" All-Terrain tire you will find on this side of the pond is the 255/55/19 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, a good - if somewhat pricey - choice, with a tread definitely more road-biased than other ATs out there. That may be a plus for you, with 11 hours of road ahead before you hit the dirt. AFAIK that's about it, how's that for choices? :wink:

61 - 80 of 115 Posts
About this Discussion
114 Replies
29 Participants
ata9977
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing