I have Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my Rover

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
i bought a set of LTZs last december . so add another 4 tires to that list! :p
i hope they stay on the market though.
perhaps we should all do a group buy and stock up on an extra set.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
We may need to change this poll to "how many LTZ tires did you buy?"... because all this math is makin' my freakin' head explode. (Umberto, I really need a head exploding smilie to select from here---I don't see one).

Not to be the the bearer of bad tidings but our tires may be a minor issue...

MUMBAI, Feb 16, 2009 (Hindustan Times - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- Ratan Naval Tata's cup of woes are overflowing. Even as the 71-year-old chairman of the Tata group battles to keep the operations of its troubled acquired companies -- UK-based steel maker Corus and premium car brands Jaguar-Land Rover (JLR), he had to suffer an embarrassment of sorts when Tata Motors admitted to problems in making payments to suppliers.

More financial stress possibly awaits the Tata group's two of the flagships -- Tata Motors and Tata Steel -- as falling volumes as well as prices could shrink cash accruals over the short to medium term, further straining the financials of the two companies.

Both the companies are highly debt-heavy, particularly after the $13.7 billion acquisition of Corus and the $2.3 billion acquisition of JLR through raising of debt from banks.

In an unprecedent act, Tata Motors called upon all to "rally around in this time of crisis" after admitting to a liquidity crisis -- a sea change from a cash chest of Rs 2,400 crore less than a year ago.

Credit downgrades could make make loans costlier to service and more difficult to get.

CRISIL, the Indian subsidiary of Standard & Poor's, has downgraded Tata Motors to "A" from "AA", which means the risk weight for the loans availed by the truck and car maker has doubled to 100 per cent. That puts pressure on bankers in lending to the firm.

"Failure to repay on the due date is considered as a default by rating agencies, even if there is a delay of just one day. A downgrade means banks have to provide for more capital for the same amount of loan," said DR Dogra, deputy managing director of Credit Analysis & Research Ltd, a rating agency majority owned by IDBI Bank.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When did BFG come out with AT KO's in 265/65/18? And I even see on their list some 285/65-R18, pretty close to the NTG's I use. I don't think I had those BFG choices when I needed offroad tires.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Jeffrey said:
When did BFG come out with AT KO's in 265/65/18? And I even see on their list some 285/65-R18, pretty close to the NTG's I use. I don't think I had those BFG choices when I needed offroad tires.
Yeah, I think BFG came out with the 265/65/18 TA/KOs fairly recently - like a year ago or so - the overall circumference is just a smidgen larger than the 285/60s, so if they rub it won't be much more than the Nittos (yours must be pretty worn by now, so they probably don't rub anymore... :D ), under full compression or full steering lock - that's when my Coopers rub a little bit, anyway. The BFGs cost a lot more than the competition, but they have quite a reputation. 285/65 would be pushing it IMHO. Adam tested a set of Cooper Discoverer STT sized 275/65/18 a while back and reported too much rubbing already. With that much sidewall and width you may also come dangerously close to those upper control arms inside the front wheel wells.

I am very happy with the Coopers, though.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Only 3 people on this website actually roll on LTZ's. When I punch that up on my HP 10B financial calculator I come up with 12 tires being sold.
Hey Goose...you missed the fine print...apparently I can't vote twice for my two friends who bought Coopers for their RRS's...so that's 9 more tires actually, since one chose to keep his cheapo 19 inch spare...

My only concern hearing from you guys is that the Coopers wear out faster than the Nittos...so $ / mile may end up being the same since the Coopers are cheaper than the Nittos.

So....can we see a cashflow please for Nitto please - chop chop!

:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jeffrey said:
When did BFG come out with AT KO's in 265/65/18? And I even see on their list some 285/65-R18, pretty close to the NTG's I use......
People who have used both claim that the Nitto is better than the BFG - there's a whole thread about this on the landcruiser website ih8mud.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If I drove an Accord I'd be concerned with how fast a tire wears out/longevity. Since my primary concern for the tires for my LR is traction, getting me and keeping me going through all terrains so I'm not pulled out by a fellow brand, then my primary concern forces me to choose a sticky tire. That's what the Coopers have on the Nitto's. Adhesion. My Nitto's are a much more dry compound than the Coopers, they're actually cracking like dry skin.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Umberto,
As you know YouTube is a fantastic video repository of people who tend to lie more toward the left side of a normal distribution curve of human intelligence. Hoping such folk would not let me down; I typed in "Accord off-road" and lo and behold...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here is how my Cooper's look:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Looks nice with the bike rack and headlight protectors...only thing missing are some nice dark smoked side markers...

:D

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Update...JP Morgan upgrades CTB this am. Good work guys!!!

Upgrade Goodyear and Cooper Tire from Neutral to Overweight: 1) industry
volumes are likely to stabilize/improve in the coming quarters; 2) price/mix vs. raw
mats spread turns positive in Q1 or Q2; and 3) signs of sequential volume stabilization
in other beaten down end markets. GT sentiment could also be aided by a capital
markets transaction to address $0.5B 09-end maturity, and we see a decent shot at GT
pulling off a deal (perhaps convert) given recent sector deals. Both stocks are up from
their depressed lows, and GM/Chrysler headlines may yet provide better entry points
in the coming weeks. But with earnings likely to move back into the black in H2, most
investors will likely be more willing to start paying for normalized earnings, arguing
for 50%-ish upside potential in both stocks even from current levels.
• Unlike new cars/homes, tires are a quasi-discretionary purchase, particularly in
the US where limited public transport suggests regular tire wear is inevitable. 1)
Downturns in the US consumer replacement segment since the early 80s have never
lasted more than a year on an annual basis, suggesting any downturn on a monthly
basis can probably last 18 months. The current downturn began in Feb-08 in the US
and Nov-07 in Europe — 18 months later would be right about now. We hear March
US replacement tire shipments will be down about 8%, notably better than the 15-
20% declines seen in each of the past 5 months. 2) With lower gas prices, vehicle
miles driven (VMD) declines have started to notably moderate (-1.6% in Dec.
vs. -4.7% avg. in prior 6 mos), another reason to be optimistic about prospects for
volume stabilization (72% correlation b/w VMD and replacement tire shipments). 3)
Lastly, it seems tire industry inventories are starting to come under control,
suggesting production can sequentially improve even faster than final sales going
into H2.
• Starting as early as Q1 and most likely by Q2, the industry will start seeing the
critical price/mix vs. raw mats spread at the EBIT level turn positive (and
potentially move into record positive levels by Q3/Q4.09), aided by a 50% plunge in
tire raw mats from mid-08 peak. Pricing remains a major concern longer term, but
there are no near-term signs of a pricing breakdown (flattish tire PPI); potential
upcoming capacity reduction (July labor contract expiry at GT) and any volume
improvement would obviously aid utilization rates / mitigate price concerns.
• GT’s other end markets not getting worse. Consumer OEM has been an often
overlooked headwind in recent quarters, but US SAAR seems to have sequentially
stabilized even before the benefits of TALF/potential scrappage (new car sales
already benefiting in Europe from scrappage and in Brazil from tax holiday).
Commercial OE/replacement tire demand is down in the doldrums, but US freight
tonnage is also seeing signs of sequential stabilization.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Cool, probably due to me buying a new set of Zeon LTZ last Monday. Yes, I saved the day - again. :lol: My only argument is that they shouldn't use the term "Overweight" or "Morbidly Obese", it sounds worse than "Neutral" :?:

Thanks goosey.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hello,just stepped over from the darkside (full fat rr) im running coopers and I love em! just recently became available over here in u.k.[attachment=0:1a8g5ilw]02042009198.jpg[/attachment:1a8g5ilw]

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
I now have 15K miles and 14 months on mine, and I would get another set without question. They are much cheaper than some others AND they look good and wear well and are monsters in the snow and field. It is pretty obvious they were aiming for the Nitos and they did a nice job. The Nitos have more sidewall art, but that was not worth the extra cash for me.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts
About this Discussion
114 Replies
29 Participants
ata9977
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing