RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a front suspension/steering rebuild and intend to use all OEM stuff. I have searched the forum and found the front shocks are Boge, but does anyone know who made the steering damper?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure who makes the OEM, but stay far away from All Makes 4x4. I ordered an OEM from a parts place here in the state, got the All Makes part, and it was a piece of crap. Started leaking in about 3 months, so I switched it for a Monroe that had lifetime warranty.

-Coach

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,374 Posts
AMcK said:
I am planning a front suspension/steering rebuild and intend to use all OEM stuff. I have searched the forum and found the front shocks are Boge, but does anyone know who made the steering damper?
I assume it was Boge.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
This is a big problem generally. The 4x4 market, perhaps even more than any other, is flooded with cheap sh1t which to be frank, is bloody dangerous. I know OEM is the way to go but it is very difficult to source the correct manufacturer and part. Allmakes/Britpart/Bearmach usually sell several layers of quality with their aftermarket parts. I think provided you stick with a recognised brand, then you should be OK.

I did have another workshop fit a track rod end using a 'quailty aftermarket' Allmakes part. That has now failed after just 12 months.

I know Genuine Parts appear expensive but there are cases where a genuine part is only slightly more than one of the recognised brands. Personally, I'm likely to promote Genuine Parts at a discount and OEM at market price. I actually think there is a market for OEM/Genuine at a reasonable price. This won't go down well with some people but I'd rather take this route than have a customer kill themselves, which becomes more likely as the aftermarket parts quality deteriorates further.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Woodhead? :think: Or something like that John?

I've see a TSB mentioning Monroe as the OEM suspension supplier but I don't know exactly what the timing was and for which run of Range Rovers that was for.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies - Rich I am with you on the need for quality and the fact that sometimes dealer prices aren't that much more and it's nice to know that the parts should have a decent service life, and you won't be doing the job again in a years time. In fact I have been able to buy some things cheaper from the dealers than after market eg bosch coil packs and O2 sensors were cheaper than anywhere else.

It's got to the point now the parts guy at our local dealer knows who I am when I call just from my voice on the phone :shock: , but I do get some discount from him. :D

With regards the steering damper, of the known quality makes, I have only seen Armstrong which Bearmach advertise besides genuine or Bilstein as an upgrade.

How do people rate the Bilsteins against oem?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
You should be getting up to 10% off at the parts desk. That's pretty good when the best they do for trade is 15%. :(

I fitted the Bilstein, but this is a gas charged damper. The Armstrong (and Genuine Part) is a standard oil damper. I was going to change the Bilstein out for the Armstrong when I encountered the Death Wobble, but since curing that I never got around to changing it. I'm not sure where to go with it, but I actually favour the Armstrong unit. The Bilstein itself is good quality (and so is the Armstrong BTW) but the gas damper is always pushing outwards due to the nature of gas charged dampers. I suspected in the past that this constant pushing may contribute to an imbalance on the steering, where when turning one way, the same way as the damper expands, the steering is lighter than turning the steering the other way. I must say I can't tell the difference any more but that may be due to other new steering components and the gas damper wearing slightly. The Bilstein is a big damper when you put it next to the Armstrong.

If I was you, go Armstrong. They cost a fraction of the Bilstein and it's similar quality (if not OEM?) to what Land Rover wanted to put on there in the beginning.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Have a Delphi De-Carbon Gas Damper fitted, has been on Car 3-4 years now and never had a problem with it. No "Death Wobble" or "Tram Lining" and the Car goes where I point it which is more than I can say when it had an O.E. Oil Filled Damper Fitted.
Truck also has 20" Supercharger Rims Fitted.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I've had the de-carbon on as well but had similar handling issues. That's why I got the Bilstein.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Rich998a said:
Woodhead? :think: Or something like that John?

I've see a TSB mentioning Monroe as the OEM suspension supplier but I don't know exactly what the timing was and for which run of Range Rovers that was for.
Yes thats it Woodhead, now Woodhead is part of Monroe!

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
john-sussex said:
Yes thats it Woodhead, now Woodhead is part of Monroe!
Well that could be the answer to the original question... :think: That would explain the Monroe link.

·
Registered
701 Posts
This is very interesting. I'm glad you all decided to discuss this because, I was about to buy a cheapo one myself without knowing better. I guess I will be spending the extra money on a quality one now. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well decided to go genuine in the end and got it cheaper from local dealer than I could from Bearmach.
Comparing the old with new I could definitely feel the difference in resistance and it has made a difference to the front end shake we were getting, although still a little there so some further investigating required :think:

There were no clues as to who it is made by other than it was made in Spain, (the one removed was made in England)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts